Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3313_zpsb3ce23ad.jpg
IMG_3315_zps910477df.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I think this third wire is not in the right place.Can you someone tell me where must be solder
It's now solder on the single drop target coil
IMG_3315_zps910477df.jpgIMG_3315_zps910477df.jpg
IMG_3313_zpsb3ce23ad.jpgIMG_3313_zpsb3ce23ad.jpg

#2 10 years ago

This wire is the tieback wire to the small auxiliary
driver board, mounted above and to the right of the main driver board in the backbox.

This small auxiliary driver board holds more TIP102 driver
transistors for the additional coils needed in STNG. This board needs +50 volts for a “tieback diode” voltage for the circuit. The power is connected by a
thin violet/yellow wire which connects to the playfield’s single drop target coil (at the back of the playfield). If this wire breaks, or if some other power
wire in this coil power daisy chain breaks, it can cause the two diverter coils to lock on (after they are first activated in game play!)

(taken from a great repair-source )

#3 10 years ago

And since it can cause problems I always solder 4 diodes directly on the coil.
See http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-transistor-upgrade#post-1033992

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

I think this third wire is not in the right place.Can you someone tell me where must be solder
It's now solder on the single drop target coil

Remove those three wires and solder them together onto one jumper wire, shrink tube the splice and them solder the single wire to the coil lug.

#5 10 years ago

Is it normal drop target to go down automatically when I power on the machine?I think it must go in up position.I disconnect the switch cables,but no change.

And is it normal when I press the right button to shoot the ball from out hole when choose what to do when you begin to play every ball?I think the action with the right button must be the same with the left-to go through the options

#6 10 years ago

After read some info for the drop target problem,I installed diodes on the the coils SM1-26-600 and 26-1200,but with no effect.I think coil 26-600 is locked somehow.I can see every time when the target must go up,immediately goes down.It's not hot and it's 4.7Omh.Can it be the 8-driver board or transistor on the Power board.
If I'm right the transistors are Q13 and Q14.One of them is with big heatsink,is that right?This with the heatsink is very very hot comparison with the other transistors.

#7 10 years ago

Any help?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

And is it normal when I press the right button to shoot the ball from out hole when choose what to do when you begin to play every ball?I think the action with the right button must be the same with the left-to go through the options

No, only the left button should advance through the options. There is a menu option to control whether the right button launches the ball.

#9 10 years ago

Somehow now the two buttons works with same function-go through the option menu what to do with the ball.But the problem with the drop target still exist

#10 10 years ago

Sounds like you popped the transistors on the your aux driver board... Not uncommon on that game...

From a prior thread...

Jaz

As usual, Lloyd is most likely correct here. There is a smaller guage purple wire with a green stripe that goes from the aux driver board in the head all the way down to the 4 coils that are controlled. This wire is critical to protecting those drive transistors from getting fried by the coil flyback. That wire easily breaks. Once it does, any of the 4 coils on that side of the driver board (if memory serves it's both subway diverters and the up/down of the drop target), once fired, can blow or weaken the 4 drive transistors. My money says that both diverter coils are locked on and only one has completely melted down so far. And yes, this happened to me.

First thing, find that wire... it goes to the 4 diodes on the aux driver board. It's a horrible design choice they made to wire it all the way down to the playfield when the clamp voltage is already available in the head. Find it and make sure it's still connected to the coil down below. My bet is that it isn't. If it's broke, there might only be 2 transistors fried, but all 4 are weakened. I replaced all 4 just because I didn't want to have to fix it again later. Then replace the coils that are damaged. For sure one subway diverted, probably the other as well. The drop target coil is probably ok.

#11 10 years ago

Post a pic of your aux driver board. I want to see this larger heat sink.

The purple/green wires are all in the right place. No worries there.

--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 85.00
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 64.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-wrong-wire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.