Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by rollinover
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

So Im dealing with a regular head bolt on a 80s Williams game, basically the female T nut has fallen out of the body wood groove and now I have a head bolt with a stuck on T nut that just keeps spinning.

I spent two hours with pliers, vice grips, and needle nose trying to hold the dropped out T nut and then crank the head bolt loose but it wont budge. I even tried to pull the head bolt upward with the back end of a hammer to get tension and try to loosen the head bolt still nothing.

I have a feeling the nut and bolt are somehow misthreaded over the years and now stripped.

Outside of a grinder or drilling out the top of the head bolt does anyone else have any other suggestions for this removal.

I have never dealt with a bolt this bad and I can really see why you should always throw a little grease in your body and leg bolts

#2 9 years ago

Sounds like a B/W System 11, they used locktite of those and heat the t nut was how you took them out. Best bet now is probably a small dremel with a cutting blade and take it off under the playfield and replace it. Or try a heat gun on the nut and use pliers and a screwdriver.

#3 9 years ago

Time to get the cutters out, safety glasses as well!

#4 9 years ago

I thought of the dremel but wasnt sure how that would work. its a system 7 but the T nut fell out of the wood and its kinda hard to get to underneath because there is a wood body wall in the way you have to reach out around to get to the nut. I think attacking the top of the bolt is pretty much my only way of taking it off, the bottom one is hard to get to and with a dremel it could get ugly with body damage.

whats the best method to take the top of the bolt shaved or drilled off, so the bolt drops thru

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Time to get the cutters out, safety glasses as well!

thanks...
    what kind?

#6 9 years ago

Be careful, but i have had luck with heating the bolt; and then hitting with a mallet.

The heat will cause the metal to expand then shrink bit, and also helps to break loose some corrosion (or loctite). Fireplace lighter or something like that on it for a few minutes. It may take a few times, but eventual works it way loose.

I would also find someone to help. Use the longest pliers and wrench you have. This will give you more leverage (force); and allow you to break it free.

Had the same problem on my Cyclone, but i did get it loose. Took about 15-30 minutes.

#7 9 years ago

If you can't get it off. I would recommend posting a picture of what you have to work with so people good at these sort of things can tell you what they would do.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from rollinover:

thanks...
    what kind?

Refering to the dremel or maybe the slower approach of a new hacksaw blade....

#9 9 years ago

You can try and sink screws tightly around the t-nut to hold it in place while you turn the bolt. Try to sink them in the notches and angled towards the nut

#10 9 years ago

yeah I have about a centimeter of clearance on the top of the bolt. the bottom T nut has barely any room. I have already taken out the playfield out to try to get better access to it but its still bad. both the bottom and top of the bolt only have about a centimeter or two of clearance between the wood body and head. I think chopping or drilling the big round top of the bolt would work like a charm and I dont want to use heat if I can help it. I just am trying to figure out what the best way to do this would be.

I have drilled out locks before but have had drill bits snap off while drilling so I want to take the smartest approach to this as I can, I have already tried the pliers and vice grips approach and it did not budge under tremendous torque.

again thanks guys for the tips. with the dremel would it take long to shave down the top big head of the bolt to be round? Im really leaning to attacking the top so the bolt will just fall thru into the cab bottom

#11 9 years ago

I like the hacksaw idea too. Im sure it would be slower but could I possibly chop the top of the headbolt off using a regular by hand hacksaw going back and forth?

#12 9 years ago

Yes that should work .

#13 9 years ago

Sometimes when I can't get a bolt loose, and even vise grips won't hold, I use a miniature pipe wrench. It will grab and not let go. If you had someone to help they could use a wrench on the bottom, and you on the top.

#14 9 years ago

Similar to what I have experienced in rusty leg levelers, in vice and wrenching back and forth until the metal breaks.

#15 9 years ago

I like the idea of the little pipe wrench. LOL you need miniature tools when dealing with those tight areas. thanks Chad for the idea. I am gonna try the hacksaw approach and maybe tape around the area not to cause too much damage. I banged the tools into stuff already but luckily it was all internal. man stuck bolts really stink. I will be buying a small cup of grease to use going forward. they built these games nice but when they deteriorate over time it can cause some nasty problems!

#16 9 years ago

also amazing how you can post a problem on this site and within minutes have multiple responses with many knowledgeable answers. this site rocks!

#17 9 years ago

maybe use some anti-seize when you put it back together, I put that stuff on everything with metal bolts and threads, never had a problem getting stuff back apart

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from bobbyt:

maybe use some anti-seize when you put it back together, I put that stuff on everything with metal bolts and threads, never had a problem getting stuff back apart

thanks that sounds like a great idea I will look into!

#19 9 years ago

As a side note I have learned prior to set ing up a pinball machine (even new in box) I take a tap to all of the holes and add some 3 in 1 oil to the bolts being used. Just had too many times taking a game apart or setting up that the threads are nasty and get caught.

#20 9 years ago

Lock cutter!

#21 9 years ago

Personally, I'd tear into it with a Dremel cutting wheel on the bottom.

#22 9 years ago

Knock out the piece of wood on the back of the backbox neck.

Cut bolt with bolt cutters.

Repair torn out t-nut with epoxy.

Lightly lube new threads.

Replace wood you knocked out with new.

#23 9 years ago

thanks everyone for the tips. Im gonna try the bolt cutters and see how it goes. if that doesnt work well I may go the slow route of a hacksaw.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stuck-head-bolt-onto-t-nut-help-getting-off and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.