Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Wickerman2
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I have a STTNG I love it but the family does not, just to much going on for them is what they say. We also have an Avengers Pro that the wife and kid love and a Creature that we all enjoy very much. I am really considering a new Star Trek will some of you who have put time in on the new Trek give me your opinions.

Thanks John

#2 10 years ago

Too MUCH?

Sounds like it's time for an EM...... they might have a heart attack. There's way more to do on Avengers than STTNG lol....

#3 10 years ago

How important is finished code to you?

You could still purchase a new ST Pro many months from now and there will be more code done...heard they have a long ways to go right now.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Too MUCH?
Sounds like it's time for an EM...... they might have a heart attack. There's way more to do on Avengers than STTNG lol....</blockquote

I agree but just trying to convey what they say.

#5 10 years ago

Here is the response you’re going to likely get here.

Anyone that just dropped 5-8k for a NIB ST will likely tell you its way better than STTNG, at least for now.

Anyone that likes a classic widebody with custom original voice actors, solid code, many toys and features, great art (save the translite) will side with STTNG.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

You could still purchase a new ST Pro many months from now and there will be more code done...heard they have a long ways to go right now.

Very, that is why I like the Avengers I think for the most part it is finished.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks Bigdaddy that is why I am always so hesitant to ask questions like this on here. But before I do something rash like sell STTNG I just wanted a bit of advice from some other Pinheads. My son and I are actually on our way to St. Louis to go to the football game since he was little he has always liked the Seahawks.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from 1967Firebird:

My son and I are actually on our way to St. Louis to go to the football game since he was little he has always likes the Seahawks.

Cool! Then he should enjoy watching them pummel the Rams without mercy. It’s going to be a slaughter.

Yah, we all tend to be somewhat biased so, you have to take everything with a grain of salt.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Anyone that just dropped 5-8k for a NIB ST will likely tell you its way better than STTNG, at least for now.
Anyone that likes a classic widebody with custom original voice actors, solid code, many toys and features, great art (save the translite) will side with STTNG.

About 100% correct.

Here's my take (I've played both and own neither): Stern ST feels like the key shots of the old STTNG crossed with the speed and flow of Iron Man.

If you like widebodies, you'll like STTNG more. If you dislike widebodies like I almost universally do, you'll like ST more, the only issue is the code will hold ST back for then next weeks/months/years. Codewise, it's a far cry from STTNG.

#11 10 years ago

My wife does not care for STTNG. I think it is because she has not put enough games on it. She played new Star Trek and really liked it. She also really liked WOZ, which I particularly do not care for. I recently picked up a POTC and I have to say it is a great family title. I think you may be better off with a Spider Man, POTC, or maybe a Shrek as a good "family" pinball-but Star Trek has a great layout and lighting scheme. If they can get into the whole Trek theme-I would say it is a good choice.

#12 10 years ago

I love my STTNG. Most of my friends do not like it. I found Dr Who and RFM and TSPP are the favorites of others when they come. STTNG is for me though and I do not plan to part with it anytime soon. Since Star Trek has come I have significantly reduced playing SWE1. I have not played the new Star Trek but of the recent machines I have played, MET LE has been my favorite newer machine I have played as of late.

#13 10 years ago

ST a Lyman game. This virtually guarantees that the game will have a some amazing polished code at some point in the future. It's not a question of if, but when.

#14 10 years ago

Ritchie?

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

ST a Lyman game. This virtually guarantees that the game will have a some amazing polished code at some point in the future. It's not a question of if, but when.

Not Lyman right now....although he may do a polish of the code later, like he did for Tron.

#16 10 years ago

Steve Ritchie is the designer, Lyman is the software programmer

#17 10 years ago

I have TNG and also an ST on order.

TNG embodies the theme much better; ST plays much faster. Despite all the comparisons, I really don't think they play anywhere near the same.

However, if your family thinks there is "too much going on" with TNG, then ST is a good choice.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I see what you did there. Basically calling anybody that bought the ST to be opinionated. However anybody that owns a STTNG bought the game because it's got everything. All this coming from a guy who owns STTNG. Classic, LOL

#19 10 years ago

If you are a ST fan (or not) get all four. Something for everyone. STID is great fun even if you don't like the theme.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Vanapult:

Steve Ritchie is the designer, Lyman is the software programmer

Huh? Since when? Are you saying that because Stern tried to list all games as Lyman by making him head of programming? Last I heard he is absolutely not the programmer on ST.

