(Topic ID: 130073)

Stuck ball on White Water, above VUK. Common?

By Aurich

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ChrisHibler
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
FullSizeRender 3.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Just picked up a White Water. Needs a little tuning. The VUK was failing a lot. Coil and sleeve are fine, but the wireform seemed a little off center. I repositioned it slightly and I think it's okay now.

But now I've discovered a new problem. The ball will eject from the VUK, then roll back up behind it, and sometime slow and get stuck on the transition from the metal to the plastic ramp there. Game is level and pitched at 6.7° so that doesn't seem normal.

Just curious if this is a common problem with a known fix before I start fiddling with it too much.

#2 6 years ago

Here's a photo of it. If you look carefully you can see the ball stuck on the ramp behind the VUK wireform.FullSizeRender 3.jpg

#3 6 years ago

Hi Aurich,

I am not sure if this is the same issue or not, but Chris Hibler came up with a fix for this some time back. See the thread URL below and the URL for the CH fix.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wh2o-lockup-popper-getting-stuck#post-1060390
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/Images/WH2OBackSpinFix.jpg

Gord

#4 6 years ago

It is quite common. There are two possible ball traps in that area: The gap between ramp and playfield, and in a divot caused by the ball dropping from the VUK. Cliffy protector and then some shims under the ramp to adjust the height is the best bet.

#5 6 years ago

Totally common. Easiest cheapest fix: take one of the super small rubber rings (the nub type, that slip on the pointed metal posts). Cut into it, and slip over the metal loop on the right side. Problem solved.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Totally common. Easiest cheapest fix: take one of the super small rubber rings (the nub type, that slip on the pointed metal posts). Cut into it, and slip over the metal loop on the right side. Problem solved.

can you post a pic?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

can you post a pic?

I can, but the link that Gordonbowar provided shows the same thing. Only difference is I had to put the rubber on the opposite side. It is the 2nd link.

#8 6 years ago

Thanks for the assists everyone, sounds like it's just a design flaw.

#9 6 years ago

Ah, I hadn't realized the metal under the VUK was a Cliffy, this thread was helpful too:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wh2o-cliffy-vuk-protector-issue

I'll work on shimming the plastic ramp slightly and see if the Cliffy can slide to meet it better.

#10 6 years ago

So, I'm having the same problem on my WW.

I just learned that the spine chiller ramp isn't supposed to have a flap on the mini playfield end! Somebody must've added one to mine!

So, it looks like I have to remove the spine chiller to drill the rivets out now

#11 6 years ago

So here's what I've done so far. I took the ramps apart enough to get in there and work. I put a couple washers under the plastic ramp where it meets the cliffy, and loosened the cliffy so I could shift it closer to the plastic. Then I put a piece of foil tape over the transition and smoothed it down super flat to help with the transition.

I seem to have fixed it, in gameplay and testing I couldn't get a ball stuck again. The backspin still suck though, slows the game down and isn't great for multiball, so I'm going to mess with the rubber ring trick on the VUK exist.

#12 6 years ago

I just added a rubber ring as described to the uphill side on ours and it instantly solved the backspin problem.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So here's what I've done so far. I took the ramps apart enough to get in there and work. I put a couple washers under the plastic ramp where it meets the cliffy, and loosened the cliffy so I could shift it closer to the plastic. Then I put a piece of foil tape over the transition and smoothed it down super flat to help with the transition.
I seem to have fixed it, in gameplay and testing I couldn't get a ball stuck again. The backspin still suck though, slows the game down and isn't great for multiball, so I'm going to mess with the rubber ring trick on the VUK exist.

This is a very tricky area. I've found that adjustments to the alignment of the VUK wireform can affect the spin. Make sure you keep the pin on the bottom of the wireform inserted into the hole at the bottom. Also, you can adjust the left/right tilt of the VUK by making adjustments to the 2 spots where the VUK wireform screws into the top playfield. Mine is set up so no need for the rubber. The rubber does work though.

As for the cliffy, I've never been able to get it 100% sorted. I might get a hang-up 2 or 3% of the time. The foil tape is a good idea. I thought about using mylar but when you go to disassemble for cleaning that's kind of annoying. I've found that the SIDES of the ramp can be as much of a hanging point as the floor. Getting rid of the backspin from the VUK will stop most hangups though. When I set mine up I try to get it so that even if I place the ball in the hang-up spot it won't stay there. Like I said though, I've never been able to get it perfect.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

So, I'm having the same problem on my WW.
I just learned that the spine chiller ramp isn't supposed to have a flap on the mini playfield end! Somebody must've added one to mine!
So, it looks like I have to remove the spine chiller to drill the rivets out now

mine came stock with that flap. I thought it was missing on the repro set when I got it and was told that earlier examples came with the flap.

#15 6 years ago

Here is how I have the VUK rubbers right now:

image.jpg

I get backspin maybe once every 7-10 tries. Much improved. I think I'll leave it all alone for now. Rare spin, and when it does it doesn't get stuck. I can live with that.

#16 6 years ago

The one that I owned had a divot and when I put down the cliffy the backspin drove me crazy. I was about to disassemble and take it off when I sold it. I tried the rubbers and washers, etc. Pretty frustrating issue due to the ball flow in multiball.

#17 6 years ago

I think that will do it Aurich, and thanks to Gordon for dredging up my old pic.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside