New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 257204)

Stuck bowls

By Alan_L

11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by mooch
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tenor.gif
    f0b.gif
    1CDBAF39-F4C3-4E0E-8245-2895B182F7A4 (resized).jpeg
    20191209_154015 (resized).jpg

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 months ago

I have these two bowls that are stuck together.

I have tried pouring boiling water over them and leaving them in the freezer for a couple of days, they won't budge. Any ideas?

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Alan

20191209_154015 (resized).jpg
    #2 11 months ago

Try dunking the outer one in hot or boiling water while the inner one is full of an icy/water and salt mixture and let them sit there for a few minutes. Should help break the bond between them.

#3 11 months ago

WD40?

#4 11 months ago

Penetrating oil.

#5 11 months ago
    Quoted from tjw998:

Try dunking the outer one in hot or boiling water while the inner one is full of an icy/water and salt mixture and let them sit there for a few minutes. Should help break the bond between them.

This. Thermal expansion (along with contraction in this case) is your friend to break the seal.

Penetrating oil would likely work too, but I personally wouldn't want the stuff anywhere near a food surface.

#6 11 months ago

I was 100% sure you made a typo and spelled "stuck balls" wrong in the title and well here I am and I sure was wrong!

#7 11 months ago

Set them in boiling water and then put dry ice in the top bowl?

#8 11 months ago

Just keep flushing up to 10 or 15 times, so I’ve heard.....Ohhhh, that kind of bowl! Yes hot water should work.

7 months later
    #9 4 months ago

Did you ever separate these two bowls?

#10 4 months ago

Eat an excessive amount of sour kraut.

#12 4 months ago
    Quoted from wlf_:

I was 100% sure you made a typo and spelled "stuck balls" wrong in the title and well here I am and I sure was wrong!

I read bowels. It must be Friday....

#13 4 months ago
    Quoted from tjw998:

Did you ever separate these two bowls?

Thanks for the follow up, but, no, I didn't get the stinkin' things apart. I tried everyone's advise, and they're still stuck. I'm going to try the boiling water/ice & salt method again. I'll let you know.

#15 4 months ago

To loosen the bowls, place the bottom one in hot water and fill the top one with ice. The bowls will loosen and you will be able to easily unstick them. If that doesn’t work, apply a bit of oil to the inner rim of the bottom cooking bowl. The oil will help you slide the two cooking bowls apart. Steps.
    How to Unstick Two Cooking Bowls: 6 Steps - wikiHow
    www.wikihow.com/Unstick-Two-Cooking-Bowls

#16 4 months ago

OK, I just sat the bottom bowl in boiling water on the stove with the top bowl full of ice for five minutes. I even used Kosher salt in the ice though I'm not from that side of the street. Tried to pull them apart, bupkes! Going to try the penetrating oil next.

#17 4 months ago

You and a friend could each hold the rim of a bowl and pull in opposite directions like a stuck bowl tug of war.

#18 4 months ago

Try freezing for a couple hours, then place bottom bowl on a burner set to something safe for the finish. I bet that will do the trick.

#19 4 months ago

Tried using olive oil between the bowls, even used Extra Virgin, no luck. My wife and I tried pulling them apart, boy, she's strong! Bowls are now in the freezer. Stay tuned.

#20 4 months ago
    Quoted from Alan_L:

even used Extra Virgin

That makes it tighter. Ba dum tss...

#21 4 months ago

Since they don't appear to be glass, if they were mine, I would be taking pliers with a sponge or cloth and grabbing the top one and then hitting the lower one on the edge with a hammer striking a block of wood downwards on the edge of the lower one.

#22 4 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

That makes it tighter. Ba dum tss..

Hahahaha!!!! The Quote of the Month!

#23 4 months ago

I think the trick is gonna be heating up that little bit of air between the 2 bowls. I'd expect them to pop apart once the air expands a bit.

#24 4 months ago

Looks pretty good as-is. Just pretend it's one bowl.

#25 4 months ago

Try using a air compressor with a blower attachment.

#26 4 months ago

Market it as a mod for Williams diner and charge $300

#27 4 months ago

Astroglide

#29 4 months ago

Steam roller

#30 4 months ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Or sell it as a topper and charge $600

#31 3 months ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Quoted from PappaDubz:

Or sell it as a topper and charge $600

Then list the pin on eBay for $4995.00

#32 3 months ago

I didn't see "Maryland Man Dies in Freak Accident Trying to Separate Stuck Bowls" in the headlines this week, so were you successful?

#33 3 months ago

Put it in your game room and fill it with snacks. The famous "Pinside Stuck Bowls". A great conversation piece.

#34 3 months ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Put it in your game room and fill it with snacks. The famous "Pinside Stuck Bowls". A great conversation piece.

Is this a marketing ploy you're starting?

I'm keeping an eye out for pinside sale ads for the famous pinside bowls next.

#35 3 months ago

T-shirts will be next!

Heck, if tote bags with an image of a tote bag were hot items, this would be red hot

#36 3 months ago

If be smashing the shit out of those bowls until they were separated just so they don’t win and taunt me.

#37 3 months ago

Current best thread on pinside.

Update?!

#38 3 months ago

Tote them to every pinball/arcade show as the bowls of destiny.

#39 3 months ago

Jesus! Thanks for reminding me. I left them in the freezer. When I finish yard saleing this morning, I'm going to boil some water and give it another try.

#40 3 months ago

Try tapping with a rubber mallet on the lip of either bowl. I think tapping the lip of the bottom bowl very carefully will do the trick.

#41 3 months ago

Excalibowls (tm)

#42 3 months ago

By any chance does your wife own a bottle of superglue and enjoy a good practical joke?

Though since that top bowl has such a large lip on it, I would think prying it would pay off (ie: stick a block of wood between them and turn it.)

#43 3 months ago

Hmmm, I wonder if you can ice jack it. If you can get water between the bowls, then freeze, the water will expand and potentially force them apart.

#44 3 months ago

Tried the hot/cold trick again this morning, no luck. Tried whapping and tapping with rubber mallet, hammer, etc. without success I poured a lot of penetrating oil between them and I'm going to let that sit for a while. Then I'll try the wood stick and ice jacking approaches. And, no, my wife likes a good joke, but she's not that cruel.

#45 3 months ago

Buy a couple of small pieces of ready rod and a coupler. Cut the ready rod pieces to fit between the lips of the bowl with the coupler installed fully. Have someone hold the upper and lower pieces of ready rod with some pliers and start to turn the coupler to lengthen . It should dislodge your bowls. You might want to install one 180 degrees from each other. Give it a try.

1CDBAF39-F4C3-4E0E-8245-2895B182F7A4 (resized).jpeg
    #46 3 months ago

Drive over them a couple times with a truck and make plates instead.

#47 3 months ago
    Quoted from generalgman:

Buy a couple of small pieces of ready rod and a coupler

There's only a half inch between the bowls' lips so I really don't have room. But thanks.

#48 3 months ago

It's meant to be.

#49 3 months ago

Pinside "Stuck Bowls"... Send them to every pinball show and tournament around the world. People will be taking pictures with them.

#50 3 months ago
    Quoted from Alan_L:

There's only a half inch between the bowls' lips so I really don't have room. But thanks.

Question I have is...how on earth did these bowls become son incredibly stuck???

Enquiring minds!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 195.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    WOZ - OZ lanes Out of stock
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 85.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside