• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
IMG_1015 (resized).JPG

#1 5 years ago

I just got this pin on Saturday ... I do NOT have the schematic yet ... I will order it this week from PB Resources. But I am IMPATIENT ... want to play my new pin ... ANY HELP would be appreciated !

CURRENT SITUATION > Start Button on coin door doesn't work ... If I manually activate the Start Relay >> score reels reset ... PF lights come on ... BG lights come on ... (YAY!!!) ... but GAME OVER is lit in BG and flippers nor any thing on PF work (credits showing on the credit wheel) ... I noticed the GAME OVER RELAY (in front of cabinet on the relay bank) is locked on ... if I manually pull the arm/lever away from contacts > the GAME OVER light in back box goes out and then the flippers and pop bumpers work (but don't think score) ... but Game Over relay makes horrible buzzing noise (metal plate trying to connect/vibrating against coil) ... so anyway > one BIG step closer to actually being able to play this thing but not there yet ... ANY IDEAS ??? Thank you in advance !!

#2 5 years ago

tilt relay?

#3 5 years ago

Is the game showing Tilt also? Is the Tilt Relay pulled in or just Game Over relay?

#4 5 years ago

Tilt Hold Relay pulled in ... Tilt Relay is not ... manually pulling Tilt Hold Relay away > causes lights to go out on PF and TILT to light up on BG

#5 5 years ago

Check your latch relays for cleanliness and good contact: AX, BX, DX.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Check your latch relays for cleanliness and good contact: AX, BX, DX.

I double checked the latch relays ... all looked pretty good ... slightly tweeked a couple that might not have been making great contact ... no change in the situation ... it's possible they are dirty (although inside cabinet was really clean and when I manually activated relays > I could see lights on PF changing ... not to say it might not be one dirty contact but guess I will wait for schematic for that ... HowardR taught me that !!! ...) ...

THANKS currieddog ... appreciate you trying to help me !!

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from SpaceTimeGuy:

it's possible they are dirty

You have to get in with some 600# sandpaper and give the contacts a cleaning. Doesn't do much good if they make contact but are too dirty to do their job.

1 week later
#8 5 years ago

Lightly sanded relays (AX, BX, DX, etc ... ) ... no change ... still won't play ... got the schematic in the mail from PBR this past Monday ... got it scanned at Staples. I will update this post when get a chance to work on it some more > it's been a really busy week ...

#9 5 years ago

I believe there are TWO slam switches in the backbox which prevent the game startup sequence from completing. Look next to the replay unit for one of them. The other one will be at the opposite side of the backbox near a score reel.

#10 5 years ago

Is it set to free play? Try activating the coin mech.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I believe there are TWO slam switches in the backbox which prevent the game startup sequence from completing. Look next to the replay unit for one of them. The other one will be at the opposite side of the backbox near a score reel.

I only see 1 slam switch in head (kind of in middle ... to the right of the credit wheel) ... was CLOSED > I put a folded up piece of paper in between contacts (making it OPEN) and then manually triggered the Start Relay in bottom of cabinet > NOTHING CHANGED ... Game Over still lit up in BG, Start Button not working, Flippers not working, I didn't try tripping anything on PF but don't think they would work.

Slam Switch in bottom of cabinet is Closed ... if I push it OPEN > PF lights go out and TILT lights up on BG.

Slam Switch on bottom of PF is OPEN .... if I push it CLOSED > PF lights go out and TILT lights up on BG.

Maybe you onto something here >> if slam switch in head is CLOSED and make when I make it OPEN and NOTHING CHANGES > THEN isn't there a problem some where in that circuit ???????

Also > maybe a problem ... when I manually activate the Start Relay > I see some sparking from the lower stack of switches on the #3 on the SCORE MOTOR (main brain) in bottom of cabinet ... is that a possible problem ???

THANKS !
Todd

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

Is it set to free play? Try activating the coin mech.

I'm not sure how to set a Gottlieb to FREE PLAY ... ? ... Credit wheel is showing 10 credits ...

When I manually activate Start Relay (in bottom of cabinet) > score reels reset, lights come on PF (were already on in BG) ... but GAME OVER in BG still lit up ... I tried manually tripping coin mech >nothing happens ... dropped a quarter in slot > nothing happens (no relays trip ... credits don't advance) .... BUT the wires are disconnected from the coil on coin door ... tried hooking them together > nothing happens ....

ALSO > maybe not related BUT MAYBE IS??? one of the black wires from the back of the PLAY COUNTER is disconnected and just "hanging there" (not touching anything tho) ... could that cause this?? when I manually activate Start Relay > the credit wheel does NOT reduce the credits by 1 ... and play counter does NOT advance .... just mentioning in case it could be related ... I talked to someone who has a DUOTRON but he never got back to me about where the other black wire from Games Played Counter goes to ... ??? I do not see any place it looks like it was connected to ....

THANKS !
Todd

#13 5 years ago

REMINDER >>> the GAME OVER Relay (in the lower cabinet) is locked on... if I pull the arm away (changing the position of switches) then the flippers work, thumper bumpers work, etc ... but does not score .... and makes buzzing/chattering noise as metal plate is still being attracted to coil ...

so POSSIBLE PROBLEMS >>>

1st Slam Switch in head ? seems to make no difference if OPEN or CLOSED ...

mystery > 2nd Slam Switch in head???

SCORE MOTOR #3 stack of switches is sparking ....

wires to coil on coin door are disconnected (isn't that common as the coil only controls coin jams??)

one black wire to PLAY COUNTER disconnected ....

only other thing I can think of is >>> on the bank of relays in the lower cabinet >far left relay ... the yellow wire is connected to a "tab" on the farthest left stack .. and yellow wire also connected to a tab on the stack to the right ... plus then there is a jumper wire going to another tab even farther to right ... JUST SEEMS FISHY ???? I will attach a photo ... the solder looks old to me tho ... so maybe it OK????

IMG_1015 (resized).JPGIMG_1015 (resized).JPG

#14 5 years ago

If you have an alligator clip jumper wire, connect it across the terminals of the slam switch in the backbox. If there was a bad connection on the slam switch then this should get it started.

#15 5 years ago

If the Replay Button doesn't activate the Replay Button (V) relay, diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#16 5 years ago

UPDATE: Thanks to help from HowardR >> my DUOTRON is working !!! The main problem was a contact that needed a little adjustment on the Start Relay ... THANK YOU >> HOWARD !! You have helped me with problems on a few pins ... and I have learned a lot from you ... but the most important thing I learned from you >> is to BE PATIENT, don't "fix a bunch of things that may not need fixing, get the schematic and figure out where the problem really is !!

#17 5 years ago

Hey @spacetimeguy
Thanks for the kind words. Glad I could help.
Howard

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 16.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other
$ 375.00
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stuck-in-game-over-duotron-gottleib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.