• 98 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 days ago by stumblor
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4172ACED-146B-453F-9608-35DB68A6D640 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
434AC826-EF8A-43BD-97BF-FEC88A9FBA73 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
5CDC2BC2-E7B1-4906-A7E7-C96A0BE14103 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
EE011D20-1499-49C7-8289-36BDC46F823C (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
268D57D7-0425-411E-9D8B-519CAC1197E2 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
888EDE76-CAAB-4F90-9C7A-36745B441964 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
ACAAC4B1-9350-4298-BC42-A33999CBC67B (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
1C8939DE-ED76-4DE1-8843-9DB0EC6E29DA (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
F07E2BE8-922C-49D4-916F-70131797DE64 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
20210407_151705 (resized).jpg
20210411_113325 (resized).jpg
20210407_181247 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
1E30B36E-A91C-4C32-90EB-78C042215CB4 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

[Bear with me - short intro first]

For those that don't know me, my name is Davey. I'm an Australian, now living in London with a lovely English wife and two kids who sounds like they're extras in 'The only way is Essex'. Over the last 3 years I've gotten heavily back into pinball, buying and selling, and shopping out games when time permits. One of my recent shops was creech. Even though I promised my wife I would keep a lid on it - I went completely OTT (shhh). Spending way too much and creating all kinds of tasty mods for it.

I've been slowly bringing these mods to market, and have been humbled by how much interest, appreciation and support I've received. Some of you may have seen my first mod, Move you Snackbar, which was a lighting mod designed to light up the Swinks Snackbar as though it was a vintage neon sign.

Which brings us to the main event.

--

*THE CHASE ECHO*

The new mod I've been working on is a replacement chase board in CFTBL, and is called the "Chase Echo". It aims to introduce some new patterns to the chase lights in the ramp and bowl, and (most importantly) fade the LEDs in a nice way so the don't look so static and on/off-y. A few of you might know that there has already been a couple of attempts at a redesign for this board, both as a direct repro and also some that provide additional patterns, but none so far that has managed to implement proper LED fading.

Until now of course.

Features:

* Plug and Play! Old chase board comes out, this board goes in.
* Arduino Nano microcontroller
* Trailing edge AC dimming
* 14 Unique Chase Patterns
* Fully controllable pattern selection (via DIP switches)
* Random or Linear pattern selection (via DIP switch)
* Fully compatible with LEDOCD & Afterglow GI boards

Here's a little video that I produced to show the lovely patterns. Put your headphones on, the music is great.

Build log, which covers the initial attempts using DC, and the move to the current 1.1 AC powered version.

Documentation

Price is £129 (approx $169 USD). Postage to US and AU (and pretty much anywhere else) from the UK is approx $25, slightly cheaper for EU. If you need the additional cabling for LEDOCD GI or Afterglow GI boards, it's another 10 pounds on top.

Let me know what you think. The list is now open!

#2 3 years ago

Love when people improve and enhance games, great job
GLWS

#3 3 years ago

Please put me on the list for this latest cool stumblor mod, Davey!

#4 3 years ago

Put me on the list.

#5 3 years ago

Yup, sign me up for this one as well, Davey.

#6 3 years ago

Please sign me up, the snack bar mod is awesome, can’t wait for this one!

#7 3 years ago

If this is even half as good as the Move Your Snackbar mod then I am most definitely in. The MYS is fantastic. You can tell you really put your time, heart, and technical knowledge into it.

I won't even hesitate on this one. Sign me up.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Please put me on the list for this latest cool stumblor mod, Davey!

Quoted from 1967Firebird:

Put me on the list.

Quoted from evileye:

Yup, sign me up for this one as well, Davey.

Quoted from n4297m:

Please sign me up, the snack bar mod is awesome, can’t wait for this one!

Quoted from Fifty:

If this is even half as good as the Move Your Snackbar mod then I am most definitely in. The MYS is fantastic. You can tell you really put your time, heart, and technical knowledge into it.
I won't even hesitate on this one. Sign me up.

Woop woop great stuff.. thanks so much everyone! All on the list.

#9 3 years ago

PM sent to be put on the list.

Gord

#10 3 years ago

Hey Davey!
I think you said I’m already on the list but here’s to double make sure!

#11 3 years ago

W O W! Yep, please add me to this list too lol! Love it.

#12 3 years ago

Looks great Does it replace the original board and where’s it located on the machine

Cheers Peter.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

PM sent to be put on the list.
Gord

Nice one - many thanks!

