Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RWH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bewowm536.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

The leg levelers on an older game i have wont budge for me to level a game....Anyone have a good technique to get them turning?

#2 11 years ago

Not sure...it would be tempting to take pliers and try and force it but you don't want to ruin the threads. Maybe a liquid rust remover?

#3 11 years ago

What game is it on Jamie? I have some legs that are nice if you need them. They are painted black and look great.

#4 11 years ago

I would try something like liquid wrench and see if it will budge. You may have to put the leg in a vice grip and grab the old leg leveler with a locking wrench. Is it rusted???
    I have also heard heating them with a torch can work but I would do it as a last resort. I have never tried the heated method.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks Tom...liquid wrench is what I was trying to think of! I have some somewhere too just haven't used it in a while.

#6 11 years ago

It is a bit rusted..

Neil, it is a Countdown, but it is in Binghamton. -Nick

#7 11 years ago

If you need them, There yours. They would look good on that Countdown. They are Gottlieb type legs. No ribs. Just sell me that IM!

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

The leg levelers on an older game i have wont budge for me to level a game....Anyone have a good technique to get them turning?

PB blaster
    Adjustable wrench tightened down on the leg close to the leg leveler as to prevent bending/distortion then a wrench on the nut to loosen then maybe vice grips on the threaded portion(just make sure its on the side that does not have to have mangled threads go through the leg !)
    :idea:One other way is to double nut it at the top of the threads and thread out using the top nut to remove it then finish off with vice grips.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-it:

PB blaster
    Adjustable wrench tightened down on the leg close to the leg leveler as to prevent bending/distortion then a wrench on the nut to loosen then maybe vice grips on the threaded portion(just make sure its on the side that does not have to have mangled threads go through the leg !)

Beat me to it! PB Blaster for sure

#10 11 years ago

I clamp my leg into one of these. Then use vice grips. You can get some serious torque on that leveler. If it's really bad, soak it in some CLR first.

bewowm536.jpgbewowm536.jpg

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-it:

Adjustable wrench tightened down on the leg close to the leg leveler as to prevent bending/distortion

If it starts bending then do use a workmate.

As SchertzPinball said:

Quoted from SchertzPinball:

I clamp my leg into one of these

#12 11 years ago

+1 on the PB blaster...if its rusted up then there really isn't a better product IMO.

#13 11 years ago

Id use PB, WD, or Kroil if you can find it. Let it soak in for a few hours and go at it. Heat always helps but you would need to take the legs off and also have a torch.

#14 11 years ago

New legs...new levelers...problem solved.

#15 11 years ago

Had to take an angle grinder to one last week.

#17 11 years ago

Wire wheel on the threads, Kroil and let soak.
    A nut on the top and rap it a few times with a hammer.
    Work it back and forth a few times instead of just trying to unscrew it.
    Kroil is the best stuff I have ever used, overnight soak and you can remove muffler clamps.

#18 11 years ago

Spray it with some WD40 and let it sit a bit. I've put the game on it's ass, bolted the problem leg to the front of the machine because I don't have a vice/clamp, and usually always get the rusty ones off.

The 1 time I couldn't, the tire shop around the corner got it off in 10 seconds and refused any payment.

#19 11 years ago

A butane torch will do the job. Heat the leveler then apply some torque with a wrench and even the most stuck will become un-stuck. I don't look to save the leveler and knock off the loose foot to get to the square part then use vise-grips to twist it out.

#20 11 years ago

+1 for PB Blaster

#21 11 years ago

soak in vinegar, then try with crescent wrench to loosen.

#22 11 years ago

Penetrating oil and a propane torch. Then use a wrench or vise grips. Works like a champ.

6 years later
    #23 4 years ago

Just wanted to add a tip to this as i just encountered some rusted levelers on my new lethal weapon 3. I used pb blaster and still couldn't get nut movement. The nut was rusted to the base of the leg and it was too low to get a wrench on the actual leg bolt. It was just hard and awkward to try and hold the leg while yanking with max strength. And i don't have vice grips or channel locks. I ended up screwing another nut on the top of the bolt all the way down. this allowed me to wedge another wrench on the upper nut and push it against the side of the leg to create a handle. So one arm can push and one can pull. I was finally able to get some nut movement, and sprayed more pb blaster in the new gap. once i got the bottom nut screwed all the way down, the bolt itself started to unscrew as planned. Im sure the pb blaster had a lot to do with it, but hopefully the added nut wrench handle tip will help someone in the future! Cheers.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Wire wheel on the threads, Kroil and let soak.
    A nut on the top and rap it a few times with a hammer.
    Work it back and forth a few times instead of just trying to unscrew it.
    Kroil is the best stuff I have ever used, overnight soak and you can remove muffler clamps.

+1 on the Kroil. It's all I use.

John

#25 4 years ago

When I remove parts/units to be cleaned I take them outside and drench them in Pb blaster as the cleaner. Pb will dissolve any gummed grease etc. within an hour or less and gets them clean.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stuck-levelers?hl=kinghebes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.