1421702824110.jpg
1421702800628.jpg
1421702155695.jpg
300px-Stern_520-5317-00_LE_Driver.JPG
IMG_4067.JPG
IMG_4043.JPG
IMG_4047.JPG
#1 9 years ago

My machine at home started having an issue with the right flipper.

While playing, it will get stuck upward... Then eventually come back down for no reason.
Then it will on it own, activate like I pressed the flipper like a stutter step.

I looked at the switch on the button, it appears normal compared with the left flipper which works fine.

Any suggestions? Do I need to replace the flipper mechanism? New to pinball repair.

Thanks!
Brian

#2 9 years ago

I'd be tempted to swap left and right flipper switch to see if problem moves. Maybe a short across the fiberboard spacers ?

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

Just a thought. Is the plastic flipper button sticking in ?

If so remove it, wash it, dry. Stick back in.

#4 9 years ago

So finally had a chance to look at it. The flipper button appears to be fine... when I press it in, the switches make contact together normally like the left flipper button.

Now when I start the game, the right flipper automatically goes up and stays stuck.

Sorry new to pinball repair, it doesn't look like the switches are easily swappable? How would I need to do it? It appears that the wires leading away are soldered on to the four switches (fiberboard spacers)

IMG_4043.JPGIMG_4043.JPG IMG_4047.JPGIMG_4047.JPG
#5 9 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

Now when I start the game, the right flipper automatically goes up and stays stuck.

Forget the switches for now.

Check the transistor driving that flipper coil.

#6 9 years ago

sounds like the problem is electrical not mechanical? because once the game turns off, it goes back down?

#7 9 years ago

Go into the switch test menu in diagnostics and play with the right flipper button/switch and see if it acts normal (on/off) or stays active (on).

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

sounds like the problem is electrical not mechanical? because once the game turns off, it goes back down?

Yes. Bad transistor driving it. Sorry.

LTG : )

#9 9 years ago

the transistor, how do I test it... is it listed in the service menu? Like when I test for switches or coils. Not sure if I need the multimeter...

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

the transistor, how do I test it... is it listed in the service menu? Like when I test for switches or coils. Not sure if I need the multimeter...

You need a meter. Transistor has three legs. Check between outer two, left two, right two. See if it's shorted. Compare to other identical transistors.

YouTube is littered with short how to videos.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Go into the switch test menu in diagnostics and play with the right flipper button/switch and see if it acts normal (on/off) or stays active (on).

In the switch test, as soon as I activate the electrical, pull the white plug.... The right flipper goes up and stays on. I hear a humming, it sounds like the coil. Just a guess, newbie here...

#12 9 years ago

Where would the transitor be located in the machine? Going to look on YouTube for a tutorial...

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

Where would the transitor be located in the machine?

Drive board in the head of the game.

If you haven't done board repairs. Please get good help for this. You could easily cause more harm than good.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

In the switch test, as soon as I activate the electrical, pull the white plug.... The right flipper goes up and stays on. I hear a humming, it sounds like the coil. Just a guess, newbie here...

The flipper coil shouldn't have power if the coin door is open and your in test menu?

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Drive board in the head of the game.
If you haven't done board repairs. Please get good help for this. You could easily cause more harm than good.

This is funny, because right out of the box... I had a problem with the driver board in the backbox. A whole bank of switches wasn't working. It was the one to the right. So we had to get a full replacement from Stern. Any idea if the transistor is on this board? It's the one with the usb key.

I'm not good with the multimeter so may just get my pinball repair guy to look at it.

Kind of a bummer to have a second problem with the game so soon. The other two sterns I have are fine.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The flipper coil shouldn't have power if the coin door is open and your in test menu?

Correct, I turned it on to test.... should I try it with the power off?

#17 9 years ago

Doesn't sound like the switch. I was just directing you that way for extra confirmation. I don't know much about transistors and checking or replacing them. But I got my manual out. Ill let ya know if I find anything of use for ya.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

Correct, I turned it on to test.... should I try it with the power off?

Ya. Try the switch test with the high voltage off (coin door open) and see how the switch reacts in switch test.

1 week later
#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Ya. Try the switch test with the high voltage off (coin door open) and see how the switch reacts in switch test.

Yes, the switch works fine... Here's what I see for the right flipper. It does show the upper flipper switch on the display, but I assume they are both going on at the same time?

Any ideas? Still not sure where that transistor is on the driver board in the backbox.