Quoted from qbass187:

Hey Davey!
I think you said I’m already on the list but here’s to double make sure!

Yep - gotcha from the MYS thread Eric, thanks!

Quoted from dmacy:

W O W! Yep, please add me to this list too lol! Love it.

Great, thanks for the support! On.

Quoted from Gorgar1:

Looks great Does it replace the original board and where’s it located on the machine
Cheers Peter.

Yep the old chase board comes out and the new board goes in with the same connectors. The old chase board is center back under the playfield, you can see the location in the documentation I posted above. I designed it to be as simple and plug n play as possible. The only consideration is if you are using an LEDOCD GI board or an Afterglow GI board, then a couple of extra leads are required (which are supplied). Let me know if you like to be added to the list.

#14 3 years ago

The classic pattern seems a little slow, can these be customized? At any rate put me down for one please.

#15 3 years ago

Ok I’m in please add me to the list pricing in USA Dollars? I’m hoping Aussies dollars as your an Aussies lol

#16 3 years ago

Everyone really enjoys the snack bar mod!
I installed a Bill Ung chase light board for $90 but after watching your video I want one of yours.
Please add me to the list.

Thanks,
jeff

#17 3 years ago

Davey,

Add me to the list. PM sent!

#18 3 years ago

Please add me to the list too Davey.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Asmig:

The classic pattern seems a little slow, can these be customized? At any rate put me down for one please.

Two steps ahead of ya! I noticed this also after comparing it to the original, the one in the video is the older version. I'll post another video soon showing the updated version. Also added you to the list, many thanks.

As for configurability, I've written the pattern sequencer as an API, which means that new pattern configs should be easy to implement - even by the community should people be interested in doing so. This might take the form of a daughter board sitting under the Arduino Nano with an SD card reader containing the new pattern config files. The files would specify what pattern to edit (1-14), what spin function to use, what fading function to use, and how fast each of them should be. The spin and fade patterns can also sidechain each other, meaning that as the spin increases, the fade width can be increased or decreased accordingly (see the pattern called 'Changer' for an example of this).

This is just an idea at this point. If enough people are interested I'll try to get something put together - hopefully with a better explanation!!

Quoted from Gorgar1:

Ok I’m in please add me to the list pricing in USA Dollars? I’m hoping Aussies dollars as your an Aussies lol

Haha, 'fraid not! USD. I'll update the main post to better explain, thanks. Added!

Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Everyone really enjoys the snack bar mod!
I installed a Bill Ung chase light board for $90 but after watching your video I want one of yours.
Please add me to the list.
Thanks,
jeff

Ah thanks a lot Jeff! Nice of you to say. I also bought one of Bill's boards before the idea occurred to me to have a go myself. Bill is a top guy.

Quoted from ToucanF16:

Davey,
Add me to the list. PM sent!

Quoted from wcbu64:

Please add me to the list too Davey.

All added - thanks very much!

1 week later
#21 3 years ago

Threads been quiet, so please add me to the list. Thanks!

#22 3 years ago

Add me also to the list. Thanks!

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from SolarGarlic:

Quoted from AnthonyT:

stumblor is in the UK which is under a massive lockdown right now. That would be my guess why things are more quiet.

You guys are going to really enjoy this mod.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

stumblor is in the UK which is under a massive lockdown right now. That would be my guess why things are more quiet.
You guys are going to really enjoy this mod.

Thanks Tim. Yeah it's been pretty nuts. London in under 'Tier 4' restrictions at the moment which meant that we had to cancel the relatives coming over for Christmas (my cousin and his new family are in London too). Not having as much stuff to cook and prepare meant that I hit the sauce a little early yesterday so am paying for it a bit today! Gotta work out what to do with all the leftover turkey too..

Just finishing off the last round of 'Move you Snackbar' mods (10 or so - plus Swinks' one!), had a couple of requests for extras before I close the line down, such as it is. MYS mods will still be available ongoing, but will have to sit behind whatever mod is being focused on at that time. Once that winds down, I'll start building the Chase Echo. Couple of weeks away yet, likely mid jan before all the parts arrive and I start fulfilling the first orders. Hold tight, more updates on that coming very soon.

In the past few weeks I've been approached by a bunch of people who are looking for a bit of Arduino and/or lighting help for projects they are working on, which is awesome, and I'm keen to help out anywhere I can. There's talk of edge lit acrylics being triggered by shaker motors, topper lighting triggered by game modes, auto calibrating eddy boards triggering lighting rigs - and some other stuff. Lots of fun, and loving the enthusiasm from people coming up with these ideas, so trying to fit the designs in where I can.

