#1 11 years ago

I have to choose between these 2 pins. What I like:

Fast play
Challenging
Ramps
Nice Wizard Mode en Video Mode

SHOOT

#2 11 years ago

STTNG has staying power, TOM is fast fun and beautiful, but is lacking in the rules. I would take STTNG any day, I have had both, STTNG is still here 5 years later

#3 11 years ago

I think you are going to find a lot of opinions on these two games. Ultimately you need to decide what you like best and what fits into you idea of a 'fun' game. For me STTNG was a bit of a bore - it left and ToM is still in the game room and gets played alot.

#4 11 years ago

I don't love either. STTNG can be a maintainence nightmare but i'd pick that out of those two.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

I think you are going to find a lot of opinions on these two games. Ultimately you need to decide what you like best and what fits into you idea of a 'fun' game. For me STTNG was a bit of a bore - it left and ToM is still in the game room and gets played alot.

I think STTNG is a bore too. It might help if I was a fan of the series but I would buy ToM over STTNG any day.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

STTNG can be a maintainence nightmare

I agree. When I had mine, something was always breaking, cracking, smoking, or shorting. As soon as I had it running 100%, I dumped it.

#7 11 years ago

Both are outstanding games, so you really can't go wrong, though I'd take STTNG. STTNG has two optional video modes: Shuttle Flight and Poker with Riker. STTNG is more of a maintenance challenge, so if you don't have a lot of experience working on pins, it might plague you with problems. STTNG has three major goals and I usually select which to go for at the beginning of the game, though your skill will determine if you can go for more than one. They are:
- The Final Frontier for completing all the modes
- Warp 9 if you can get the left orbit down pretty good
- Engage the Borg if you can get the right orbit down
TOM is great too and a beautiful game, afterall it's a JPOP, so you wouldn't go wrong with it either.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from taz:

The Final Frontier for playing all the modes

Fixed that for you...

#9 11 years ago

Both are good games. But sttng meets your requirements better. Sttng has a decent wizard mode. Tom has a single ball wizard mode that's a pretty big disappointment. Both have fast play. Tom is pretty easy. Sttng is very challenging. Based on your requirements, I'd go with sttng.

#10 11 years ago

I own both. I'd get rid of ToM before STTNG. But ToM is worth more. STTNG is more challenging and more of a "pinball player's game" whereas ToM is more for guests and people who want to be entertained more than challenged.

#11 11 years ago

I'm really not all that technical. Is it diffiult to learn to work on pins? I really wanna go for the STTNG since I want a challenging pin...

#12 11 years ago

To be honest, both can be problematic. The trunk and subways on tom are often not working very well. Sttng can be finicky for sure but don't think to get Tom to avoid sttng issues.

#13 11 years ago

Yeah I heard that. Well that leaves my still standing question: Is it possible fo me to learn how to do my own repair?

#14 11 years ago

No it's impossible to learn haha...of course it's possible...everyone has to start at zero...you aren't born knowing what a transistor is or how to rebuild a flipper...

If you own pins, you are going to have to fix them...even new ones...just like a car...

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Fulkano:

Fast playChallengingRampsNice Wizard Mode en Video Mode
SHOOT

Fast Play:
STTNG - Somewhat
TOM - Somewhat

Challenging:
STTNG - Hell Yes
TOM - Not so much

Ramps:
STTNG - Yes
TOM - Yes

Nice Wizard Mode:
STTNG - Yes
TOM - Big No

Video Mode
STTNG - Yes, multiple
TOM - Yes

STTNG is a better game IMHO. TOM is fun to play on route, but is a little too easy with a poor wizard mode to be a keeper for me.

#16 11 years ago

STTNG without a doubt. If your looking for a pretty game, go with TOM. If your looking for a challenging player with tons to do, STTNG is your choice. I've have mine for 2 years and its not going anywhere anytime soon.

LesManley's breakdown is pretty much right on the mark.

#17 11 years ago

I have both and will likely keep both... For fast play and ramps, ToM all the way. ToM isn't deep or difficult but continues to be enjoyable regardless. I play STTNG way less frequently. Do you like CV or TOTAN? They play a lot like ToM.