IMG_4067.JPGIMG_4067.JPG
#20 9 years ago

So I think this thread is sending you on a wild goose chase. If the board transistor is bad, your symptom will be that as soon as you power on the game, the flipper will energize and stay energized until you power off or your fuse blows. Your symptoms are different. It requires the game to be started or switch test to be entered - not just for the game to be powered on. This means the cpu is controlling the flipper and telling it to rise. It is not a board transistor problem. Stop checking for that and move on. This is also not a coil problem.

Based on your symptoms, it's a flipper switch. You should be able to enter the switch test menu you have pictured above and press the flipper buttons and see the changes on the screen. Can you? The flipper switch should not show active unless you're pressing it. Somewhere in the chain, the flipper switch is making contact. It could be at your board in the switch input but it's more likely under the playfield in the wiring. Have you verified that the prongs on the switch aren't touching where the wires are soldered?

#21 9 years ago

sorry I misspoke previously... what I see on the switch test menu is only when I press down the right flipper button. The switch appears to be working normally. So when I'm not pressing it, nothing shows active.

The flipper only goes up when the power is on in test or when the game starts. Then stays up.

Sorry new to the wonderful world of pin repairs. Thanks for your assistance!

#22 9 years ago

Its in the banks of transistors at the bottom of the board above the molex plugs
1000% the problem. The one that controls that flipper is shorted.

300px-Stern_520-5317-00_LE_Driver.JPG300px-Stern_520-5317-00_LE_Driver.JPG
#23 9 years ago

Compare the coilstops to both flippers. If the thing in the middle of the coilstop to the right flipper is loose, that will make the flipper act this way.

#24 9 years ago

sorry the page only loaded one comment when i replied, it is for sure the transistor

#25 9 years ago

Once I figure out what one it is, how do I replace it? Is it something can be removed like a fuse or does it need to be soldered on the board? Where do I get a replacement part?

#26 9 years ago

Needs to be solidered. Find a board repair place near you, Google it. Or stereo repair electronics place that does boardwork repairs.

Its a $5 or less part. Once you find which transisor is bad with the multimeter. Take the info that is written on it. Find a replacement online or at a local electronics supplier. Also it will only take an experienced person about 2 min to remove and solider in the new one.

If you can not locally get someone to repair it.
Send it out for repair.

#27 9 years ago

Both Marco and Pinball Life sell these transistors. But do what Erak suggests above.
You do not want your first solder job to be on a brand new Stern CPU board.
Find someone local or send it off for repair.

#28 9 years ago

OMFG this thread is like talking to a bunch of folks with no ears or eyes lol. Either everyone is giving the wrong suggestions or the description of the problem is inaccurate. If this is caused by a board transistor as half the people here say is "1000%" the case, then the symptoms are different. Pay attention:

A transistor based problem - as soon as game powers on flipper is stuck on. This happens because the transistor is internally shorted and as soon as the game powers up the flipper becomes energized. Happens even before the game is done booting.

However, if the game requires pressing the start button or going into the test menu, then THIS IS NOT A TRANSISTOR PROBLEM. Instead, it's an issue somewhere in the cpu line where the cpu is telling the flipper to energize. This usually means the flipper switch is telling the cpu to energize the flipper.

But if we have absolutely eliminated the flipper switch (and I'm not sure we have as the photo shows upper flipper switch energized, and it's entirely possible stern switched the upper and lower right flipper switch wires at assembly time by accident) then there are other things that could cause a cpu to tell the flipper to energize. Some might be:
- bad connection on ribbon cables. Resets them all
- bad cpu or battery damage.

Something on these lines. The symptoms are important to diagnose the problem.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from tetris:

Compare the coilstops to both flippers. If the thing in the middle of the coilstop to the right flipper is loose, that will make the flipper act this way.

Wrong. A loose flipper or bad cool stop will not cause the flipper to energize as soon as the start button is pressed.

Quoted from erak:

Once you find which transisor is bad with the multimeter.

At least this is good advice. Always test the transistors with a multimeter before moving into soldering stage. A shorted transistor is very easy to test. On stern flipper transistor, tip of transistor and the metal back plate should not be shorted.

Quoted from tetris:

sorry the page only loaded one comment when i replied, it is for sure the transistor

Wrong. A bad transistor will cause the flipper to energize as soon as the game is powered on and will not wait for the start button to be pressed.

Quoted from erak:

Its in the banks of transistors at the bottom of the board above the molex plugs
1000% the problem. The one that controls that flipper is shorted.

Wrong. A bad transistor will cause the flipper to energize as soon as the game is powered on and will not wait for the start button to be pressed.