Quoted from SolarGarlic:

Quoted from AnthonyT:

Thanks very much! Added

1 week later
#25 3 years ago

Saw this when announced, didn’t grab your move your snackbar mod but this is very tempting. Please add me to the list

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Saw this when announced, didn’t grab your move your snackbar mod but this is very tempting. Please add me to the list

Sure thing, added. Hey, I'm from Canberra too ! (Torrens)

Last time I was there I went to the Basement in Belco with my nephews and had a great afternoon playing all their rock themed pins. It was only last year but seems like a lot longer considering everything that has happened since. Are you northside or south?

#27 3 years ago

In other news, it's time to start building! *applause*

The first round of Chase Echo emails have gone out, look out for yours in a pinside inbox near you!

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

In other news, it's time to start building! *applause*
The first round of Chase Echo emails have gone out, look out for yours in a pinside inbox near you!

Refreshing inbox nothing yet

#29 3 years ago

The habit trail and whirlpool are only lit during mulitball and in attract mode (and a brief flash at the start of the next ball) - is that right?

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The habit trail and whirlpool are only lit during mulitball and in attract mode (and a brief flash at the start of the next ball) - is that right?

I believe so. Maybe during Super Scoring as well?

Got my invoice. Payment sent! I'm already excited to install this!

#31 3 years ago

Yep multiball and attract are the main ones, but it does also seem to come on randomly throughout the game for a few seconds at a time as well.

Quoted from Gorgar1:

Refreshing inbox nothing yet

Loving the enthusiasm! Won't be long now, but a couple of rounds to get through first. The Chase Echo takes a bit longer to build than previous mods just due to the sheer number of parts that are on it, but I'm keen to get things moving as swiftly as is possible. Appreciate everyone's patience. We'll get there!

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Yep multiball and attract are the main ones, but it does also seem to come on randomly throughout the game for a few seconds at a time as well.

Loving the enthusiasm! Won't be long now, but a couple of rounds to get through first. The Chase Echo takes a bit longer to build than previous mods just due to the sheer number of parts that are on it, but I'm keen to get things moving as swiftly as is possible. Appreciate everyone's patience. We'll get there!

You can add me to the list as well. Please and thank you. -Tommy

#33 3 years ago

Sure thing Tommy - just sent you a PM!

#34 3 years ago

Just out of curiosity, how many folks are now on the list and how many boards are created in each batch? I am just trying to get a feel for where I am on the list.

Your CFTBL chase lamp echo board is one of the most highly anticipated Creech mods in a long time and judging from the videos will add an amazing light show to the game and that it supports LEDs is just icing on the cake.

Gord

#35 3 years ago

Thanks Gord, that's kind of you to say. It's been a long time in the making - development for this took about 10 times longer than usual due to all the DC/AC problems - so it's nice to finally be in the position to get them out to people.

There are 37 currently on the list, which is amazing considering it hasn't been open very long. I try to build in batches of 8, as that is the easiest for me to manage and keep track of. If I'm doing well (and people respond promptly to PMs!) then I can get through a batch in about 2 weeks. You can PM me for your position number if you like, not sure if people want that information posted publicly.

2 weeks later
#36 3 years ago

Apologies about the lack of updates recently - the Stumblor lab has been working round the clock, cooking up the next round of tasty pinball mods. Lots of exciting stuff on the way, all of which will be announced in due course. Alongside that development work, I've been in the workshop with a hot soldering iron, sucking up the fumes, and getting the final round of MYS mods out the door - and excitingly, starting on the build the first Chase Echo boards. *woop*

So let's get em out the door! Tag em and bag em!

Round two imminent - aiming to get 8 done this round. These guys take an AGE to build. So many parts!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Apologies about the lack of updates recently - the Stumblor lab has been working round the clock, cooking up the next round of tasty pinball mods. Lots of exciting stuff on the way, all of which will be announced in due course. Alongside that development work, I've been in the workshop with a hot soldering iron, sucking up the fumes, and getting the final round of MYS mods out the door - and excitingly, starting on the build the first Chase Echo boards. *woop*
Round two imminent - aiming to get 8 done this round. These guys take an AGE to build. So many parts!
[quoted image]

No worries as your Chase Echo board looks to be well worth the wait.

Gord

1 week later
#38 3 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

[quoted image]

I would be interested in buying if you are still making them. Thanks.

#39 3 years ago

Yes mate only just started - the second build round kicked off last week. Got you down on the list now, many thanks for the support.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

[quoted image]

Sweet improvement for a Creech. Would you add me to your list on the next build too?

#41 3 years ago

Late to the party but you can definitely put me on your list for a future run.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from dusin1:

Sweet improvement for a Creech. Would you add me to your list on the next build too?

Quoted from Lopa:

Late to the party but you can definitely put me on your list for a future run.

Fashionably late Sure thing got you both down now. Thanks!

3 weeks later
#43 3 years ago

Bump! Looking forward to mine! Just installed your Move Your Snackbar mod.

1E30B36E-A91C-4C32-90EB-78C042215CB4 (resized).jpeg1E30B36E-A91C-4C32-90EB-78C042215CB4 (resized).jpeg223774D9-D6D3-4A7A-A2FD-0DDEEBB8E3EE (resized).jpeg223774D9-D6D3-4A7A-A2FD-0DDEEBB8E3EE (resized).jpeg753BE364-DD3E-4D01-B5E4-49829E66F69C (resized).jpeg753BE364-DD3E-4D01-B5E4-49829E66F69C (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#44 3 years ago

Rightio!

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. I've been deep deep *deep* in the trenches, debugging some annoying issues that Fifty raised with regards to GI OCD compatibility. Although it's never great to find issues with products out in the field, great that they were raised early(ish) and could be addressed. Nice one Tim, I owe you a beer, even though it's been a rough few weeks.

* Warning: Nerd talk ahead *

GI OCD (and its cheaper EU counterpart, the Afterglow GI) both use a method for drawing power that involves converting the 6.3VAC GI lines into DC, by way of an 'ideal' diode bridge. After doing this conversion, the ground that is generated from this process is then combined with 'pinball GND' - the GND that comes in via the ribbon cable. Unfortunately, a by-product of the ideal diode bridge is that it shifts the AC ground reference up by 0.6V. Usually fine, but since creech still uses the AC lines, this artefact culminated in the reverse facing ramp/whirlpool LEDs appearing dimmer than their forward facing counterparts.

If you're still awake, and enjoy flagellating yourself with obscure pinball debugging, feel free to checkout our path to a solution over on pinballinfo. Special thanks to Vimtoman and DAFlippers for their help and expertise.

https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/one-for-the-boffins.49015/

So where are we? A new board revision is what!

Introducing... v1.2. New board design, GI OCD fixes, new GI OCD cabling. All my boards will now be SMD fabricated as much as possible, which will mean better quality, and faster order fulfilment. I'm super stoked because it will mean less hours in the dead of night inhaling solder fumes and freaking out that I'm going slowly going bat sh-t crazy because of it.

Existing users have been contacted and offered swaps on the new boards. Those in the current production batch - not long to go now! I'll be in touch soon with everyone laying out the finer details. Massive, massive thanks for everyone being so cool and rolling with the peaks and troughs of small-guy mod production. It can be a rocky road sometimes, but its heartening that everyone without exception has been supportive and cool with the delays.

All the best and here's to looking forward!

Davey

#45 3 years ago

Also here's a bit of a sneaky peaky on whats coming up next. This one would have been out sooner, but well, you know.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Also here's a bit of a sneaky peaky on whats coming up next. This one would have been out sooner, but well, you know.[quoted image]

I am the only one that gets aroused seeing these teaser boards?

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I am the only one that gets aroused seeing these teaser boards?

Those 3D renders are tasty aren't they. Too pretty not to share!

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Those 3D renders are tasty aren't they. Too pretty not to share!

Those SMD caps look like little oil refineries.

#49 3 years ago

Awesome I thought you’d forgotten me lol and I didn’t want to annoy you :/

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

Awesome I thought you’d forgotten me lol and I didn’t want to annoy you :/

No way, my uber professional excel spreadsheet has a mind like a steel trap! Nope everyone is accounted for and will be getting PMs soon. Part availability has also been a little bit tricky, with my fabricator running out of an opto coupler I need and mouser running late on orders due to the texas power outages. All fun and games. Rest assured everyone who has expressed interest will be getting PMs, hopefully in the next 1-2 months, and many even sooner. Thanks again for your patience.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 24.00
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stumblor-chase-echo-a-redesigned-chase-board-for-cftbl-new?hl=jodannar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.