New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 102162)

STTNG vs. LOTR vs. TRON

By kklank

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by J_Striker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Which one is better and why?
I know LOTR is much newer but STtNG looks like a blast as well. Are they both just as deep for ruleset? And I dont much about TRON.
I have a GNR, FT, IJ(hopefully very soon) and a JM currently. Want to know what would be best to add the small collection. May get rid of FT soon. Game is such a ballbuster. Hard to sell one with no fade.
Your opinions would be appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

All great games, LotR is the easiest of the three but also the deepest. STTNG is fantastic and can be pretty hard if set up accordingly. Great theme integration, sound and layout. Tron is just fast and cool. Can be brutal if setup that way, not very deep.

Any of those three is a good choice IMO.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

All great games, LotR is the easiest of the three but also the deepest. STTNG is fantastic and can be pretty hard if set up accordingly. Great theme integration, sound and layout. Tron is just fast and cool. Can be brutal if setup that way, not very deep.

If you had to pick one to keep in your lineup and the others had to go. Which one would u pick?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

LOL...LOTR is far and away the hardest of the 3!! How many times have you hit Valinor? Portal and Final Frontier are MUCH easier to reach. LOTR has the longest ball times, but it's easily the toughest. Depends on the definition I guess.

LOTR>>STTNG>Tron

#5 6 years ago

Tough choice. Probably LotR (which I own) over STTNG (Which my father owns) for no other reason than STTNG's are easy to come by and generally cheaper if you wanted to pick one up down the road. LotR doesn't come up for sale as often.

Really with those three, pick the theme you like the best

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Depends on the definition I guess.

Exactly, I don't have any realistic chance of getting to Valinor so that doesn't even come into the equation. I can however play over half an hour on LotR with regularity. I have had long games on STTNG but never longer than 15 minutes. Tron is like a 5 minute game for me Difficulty is relative to what your goals are. Everybody is different.

#7 6 years ago

Oh man. All three games are great. For me though it would have to be LOTR, epic.

#8 6 years ago

All great, but LOTR is tops.

#9 6 years ago

Some powerhouse picks here. I don't have enough time on STTNG. That said, I'd go with LoTR if you're looking for a long term deeper style pin. TRON if you want simple and fast.

#11 6 years ago

i'd go LOTR in a second. STTNG has always seemed clunky to me, though widebodies tend to need to be really tuned in, especially on leveling. can't speak on TRON as i've only played it a couple times sporadically.

#12 6 years ago

three awesome games i'd be proud to own.

LOTR: very deep and cool ruleset, but very long games. packed playfield, too. tons to do.

TRON: shallow gameplay, but gorgeous playfield and fun mechanics.

STTNG: who am i kidding, i am insanely biased, i am never going to admit to anything beating STTNG . fantastic theme integration, tons to do, great artwork, cool toys, fun to mod, tons of modes, full cast doing custom callouts ... come on. Patrick Stewart yelling "all hands prepare for multi ball!" wins pinball for all time all by itself.

#13 6 years ago

All three are winners. It seems rare that someone posts one of these and then lists 3 fantastic games. So you won't go wrong with whichever you pick.

So then on to your question, which is the best game to get. And that depends on what you're looking for.

LOTR is a quest. Over time the points mean less and less as you learn how to destroy the ring (DTR). Yes, your ball time will get longer, but you will get farther as well. Once you've destroyed the ring you start after There And Back Again (TABA). Then you are really trying to complete the multiballs (very tough, but the super jackpot calls are great!). And then you are supposed to combine all of those to get to Valinor? Good luck with that. I really miss my copy of the game, but I'll own it again. It is just a great quest type of game. So deep, and so brilliantly done.

Tron is a slap in the face. Fast, flowy, and loads of fun. I've owned one a bit more than 2.5 years, and except for needing a light shop job, it shows no sign of getting old. Some call it shallow, but that's ok for this game. Portal is very difficult to get to. It just has a zippy bitchy quality to it. A nice risk reward for some shots, and just plain fun. The spinning disc is so simple, and irritating at the same time. It can be a bit of a quick hitter with brutal games, but every once in a while it will reward you. Sea of Simulation (SOS) is a nice pre-wizard mode to let you get the modes you missed (Lightcycle). Good dots, good sound. Requires a subwoofer to get the full sound. Great game.

