Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MrBally
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CAA352E4-C86B-4C8E-9666-53CAE038B7E2 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

These screws are stuck like Chuck. No nuts on the back- the bracket is threaded .

Tried needle nose vice grips. They just slip off the rounded head. Tried some WD to penetrate.

Before I cut off the heads and drill out the screws, any ideas?

CAA352E4-C86B-4C8E-9666-53CAE038B7E2 (resized).jpegCAA352E4-C86B-4C8E-9666-53CAE038B7E2 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

Heat it up with a torch

#3 2 years ago

Could also try heating them with a soldering iron

#4 2 years ago

Heat the bracket, not the screw... need to make the hole bigger, not the screw itself.

Can also dremel a full notch into the head, and try a big common screwdriver with vicegrips on the handle and a bunch of downward pressure while turning.

#5 2 years ago

Tried heating it with my soldering iron. Could try again with the large tip.

If that doesn’t work, I guess I’ll make a large slot with the Dremel.

#6 2 years ago

Did you try a battery impact screw driver?

#7 2 years ago

Don’t have one. I bet HF does…

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

These screws are stuck like Chuck. No nuts on the back- the bracket is threaded .
    Tried needle nose vice grips. They just slip off the rounded head. Tried some WD to penetrate.
    Before I cut off the heads and drill out the screws, any ideas?[quoted image]

I have put vise grips on the threaded side of screws and broke them loose. That usually works. On the threaded side you want to tighten the screw so it goes the right direction on the other side. Once loose they usually come right out.

#9 2 years ago

Easy/quick way is to use a dremel tool with a cutting blade. Put a straight deep slot into the head and you can turn out with large flat head screw driver. Works nearly every time for me.

#10 2 years ago

Check to make sure there are no nuts on the back side of these screws. Some games have longer screws and nuts on the other side to prevent the screws from loosening. You will see this on WPC flipper bushings and have also seen it on Williams early SS flipper solenoid brackets too.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinengineer77:

Check to make sure there are no nuts on the back side of these screws. Some games have longer screws and nuts on the other side to prevent the screws from loosening. You will see this on WPC flipper bushings and have also seen it on Williams early SS flipper solenoid brackets too.

His first sentence said “no nuts on back”.

#12 2 years ago

I see the heads have not stripped yet. Use the proper size phillips screwdriver and turn until your face turns blue. Thats pretty thin metal and your human strength should overcome the tiny bit of force the threads are having o the screw.

Or the screw will break.

Or the head will strip.

#13 2 years ago

Cutting a better slot didn't work, nor did heating up the bracket with a solder iron.

Ended up cutting off the screw heads. That let me remove the coil stop, which left enough of the screw exposed so I could back it out with a pliers.

What should have been a 15 minute coil replacement ends up taking forever and I have to go buy new screws. But on the bright side, I have a shiny new pair of vice grip needle nose pliers from HF and I didn't have to remove and re-assemble the whole flipper assembly just because of two stuck screws.

Thanks for playing "15 Minute Projects That Take Hours". Tune in next time, when our PinRepairHobbiest says, "Damn! That whole thing just broke right off!"

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Cutting a better slot didn't work, nor did heating up the bracket with a solder iron.
    Ended up cutting off the screw heads. That let me remove the coil stop, which left enough of the screw exposed so I could back it out with a pliers.
    What should have been a 15 minute coil replacement ends up taking forever and I have to go buy new screws. But on the bright side, I have a shiny new pair of vice grip needle nose pliers from HF and I didn't have to remove and re-assemble the whole flipper assembly just because of two stuck screws.
    Thanks for playing "15 Minute Projects That Take Hours". Tune in next time, when our PinRepairHobbiest says, "Damn! That whole thing just broke right off!"

I've had coil stops welded on the coil bracket. Consider yourself lucky

This wouldn't be pinball if you didn't have to go through this every one in a while.

#15 2 years ago

If the screw cannot be removed because it is rusted in place or the head breaks off, you can try an ease out kit to removed them.
    This is not an easy process...
    See attached.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-Hanson-10-Piece-Spiral-Screw-Extractor-and-Drill-Bit-Combo-Pack/1003018224

#16 2 years ago

Wasn’t rusted at all! Maybe cold welded?

#17 2 years ago

Bottom line is you did whatever it took to get the job done. End of story. Worst case scenario next time is you do the exact same thing but no time waisted having to ask. Another skill under the belt.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Wasn’t rusted at all! Maybe cold welded?

Sometimes, if the screw is turned too tight, the metal on the threads can be slightly deformed and cause it to get stuck in place.
    Perhaps that is what happened.

#19 2 years ago

No need to buy any screws. Bally coin doors of that era have several extras as it's over-engineered, especially for home use. If any are too short, swap with a coil retaining bracket or coil stop on a occasional use assembly such as a kickout hole etc.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stuck-coil-bracket-screws and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.