Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by wolftownjeff
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 14.26.30 (resized).png
prototype board (resized).png

#1 12 days ago

Swink's snackbar mod (in all its versions) has been *the* mod the get for Creech for a good while now. When I received mine, I was really impressed with the craftmanship and attention to detail. More importantly, it just looks great - really adding a swag of character to a game that's already filled with it.

A little project that I've been thinking about for a while now is a lighting mod for the snackbar, some kind of RGB colour changing for the 'neon' strip, and a way to animate the letters of s-n-a-c-k-b-a-r so that it looks and behaves a bit more like a vintage neon sign.

Over the last few days I've had the chance to work on this project a bit, and have made some good progress.

* Arduino microcontroller
* Powered by the snackbar insert, so plug n play with the existing snackbar lighting
* Neon strip lighting colours controllable via DIP switch (7 colours), single or multiple colour mixing
* Snackbar wording lighting colour (7 colours) controllable via DIP switch
* Two animation patterns available for both strips, selectable via DIP
* A guarantee that the ugly white PCB you see below will never *ever* be used by me (ever) again. Unless I'm working on a boyz II men mod. I sweaar!

I always try to make things as easy to install as possible (and reversable) but there's a few considerations when powering from the insert. During attract mod, the insert flashes on/off every second or so, which doesn't play nicely with the arduino's 2s boot time. After doing a bit of research on that today I think i can skirt around that by using the optiboot boot loader, which drastically reduces boot times to something like 60ms. Yet to test that, so tba.

The other issue is that even when the snackbar insert is on, it flashes, which means that the voltage won't be constant. It behaves similar to an unsmoothed rectified voltage. I haven't scoped it, but it's approximately every 100ms . Obviously that isn't going to work with the power section I had planned, but as per how you would smooth a rectified input, adding a 5600uf smoothing capacitor to the power input resolved it.

Anyway, enough chit chat. Video or it didn't happen!

Comments, feedback, verbal attacks, fawning praise.. all welcome.

prototype board (resized).png

----------------------

Post #33 - Expected Price Information

#2 12 days ago

Very cool.

#3 12 days ago

Nice! Do you have the MikeD mod?

#4 11 days ago

Nah - i'm more of a green hologram kinda guy!

#5 11 days ago

Great work, love it

#6 11 days ago

Proper love this. Awesome job.

#7 10 days ago

That finishes it right off

#8 8 days ago

The move your snackbar (modception) mod gets a mention on the pinball show podcast ep 24. Thanks Zach & Dennis!! Humbled.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5AYkQ7BjjPHTLYoez5XWty?si=lruwWMeLTJe0xuaNp5JX6g

(51 mins in if you're a bit lazy)

New rev of the board getting delivered next week. Will open the list to UK first then will announce here a few weeks after that. More details soon.

Thanks to everyone for all the interest and support.

#9 8 days ago

Great work mate

you took the signage to a new level - looks awesome...

#10 6 days ago

I’ll be watching and waiting for the list!

#11 6 days ago

New revision with correct signage (thanks swinks!) and the new smoothing cap.

Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 14.26.30 (resized).png
#12 6 days ago

Starting a list for chaps outside the UK? I’m in!

#13 6 days ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

Starting a list for chaps outside the UK? I’m in!

Great, thanks for the support! Added.

#14 6 days ago

also for those interested I am doing one last run of Snackbar Mod's in which you can use this fantastic addition

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swinks-cftbl-snackbar-mod-v5-last-ever-run

#15 6 days ago

Awesome mod for an awesome mod!!

Well done - looking forward to the list opening up

#16 6 days ago

Did someone say “list”? I’m in . . . this looks great!

#17 6 days ago

I’m in please.

#18 5 days ago

Nice one, all added to the OS list. Big thanks!

#19 5 days ago

I'd be interested in one of those snack bar lighting mods

#20 5 days ago

Interested as well...

#21 5 days ago

Sign me up please

#22 4 days ago

I'd like to to be in too!

#23 4 days ago

No probs - all added. Thanks very much everyone, great to get so much interest and support.

Looks like I'm going to need to put another pcb order through!

#24 4 days ago

Can I throw my name into the list? This is awesome, excellent work and thank you for sharing with the community!

#25 3 days ago

Sure thing, and thanks. Added.

#26 3 days ago

I’ll take one as well

#27 2 days ago

Great stuff. On the list as well.

#28 2 days ago

Looks like a list is filling up! The potential is large; one per Jady SnackBar mod, that's alot!

#29 2 days ago

I'll buy one

#30 2 days ago

Nice one, thanks for the support - added.

#31 2 days ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

Looks like a list is filling up! The potential is large; one per Jady SnackBar mod, that's alot!

heck, I sold my creech recently but keeping the very very last production mod for my display cabinet which will have this mod in it - it looks very cool

#32 1 day ago

I apologize if I missed it, but what’s the price for this? I’m interested though, as I’m on Swinks list already, so please add me here as well.

#33 1 day ago

No you didn't miss it - I was going to post something a bit more formal once the final testing round had been completed.

Delivered to to the UK, the cost is looking like it is going to be £70.

Delivery to the US is around £20 per board. So, in USD the cost is looking like $119 delivered.

For other countries (we have some on the list in Canada, France, and Australia) assume around £20 delivery but we can work out on a case by case.

Also, added you to the list Many thanks!

#35 10 hours ago

Nice one. Added, and thanks for the support.

#36 5 hours ago
Quoted from stumblor:

No you didn't miss it - I was going to post something a bit more formal once the final testing round had been completed.
Delivered to to the UK, the cost is looking like it is going to be £70.
Delivery to the US is around £20 per board. So, in USD the cost is looking like $119 delivered.
For other countries (we have some on the list in Canada, France, and Australia) assume around £20 delivery but we can work out on a case by case.
Also, added you to the list Many thanks!

Awesome, thanks for confirming the price as well as adding me to the list.

#37 1 hour ago

Add me to the US list please.
Looks great.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Boards
PinSound

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside