• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey guys,

Ever since I've had my STTNG I've had opportunities with it. Here is my list:

-flashers do not work. I replaced br4 and c11 tonight and it did not help. One leg of the br4 pad came off when I was desoldering the old one. I still made a clean solder joint on the back side of the board when installing the new one. Would any of this matter? I bet I should've scraped off the green to expose the copper trace and soldered that to the leg, huh? Just thinking of that now.
-sometimes never locks a ball, sometimes locks a ball all the time constantly going into Borg multiball. I assume this has something to do with optos somewhere?
-no matter what hole the ball goes into in the back, it seems to register different things. Sometimes I advance in rank when the ball doesn't hit that hole but the one next to it where the ferengi and cardassians are.
-game went haywire tonight. Was constantly going into Borg multiball, losing balls and had to keep trying to find them, inconsistently loading balls into the cannons and asking to launch a probe even though I wasn't at the point where I could even select to launch a probe.

No battery acid damage anywhere, burnt connectors, etc that I can see. What is up here?

#2 10 years ago

Sttng can be a tricky game....

I believe the issue with the ball lock might be a micro switch on the drop target. The switch tells the game if the target is up or down. I had the same issue with my game.

#3 10 years ago

1) Yes, you need to expose the copper under the screening and solder it to the trace. Use a continuity test to make sure the component reaches the solder pad where that trace leads to.
2) Perhaps, or maybe just some minor adjustment/cleaning is needed.
3) Sounds like switch matrix issues. Go through the switch tests in the diagnostics, see which switches activate other things/more than 1 thing, write it down. Then go through the schematic, trace the faulty switches back within the switch matrix to that wire/pin. Check the voltage on the collector of the pre-driver that is directly connected to that wire/pin (far right pin of a 2n3906 when the flat side is facing you, could be different with another type of transistor) with the machine on. 0v = shorted and needs to be replaced. You can confirm suspicions by measuring the collector on ajacent pre-driver transistors. They should all have a small voltage on the collector pin.
4) This is probably related to the switch matrix issues you're experiencing. All kinds of crazy stuff can happen when a pre-driver in a switch matrix shorts. Game resets, random activation of random switches, etc.

#4 10 years ago

Regarding your flasher issues, check this out. I had the exact same issue sounds like.. I was able to resolve mine. All info in this link:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-my-sttng-have-a-bad-transformer#post-1083758

#2 - Does your diverter in the backboard work properly and only allow balls into the borg ship when lock is lit?

#3 and #4 sound like opto issues to me. You need to go and test every opto in the test manually and make sure they're CLOSED when not blocked and OPEN when they are blocked. Also, make sure that your diverters on the subway are moving freely and not gunked up. All three of them (2 subway and 1 backboard/ramp) I've had to de-gunk on both STTNGs I've owned...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 63.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 15.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-woes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.