STTNG is greatness from the 90s. The one knock I will give it is that it can be a bit of a pig to maintain. The cannons can be a pain. But fully working and lit properly (one of the few games I like LEDs in), it is a great shooter. I don't like the video mode because like most it is just a pattern. The modes are fun, the Picard Manuver is a winner if you hit it repeatedly, and its fun! I always like the Rescue mode for some reason. And the jackpot calls are just right. It doesn't quite feel like other games of the era. It always feels big. But it is always a good play. Don't cheat with lane extensions or anything (very common on the game).

So overall I'm going to say if you want a quest, LOTR. If you want to get slapped in the face by a pretty girl, Tron. And if you want one of the best from a great era of pinball, STTNG. Every one of them is a winner.

#14 6 years ago

I've owned all 3 in the past.

All great games.

My preference : Tron > STNG > Lotr

Tron = Best overall theme, no waiting no gimmicks, most shallow of the 3, least forgiving

STNG = Fantastic and varied missions, butloads to shoot for, more than 1 satisfying shots too (center shot, Picard maneuver)

Lotr = too much waiting

The only one I currently want back is Tron because of it's no messing around in your face pure pinball action.

However if you don't like FT you may not like Tron cuz of it's even shorter ball times (for me at least, and I've owned FT too)

#15 6 years ago

LOTR>>STTNG>Tron

LOTR - Deep ruleset, good theme integration. Good playfield layout with nice toys integration. Very long games.

STTNG - Easy to get into but a challenge to master. Very good, if not the best film theme integration. Very good sound package with original voices of actors, cool! Very good playfield layout and complex subway system.

TRON - Very nice art package and great sound. Fast game with good flow. Not a deep ruleset. For me no long term pin.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Really with those three, pick the theme you like the best

Exactly... you can't go wrong with any of these titles.

Gameplay on these is great and highly regarded by most players. Go for the theme that resonates with you...

#17 6 years ago

I have owned all three (and still have TRON and LoTR), and for me it was:

TRON > LoTR > ST:TNG

Over the years I have found that I enjoy faster games that are not too deep as I am not a very good pin player and do not make it too far into the deep games. Also, I very much enjoyed the gameplay of ST over ST:TNG even though I can see why ST:TNG is such an amazing pin. In fact I prefer my IMVE to TRON, even though I love both and they are long-term keepers for me. It is not, then, just theme to me but also how much I enjoy playing the title that factors heavily into which pin I might keep or move. For example, if I my wife did not "forbid" me from selling LoTR I would have moved that instead of my TSPP as I found TSPP more fun to play than LoTR.

Yet, as always, play the pins if possible and decide which you prefer!

#18 6 years ago

They are all great titles, and I have owned both STTNG and LOTR. But in your collection I would go with LOTR so that you have a classic fan layout in a game with a great degree of depth. But consider TSPP which is equally deep, and a lot more fun than the other three.

#19 6 years ago

All 3 are great, but I have learned over the last few years that I prefer games with shorter ball times. Tron gets my vote, even though it has the worst dots by far. The music is awesome.

LOTR takes a long time to play. STTNG is somewhere in the middle (depending on my outlane luck). If you are looking for cost effectiveness, STTNG's have flooded the market so you might be able to get one for cheaper.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

All 3 are great, but I have learned over the last few years that I prefer games with shorter ball times. Tron gets my vote, even though it has the worst dots by far.

This is a good point. I often do not have time to focus on the DMD, but with LoTR I feel that the dots are really well done.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Easiest of the 3? WTF? You must get to valinor weekly then. So this must be Keith Elwins handle on pinside. Because if your not, your full of shit. Actually, I don't think even Keith can get there weekly. But maybe. I wouldn't put it past him.

A games difficulty is how hard it is to get to the final ending (if it has one), not ball times. You have to have long ball times to even have a chance to even hope, to see the ending. LOTR is the hardest, most complex and best out of all 3....by a longshot.

And why isn't there a poll for this thread? Also, it's nice to see 3 choices that actually exist. Unlike the what if threads to predict the future.

#23 6 years ago

Ouch, very tough choice. I own all 3 and I can't decide. Right now I may have to sell STTNG to make room and it is killing me - I can't seem to do it and the only reason I am even consdidering it is because I have owned it the longest (almost 6 years). It is a great game they all are.

I could never let LOTR go, even though it is the pin I play the least because games can be in the 40 minute range and I don't have stretches of free time that last that long too often - it is very immersive and probably the best integrated theme ever.

