Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dr_nybble
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I have a 1975 Big Ben. When I turn the machine on, the target relay engages, the score motor continues to rotate and the 3 B-E-N targets repeatedly try to reset. The manual states..as it should be, that it’s energized by the ‘B’ target through ‘E’ and ‘N’. I have verified continuity or lack thereof through this circuit so all is seemingly correct there. I have had both the main board and playfield on horses meticulously cleaning and verifying that all switch positions are NO or NC as they should be…2x now. Also that there’s no shorts or crosses between any of the tabs on the score motor or anywhere else best I can tell. No other relays are engaged as well that I’ve tried to manually trigger each to see if it altered anything. I have the manual and schematics, but I am novice at best trying to get this thing going.

2 things also worth mentioning:
When this first happened, I tried to hit the start button which in turn engaged the 50 point relay and it got a bit stinky before I pulled the plug and dismantled the machine to clean it. As soon as I smelled something I killed the machine and I didn’t discover which relay stunk until put the playfield on horses.

Also, initially all the playfield lights would remain dim except very briefly between target resets. Now they don’t light up at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m truly at a loss at this point.

#2 1 year ago

Check again the switch(es) that activate the target relay. Sounds like one of them is closed.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Check again the switch(es) that activate the target relay. Sounds like one of them is closed.

I’ve honestly checked them more than a dozen times. It takes all 3 targets dropped to complete the circuit. This last time before I posted, I tested continuity from switch to switch to switch to relay and back again.

I almost feel like I’ll have to desolder at this point. This problem was created by me as it was working previously, but hell if I can figure out what I bumped or whatever. Especially after 2x times setting it on horses, re-cleaning and close eyeballs on everything.

#4 1 year ago

Based on the schematic, that relay is powered either through all THREE switches (B E and N target switches) or the self-hold switch.

It seems unlikely that all three target switches are erroneously closed but still -- block one with cardstock to ensure it's not that.

Then block the self-hold switch with card stock to see if that stops it. Ensure that there are no shorts on the target relay itself where switch tabs might be touching etc.

Worst case you can desolder the R-BR wire on the self-hold switch to see if it is the self-hold path that is energizing it. This is switch 2A as shown in the manual.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Worst case you can desolder the R-BR wire on the self-hold switch to see if it is the self-hold path that is energizing it. This is switch 2A as shown in the manual.

So the R-BR is ok. Then I desoldered the BR-B and that is my issue. This feeds the ‘N’ target. But with it pulled from the relay I test continuity with the BLU-W 4 which feeds the ‘B’ target. I only get continuity thru the targets with the ‘E’ switch closed so I know it’s not the path between targets. I see that wire takes path to a marking I don’t understand on the schematics…”C. Ind. B” with a closed switch that is circled??

#6 1 year ago

Everything in a circle is a score motor switch. Check the schematic for the index cam, that is switch B the C means closed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stuck-relay-on-big-ben and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.