• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2011-09-27_11.07.54.jpg
#1 12 years ago

I apologize if this is a repeat topic.

I finally have the go ahead nod from my wife to pick up a second pin. I have wanted a STTNG for a long time, so I am starting the long, drawn out search for one. What I would like to know is where the typical problem spots are and what areas I should pay attention to when I find one to look at.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

#2 12 years ago

Alot of problems with optic sensors if anything does not work properly I would get a great lakes board with led readouts to make TS easier. Three large inserts above modes commonly gets wear.
Neutral zone hole usually shows alot of wear as well. Check that both cannons are enabled and test them.

Hope some of this helps I have owned my for 2 years +
Fully working when I got it but took a couple months off and on to get it working perfect

#3 12 years ago

opto errors are super common i.e. does the game load two balls and have a multiball when it's not suposed to? Also check to see if you can hit the delta ramp and make it up to the borg ship. My game seems to have difficulty with that shot (it's steep) even after I rebuilt the flippers. Neutral zone hole takes a beating as well. All problems are fixable it's a great game. Also check for cracked ramps, replacements are available ($300 bucks for a set)

engage.

#4 12 years ago

I think the only reason this game is under 3k is because it's got a lot going on and not easy to work on. Mine is finally fully shopped and fully working and gets as much or more play than TZ, AFM, LOTR WH2O and Creech. Such a good game. Parts are readily available. Don't let Neutral Zone wear deter you, the cliffy will probably cover that. Expect to work on your optos and cannons. It will be worth it. If you get it the shaker is a must have mod for this game.

#5 12 years ago

Its a great game but, you can't be squeamish about working on it. Its a very complex game and things do go wrong with it from time to time. If you not afraid or enjoy working on these, this game is the best.

#6 12 years ago

Optos were cheap and easy for me to replace. Its 85% of the time the emmitter not the receiver. Once I did it work great. Back Drop Target Up release spring needed replacing. Messes the game up if that drop target isnt working right. I had no cannon issues.

6 ball multi ball is crazy fun.

Why did I sell mine?

2011-09-27_11.07.54.jpg2011-09-27_11.07.54.jpg

#7 12 years ago

Thanks for the replies, that is the kind of info I was looking for.

Not afraid to tear into it, but I hope I find one that does not need work right away. Just started tear down on my IJ for cleaning/repair and it would be nice to have something to play until I get done.

Thanks again.

#8 12 years ago

oh man.. probably easier to ask what NOT to look for. As others have mentioned, the optos are the biggest problem. Then there are all the ramps, look for chips/missing pieces/cracks (they're expensive to replace). A lot of the chips can be covered with ramp protectors. Look for wear in the neutral zone. Look for a warped Borg ship. Make sure all the ships are there. Make sure the drop target works. Make sure both canons work, and work properly (turns, finds "home", fires balls well, etc). Lift up that PF and check the subways.

And of course, as with all WMS games.. make sure the GI connectors in the head aren't all crispy.

#9 12 years ago

Having just picked one up, I'll list what I had to fix. Most of this is a repeat of what has been said already.

-The stand up target's actuator was broken
-Bad opto receiver for the left popper
-Divots in the ball trough that had to be filed out to keep balls from hanging up
-Left popper wouldn't reliably kick out balls when other balls were locked, needed adjustment
-Balls would get hung up when rolling from the underplayfield ramp into the left gun's popper
-Typical burned GI connectors
-One GI string was flaky, ended up being baked connections on the PDB from heat
-Had to resolder bulb holders on the large PCB for the ship's shield inserts
-Going to rebuild the cannon wiring harnesses as they have been hacked in the past
-Right flipper opto interrupter was wimpy and wouldn't fully block the beam, had to be replaced

If I can think of anything else, I'll add it later.

Edit, just thought of more:
-Cracked subway ramp at the Start Mission hole. I repaired it and ordered the protectors from Mantis Amusements
-Broken Start Mission scoop. Had it welded at a local shop.
-Broken left flipper base plate
-Broken pop bumper rod

#10 12 years ago

Thanks again.

I am hopefully looking at one tonight or tomorrow, so this will all be useful.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from hudson2212:

Thanks again.

I am hopefully looking at one tonight or tomorrow, so this will all be useful.

You should buy it, because then I won't be able to. Denver is a really long drive.

#12 12 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I did pick the one up I looked at. Playfield looked good (little dirty, but not bad) and the cabinet had very little fade (did have lockbar hole, but I will live with that) Not a perfect machine, but definitely playable. Should give me something to play until I get my IJ cleaned and back together, then I will work on this one.

If I get ambitious I may even post pictures.

#13 12 years ago

Congrats, that is a fun pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-what-to-look-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.