My Tron (LE) is a beautiful beast that can eat you up with the speed and I love the sound/art package and the flow of the ramps. I would only sell it if I had to choose between it or IronMan (which IMHO is the best game ever - always keeps me coming back for another beating - nothing like completing Jericho).

So that only leaves STTNG which also has great theme integration. Mine has always worked amazingly well so I can't comment on it's reported nightmarish maintenance issues.

So for me STTNG would have to go (but it will kill me when that day comes).

Chosing one is an easier decision as they are all great - you really can't go wrong - letting one of them go now that is a tough decision.

Good luck.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Easiest of the 3? WTF? You must get to valinor weekly then. So this must be Keith Elwins handle on pinside. Because if your not, your full of shit. Actually, I don't think even Keith can get there weekly. But maybe. I wouldn't put it past him.

You could have read my next post where I explained my comment. Not everybody determines difficulty the same way.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

You could have read my next post where I explained my comment. Not everybody determines difficulty the same way.

I know, I read it. Ball times shouldn't be a factor. If you trap the ball a ton, your going to have long ball times but don't accomplish shit. could have nothing but failed shots, failed ramps, black post rubber, blue rubber. Miss shot after shot, but play forever. Again, it's not easy because your not doing anything. The true test is how much you accomplish.

For Early SS and EM's, I rate the difficulty on how easy it is to roll it.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I know, I read it. Ball times shouldn't be a factor. If you trap the ball a ton, your going to have long ball times but don't accomplish shit. could have nothing but failed shots, failed ramps, black post rubber, blue rubber. Miss shot after shot, but play forever. Again, it's not easy because your not doing anything. The true test is how much you accomplish.
For Early SS and EM's, I rate the difficulty on how easy it is to roll it.

Since when is a ridiculously hard wizard mode determine the overall difficulty of the game? The multiballs are easy to achieve, destroying the ring isnt too bad either. There really isnt a difficult shot in the entire game. I seem to struggle with hitting gimli on purpose, but thats about it. The outlanes are not even close to as difficult as STTG. Tron has some really tight upper flipper shots. Posting a decent score is much easier in LOTR.

Ironman is a super shallow game, but I would consider it MUCH harder than LOTR.

#27 6 years ago

#28 6 years ago

I feel comparatively that I accomplish a lot more when I play LotR than STTNG. I don't sit and hold the ball, it is a lot easier to keep the ball alive and in turn I accomplish more as it is more forgiving. I get more chances to complete modes/multiballs as it is easier to recover from missed shots. I guess I should say the layout is easier since that is what I am referring to. Rules wise LOTR is more difficult.

#29 6 years ago

Though I don't find getting to the multiballs on LOTR be too difficult, I do find completing them difficult as well as some of the modes are really tough to complete. How many times have you killed the witch king or finished RoTK or FoTR? So I do agree that a deep rule set does not equal difficult, I do find LOTR to have plenty of difficulty to challenge a player. This coming from someone who has had his for almost 4 years and not a very good player.

#30 6 years ago

Just to pipe in on the difficulty conversation. I've not played a ton of Tron so can't really comment about that, but between LOTR and STTNG I consider STTNG to be the tougher game. If you miss a shot in STTNG, you are in trouble until you can get the ball back under control, which is easier said then done, and in general the shots are tougher and as i said, punishing when you miss them. The outlanes require a lot of skill to not have them just destroy you. You have to have total concentration on STTNG, any lapse will likely result in losing the ball. LOTR is far more forgiving of bad shots and in general you can have a good game with lesser skill (so better game for guests). I think getting to final frontier is about the same difficulty as destroy the ring, but does take less time. Valinor is at a different level and not comparable since it requires a far longer list of objectives. LOTR is clearly the deeper game, so does present a better longer term challenge.

I think you should get both, since they are very different games (fan vs 3 flipper, long vs short ball times, wide body vs standard, williams vs stern, etc.)

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You have to have total concentration on STTNG, any lapse will likely result in losing the ball.

There is no 'Shire' to bail you out in STTNG

#32 6 years ago

I really love Lord Of The Rings that's one pin I will keep forever and ever!!!! so that gets my vote...

#34 6 years ago

just own all three like me because I couldnt decide

however, tron and lotr are bolted to the floor and I could see sttng leaving in the future

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mount Airy, MD
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinfarmer Mods
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.95
Playfield - Plastics
MicksPinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cumberland, RI
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Williamson Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
5,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ruskin, FL
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Honeoye, NY
$ 50.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 350.00
Boards
Pinball Basement
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside