(Topic ID: 176778)

Merry Christmas to me - Student Loans - PAID!!!!!!

By NPO

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Yoski
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Shes_trying-ND-cheerleader (resized).png
FREE - Student_Loans_Dec_2016 (resized).jpg
IMG_1210 (resized).PNG
Freedom-yell (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider npo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

This may not be a huge deal here on Pinside, but I had to share this.

Today, I made my final payment on my federal subsidized student loans. I am student loan debt FREE!!!!!

I started off with $17k; I paid $14k of it off this year. Got tired of paying half the year in interest alone. Earned my BSEE in August 2011, now it is said, done, and paid for!!!

Not a story I expect to get a lot of attention here, and that is 100% fine. With the struggle of paying off student loans being VERY real for millions of students, it is nice to know that this is over for me, and I never have to worry about school loans again.

Next up, going to USC (California, not Carolina) for my Masters in Systems and Architectural Engineering. Being active duty, the Post 9/11 Bill will pretty much take care of the bill, so when I'm done, I will have my Masters with zero student loan debt across the board.

BAM!

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Great job!...Thanks for not asking me to pay them for you.

Asking me to have you pay them? There was such an option??? Man, wish I had known!

J/K - in all seriousness though, what do you mean by this? To me, paying them was the only option and certainly more honorable as this was MY responsibility to take care of.

Is there some situation where students are requesting others to pay their debts off for them? If so, man, that kinda sucks. No sense of accomplishment having someone else do it...!

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yes, he is making a reference to those millienals that want the government to simply forgive their student loans (meaning have everyone else satisfy them with their tax dollars). Not starting a political discussion, just pointing out his reference so you don't think it was targeted in some way.

Ahhhhh! I'm tracking, now. I can't imagine doing that. No way. This was my responsibility. I'll be damned if someone is giving me a handout. I was born in 81, so I feel in that awkward "am I or am I not a millenial?" quandary. If so, I'll gladly go against that stereotype.

Definitely didn't take it personally. I appreciate the explanation and the kudos.

No one is paying my debts but me. We need mend and women who are willing to take their responsibilities head on.

Next up, Masters!!! That journey begins 2nd week of January 2017.

#25 7 years ago

I listened to this many times today !!!

#51 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Atta boy buddy. So will I see ya at the Louisville show ? Hope so, but Cali sounds much nicer anyway. Good luck dude and thanks for yer informative threads.

Hey bud!

So, unfortunately no. My PCS to Eglin AFB has me reporting 28 February - the Tuesday before the Louisville show. Heartbreaker - I know.

I will be a distance learning student at Eglin AFB (Florida Panhandle), taking classes at USC, while serving my time with the USAF.

I am tentatively planning to attend the TPF in March, PAPA Show in April (if they allow spectators?), and Pinburgh in July. This is all tentative of course.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

That's nice. But an EE degree can easily top that. I passed that wage range with an EE degree long ago. Fortunately, I got my degree while it was still affordable.
NPO picked an excellent degree especially if he tops it off with Systems Engineering.

I appreciate such a kind response.

Problem with being in the military: 2 officers - 1 officer with BSEE and the other officer with a BSEE and a MS SE - guess who makes more?

Neither: they make EXACTLY the same amount (given they are the same rank with same time in service).

It sucks, but it is what it is. The free healthcare balances the difference in pay for me. Plus the pension is what I am going for. 1/2 my paycheck for the rest of my life to sit at home and watch Maury Povich tell someone: "You AAAAREEEE the father!!!" - yep - worth it.

On a conclusive note, checked my student loans. Payment went through - I AM FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

FREE - Student_Loans_Dec_2016 (resized).jpgFREE - Student_Loans_Dec_2016 (resized).jpg

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Hopefully that works out for you. My employer had the same plan when I started 31 years ago. They froze it about five years ago so now I'll get 33% instead of 50%. Actually a bit less since I'm doing the spousal survivor benefit. Gotta figure for that unless you're single and will stay that way.
Rumor is that Federal Government, including Military pensions will get modified in the years ahead. Like my employer said in a Q&A pamphlet; simply save more for your retirement. F them.

Agreed . Money is going into my TSP to be safe. Better to stay realistic than optimistic. I'm with you for sure!

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

You spelled TSPP wrong

That is such a horrible game. If I owned one, it would be my most expensive firewood ever.

I know, it won't be a popular opinion, but hey, it is what it is .

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

They say student loan debt has surpassed credit card and mortgage debt.

Check this out - compare student loan debt, credit card debt, and mortgage debt.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-card-data/credit-card-student-loans-mortgage-debt-comparison/

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider npo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/student-loans-paid?tu=npo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.