#18 11 years ago

I have both as well. And most of what everyone has said is spot on. But I am going to have to get rid of one at some point to make room...
So MY criteria is this ( I like both very much)...I have made my ToM into a very good looking pin...and for that one reason I am going to keep ToM. The other pins i own..give me a good balance so...to me, it comes down to the condition of the pin.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Bigdaddy1000:

I have both and will likely keep both... For fast play and ramps, ToM all the way. ToM isn't deep or difficult but continues to be enjoyable regardless. I play STTNG way less frequently. Do you like CV or TOTAN? They play a lot like ToM.

That is because I beleive they were all designed by the same team.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

If your looking for a pretty game, go with TOM.

STTNG actually is a nice looking game too. The sideart, playfield art, the whole space theme....its almost as good

#21 11 years ago

I like both of these games but there very different. STTNG is more stop and go and TOM is just a fast paced good fun game. Both games are have great game design. Since you already have a wide body maybe the decision is a little easier. Or sell JD and buy both of these titles for a little more.

#22 11 years ago

If I had to pick one, STTNG.

If I had to pick one knowing that JD was already in my lineup, TOM. JD and STTNG both have multiple flippers/are widebodies, so TOM will feel more unique than STTNG will in your lineup.

That being said, I have owned JD and STTNG. STTNG is still here and JD is not.

#23 11 years ago

TOM has a hell of a better translite than STTNG!

I could look at her all day.

#24 11 years ago

STTNG any day of the week and twice on sunday

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Fulkano:

Fast play
Challenging
Ramps
Nice Wizard Mode en Video Mode
SHOOT

STTNG wins in all of those categories and more. No comparison between these two games.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

STTNG wins in all of those categories and more. No comparison between these two games.

LOL yep, STTNG hands down. Theatre is a GREAT game and it would fit in nicely in my collection but for me as well NO COMPARISON STTNG is a FAR deeper and a definite keeper for me. But I will say that I love Star Trek the Next Generation TV show and that helps but the game speaks for itself also.

#27 11 years ago

TOM any day, but it depends on the condition of each.

#28 11 years ago

I hate the slingshots on STTNG, they ruin the game for me. I would go with TOM for that reason alone.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

STTNG has staying power, TOM is fast fun and beautiful, but is lacking in the rules. I would take STTNG any day, I have had both, STTNG is still here 5 years later

I'm hoping someone will give the TOM rules some attention ala the CC work that is underway.

#30 11 years ago

TOM is lacking in rules??? HOW???

8 modes, all diverse, many other things to do such as tiger MB, regular MBs with a 5 second 100M shot, basement shots and mini games and awards, spirit ring magnet shots, combo shots which can get you crap loads of points, have to spell theatre, advance the clock to 12, and after completely modes, 12pm, theatre and main MB, then you can advance to wizard. It is wickedly smooth and fast, maybe the best flow machine out there, WITH good depth.

Not to mention hokus pokus, which is a great and unique ball magna save that is so pivotal in keeping lit all the time, as it only lasts about 7-8 seconds. Skill shot choice is a great idea.

I have never understood how TOM gets no love from some.

As for STTNG, it’s Nerd Trek and therefore it loses this vs by a technicality.

#31 11 years ago

STTNG has one of the longest shots in pinball...and that's about it IMHO. The theme kills it for me and the looks between the two is night and day. TOM is a far better looking machine. TOM is a flow machine and has some great loops / speed. It comes down to what YOU really like the best but I would guess TOM is a more popular game for a reason.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

That is because I beleive they were all designed by the same team.

Yep - just trying to provide a reference point.

#33 11 years ago

Both are great games but hands down it's TOM. Best flowing game ever! Chicks love it! Looks great, plays great. Rules are a tad simple compared to today's games but I think the rules are great.

Although the wizard mode is lacking I think it's a real challenge to get to, especially on a super fast and bouncy Playfield. You need to start all 8 magic tricks just to light 1 of the 4 main objectives. I've only got to the wizard mode a few times and only beat it twice.

The magic cube is one of the greatest toys ever made. I know a lot of people think it gets repetitive but to me getting the ball in the hole feels very satisfying.

I remember when this game first came out at my local bowling alley it was always getting a ton of play and spent a lot of money getting my ass kicked by it over and over again.

Star Trek is also great and u can never go wrong with a Steve Richie pin.

I think the only logical thing to do is buy both

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 63.95
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-vs-theatre-of-magic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.