Quoted from bb2j3z:

sorry I misspoke previously... what I see on the switch test menu is only when I press down the right flipper button. The switch appears to be working normally. So when I'm not pressing it, nothing shows active

Then why does your picture show upper right flipper switch active? Actually it shows lower clipper switch active as well.

Quoted from bb2j3z:

The flipper only goes up when the power is on in test or when the game starts. Then stays up.

the game starts as in start button pressed, right? If you power on the game the flipper is down and does not go up until you press start, right? This is the point everyone has missed or ignored. And when you power off the game, the flipper drops, right? Then when you power it back on it stays dropped until you hit start button again, right? If these are not your symptoms please clarify.

#30 9 years ago

Are you the original owner? If so, call Stern. Let them troubleshoot and send you a new board if necessary.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

the game starts as in start button pressed, right? If you power on the game the flipper is down and does not go up until you press start, right? This is the point everyone has missed or ignored. And when you power off the game, the flipper drops, right? Then when you power it back on it stays dropped until you hit start button again, right? If these are not your symptoms please clarify.

Yes this is correct. It doesn't go up until I start the game. Press start.

One thing to add, it's a new stern. I'm the original owner. We did have a problem with the switches for an entire row, so I got a replacement board for the right one. It's the board with the usb slot. Everything was fine for awhile... then occasionally as I was playing the game, the right flipper would phantom flip after I used it. Now it's in a state where it will always be up when I start the game.

I played it some more and the flipper will come down if the game ends, or a ball drains, or if tilt is hit.

I'm probably going to call Stern this week, I may need to replace this board as well like we did for the other one. If I need to solder, I have a pin repairman that can do that for me.

#32 9 years ago

Yea. If this is a problem in a board, it'll be the one you replaced. Not the one with the transistors.

#33 9 years ago

With the game powered off, try reseating connector J3 on the CPU board (the one with the USB port). That connector is for the dedicated switches, which includes the flipper switches. When you remove the connector, inspect it closely for any loose wires. If it looks okay, reseat it and give it a try.

#34 9 years ago

I thought the flipper locked on when you closed the coindoor or pulled the interlock switch as stated in your previous post. Not started a game (pressed start).

Just a though, probably not the problem, and still could be something else. but are the wires solidered to the flipper switch bent and touching.
Or the capacitors that are on them touching or broken?

Since that flipper button controls both right side flippers.
If only the bottom flipper is sticking up and not the away team flipper.

When you push the switch test it should come up with this screen first.
Switch test none.

Then push the button in about 1/2 way and it should read.
R. Flipper button
Then pushed all the way in.
U.R. flipper button.

1421702155695.jpg1421702155695.jpg

1421702800628.jpg1421702800628.jpg
1421702824110.jpg1421702824110.jpg
1421702853550.jpg1421702853550.jpg

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

sorry I misspoke previously... what I see on the switch test menu is only when I press down the right flipper button. The switch appears to be working normally. So when I'm not pressing it, nothing shows active.
Sorry new to the wonderful world of pin repairs. Thanks for your assistance!

?????

So it goes up in test mode if interlock is pulled.

But only if start is pressed when not in test mode?

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

?????
So it goes up in test mode if interlock is pulled.
But only if start is pressed when not in test mode?

This backs up a upper switch issue as the flippers are active by flipper buttons on stern games when in switch test mode.

#37 9 years ago

I'm with markmon here as it does seem to be a problem with the switch. It's hard to tell from the pic for sure but it does look like the inner stack is touching which would activate the flipper in the fashion described.

OP - If those are touching with the button at rest then you need to bend them apart so they do not touch.

flipper.jpgflipper.jpg

#38 9 years ago

Maybe this will help. Here is what my stack looks like. Here is also a pick of the wires so maybe you can see if something is backwards. The orange wire should go in the inner stack.

ST flip 1.jpgST flip 1.jpg
st flip 2.jpgst flip 2.jpg

#39 9 years ago

I had this exact problem after a couple of plays with my ST premium. The right switch as you can see in the pic above (and stated) is stacked for both right flippers. I just had to adjust the switch correctly. I used the old business card as the gauge and it fixed the problem.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from DesTheopta:

I had this exact problem after a couple of plays with my ST premium. The right switch as you can see in the pic above (and stated) is stacked for both right flippers. I just had to adjust the switch correctly. I used the old business card as the gauge and it fixed the problem.

Thanks that was exactly the problem. Everything is working fine now.... Using a business card, worked the switch to pull it out a little. Glad to see it wasn't so difficult.

#41 9 years ago

Kudos to Markmon for keeping it simple and proving that all things being equal, the simplest answer wins.

Marc

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stuck-right-flipper-st-premium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.