Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190214_205333 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

My new-to-me Eight Ball Deluxe has a problem I'm trying to sort out.

The left flipper button controls two flippers. When pressing that button, the upper flipper stays in the extended position. As soon as I apply a slight push to the flipper itself, it springs back to its resting position. If I just tap the button very slightly the flipper doesn't stick, but any normal use of the button will cause the sticking.

Is it OK to spray some PB Blaster lubricant into the shaft where the shaft goes into the coil (assuming that's the real problem), or is that a no-no?

I did swap one of the other flippers into its position and the same thing happens.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
    #2 5 years ago

Please no cleaning products . It is a mechanical issue . You either have a worn coil stop or a broken coil sleeve or your flipper coil plunger has some burring on the tip . Get a flipper rebuild kit Amd callnit a day . If you want to clean it just pull it a part and wipe as much of with a paper towel and get as much of the grim off as possible until the rebuild kit arrives .

#3 5 years ago

In order to figure out the answer please let us know if the flipper is staying up due to a mechanical issue or is the coil energized. Do you feel and magnetic resistance when you push it back down.

If it’s a mechanical issue check the return spring tension coil sleeves, alignment ..is anything loose? You should never need to spray anything on the mechanical parts to make them operate properly.

Dave

#4 5 years ago

Do NOT spray any flammable materials around a coil! Sounds like you need to rebuild the flipper. The spring could be warn out that pulls it back. The coil sleeve could be dirty. The shaft that is magnitized could be rusted and creating friction. A picture of the flipper coil would be helpful to help explain the root issue.

#5 5 years ago

This is with it stuck in place.

20190214_205333 (resized).jpg20190214_205333 (resized).jpg
    #6 5 years ago

It looks like your EOS is bent and hitting the return spring. Straighten out the switch leaf and try again.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

It looks like your EOS is bent and hitting the return spring. Straighten out the switch leaf and try again.

Good eye Bill. My eyes went right past looking at the EOS contacts. I think you are right one with that.

Dave

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

That looks to be the case, but it's just an illusion from the camera angle. There's no contact.

I did swap one of the springs from another flipper and it seems a bit better at retracting the flipper. Still happens but not as much.

#9 5 years ago

I sometimes find loosening the 4 screws that hold the coil to the bracket, straightening everything up and re-tightening will sometimes help similar issues I've had with flippers.

#10 5 years ago

Is it OK to spray some PB Blaster lubricant into the shaft where the shaft goes into the coil (assuming that's the real problem), or is that a no-no?

Only if you want to start a fire.

#11 5 years ago

no no

#12 5 years ago

Like the other guys said - take it apart, put some alcohol on a q-tip and clean out the inside of the coil and coil sleeve, wipe down the plunger, check for a burr on the end of the plunger and the coil stop and file them off. Then order a flipper rebuild kit and a rubber ring kit. Clean that flipper off really good before you replace the rubber, it looks like it's been around the block a few times.

#13 5 years ago

It appears possible that a set screw is impacting the end of stroke switch with return of the flipper mechanism by the spring, which could have bent that tab on the end of stroke switch and caused issues with the return spring.

#14 5 years ago

The coil stop might be getting magnetised causing the plunger to stay in. Swap it with one from another flipper mech for test.

BTW the nyliner has been installed backwards at the end bracket.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stuck-flipper-1?hl=calipindave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.