(Topic ID: 236163)

Stuck flippers due to magnetism - ANY solutions ??

By Pinball-Dreams

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by KenLayton
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Good morning,

as the title says....in the past years we still didn't find ANY solution of the problem of stuck flippers due to magnetism. These new spare parts really drive me crazy - utter shit. Seems to be a matter of pure luck if you receive coil stops and plungers which work fine or not. We even replace the whole assembly - nothing changes. Should we really try out hundreds of plungers/coil stop combinations till we find some that work over a larger period of time ?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated

Many greetz

Henrik

#2 5 years ago

Uupps...Sorry forgot to mention that I am talking of the Bally solid state generation

#3 5 years ago

I have never had flipper plungers magnetize.
    Or at least not to the extent of it being noticable.
    Coil sleeves, playfield bushings worn coil stops and mushroomed plungers I have had
    Replacing them is part of mechanical maintenance. No moving parts last forever.

#4 5 years ago

Morning again...let me explain: we're into pinball business and restore machines since 13 years. So...we make around 10-15 Bally solid states every year. Especially in the past 3-4 years spare parts became worser and worser. Of course we renew EVERYTHING and even if we change the entire assmebly chance of plungers and coil stops magentizing within 30 games is around 50%...a apin in the ass...we tend to use old wearing parts if they are still okay rather than installing the new stuff...

#5 5 years ago

I have had luck cutting a strip of copper about about 5cm long and strap it over coil stop. Picture the ohm symbol over the coil stop.
    Thickness of about 1mm.
    No glue no tape just trapped in by coil.

Give that a try.

#6 5 years ago

Residual magnetism can be left on parts from the machining process. Always smart to demagnatize before installing into the game as the coil will strengthen the the residual magnetized parts in the coil field. Sounds like what you are experiencing. Buy a demagnetizer!

#7 5 years ago

I use a tape recorder tape head de-magnetizer on the plungers and the coil stops. If there is still a problem, then I cut a small circle of self-stick mylar (just like the mylar which protects playfields) and stick it to the end of the plunger. This creates a barrier to the magnetism so the plunger can't stick to the stop. The mylar lasts a very long time. I have done this for 30 years without problems. This is very common on Bally linear flipper assemblies.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stuck-flippers-due-to-magnetism-any-solutions-?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.