#21 10 years ago

To my knowledge Lonnie was doing ST right now? I could be wrong but I thought it was his software at Expo?

I'm 99% sure ST is not Lyman full time right now though.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

To my knowledge Lonnie was doing ST right now? I could be wrong but I thought it was his software at Expo?
I'm 99% sure ST is not Lyman full time right now though.

Crap...that explains why every mode is "shoot all lit arrows, and they're all lit"......

#23 10 years ago

It is the new wiz kid not Lonnie!!!

#24 10 years ago

Okay, so I take back what I said about the software. I thought ST was a Lyman game, but it apparently isn't. Without him at the helm, all bets are off. I guess I just assumed that after the success of AC/DC that Ritchie and Lyman would be paired together from now on.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from 1967Firebird:

I have a STTNG I love it but the family does not, just to much going on for them is what they say.

Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Just buy the new one, and never update the code. That should keep everyone happy.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I see what you did there. Basically calling anybody that bought the ST to be opinionated. However anybody that owns a STTNG bought the game because it's got everything. All this coming from a guy who owns STTNG. Classic, LOL

Looks like you got me about half right there partner. True on the statement that people like STTNG because it has everything and that is exactly what I meant there, yes. Wrong on the opinionated ST owner’s accusation you made. What I was saying but, may not have made it clear enough, is that you seldom have people that just purchased a NIB pin say it sucks right away. The reason is the whole new pin euphoria that takes place during the first couple of months of ownership. No one has owned a ST for over two months yet so, I would say that there is a high probability of creating this type of bias. Whereas games that have been around for a while or games that a person has owned a while, this emotional swing has tapered off a bit and may allow for a more objective viewpoint.

Actually I was wrong at least for this thread, as no one has really came out saying that ST is way better then STTNG like I predicted. You see how easy that is (to admit when you’re wrong)?

#27 10 years ago

Your family probably dislikes STTNG for the same reason many do...it's a difficult game. STTNG is very deep and challenging. One of the best integrations of theme in all of pinball with all the bells and whistles. Can be unforgiving and many people don't like the challenge it presents.

ST is more family friendly. People who just want to play like that they are shooting the lit shots and keeping the ball moving. If you are a cpmpetitve player playing for points though, ST right now is starting multiballs and timing out near worthless modes to get to unbalanced rewards. Players realize it isn't worth shooting for the lit shots for 100,000 points and worth draining the ball. Right now, there isn't near enough to keep me interested in ST long term, but I am not a casual player.

So...STTNG is by far and large the better game, but for the casual audience ST is a good choice if you want a new game.

#28 10 years ago

I didn't find STTNG that hard, it takes fairly long to to get through all the modes but in the year I owned it I completed the game many times. It is a fantastic pinball but I can't wait for my ST LE, even if I had to choose without having played STTNG I'd still go with the newer ST. I love the older pins but they are just that and really starting to show there age with some of the more recent stern pin's. ST LE all the way......

#29 10 years ago

Ok, here's my take. Everyone should know by now I am a big Star Trek fan from the beginning. I have owned my STTNG for 10 years now. This past Saturday I drove 75 miles to Flippers in Grandy NC to play the new Star Trek Pro. I have a STLE on order. I love the new Star Trek pro, everything I have read about it is true, bright, fast, great flow. I cant wait to get my LE as I am sure it will be even better. I also love my STTNG and would never consider selling it but as far as comparing the two I think the only thing they have in common beside their both Star Trek is the fact they both have 3 flippers, that's it, the difference to me is like night and day, both great in their own way but yes I still don't like the red DMD and that will be the only change I plain to make. Here is some video I took at Flippers, Star Trek is at the beginning.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Looks like you got me about half right there partner. True on the statement that people like STTNG because it has everything and that is exactly what I meant there, yes.

Well not really. I was commenting how you say STTNG has everything, when you yourself own the game. Just jabbing at your possible bias toward STTNG. Iv'e owned the game for several years but just got tired of it.

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Wrong on the opinionated ST owner’s accusation you made. What I was saying but, may not have made it clear enough, is that you seldom have people that just purchased a NIB pin say it sucks right away.

That's a common misconception people seem to make on Pinside over and over. On one side you have the people who own the game and should know if it sucks. On the other side you have people who have played the game that think it sucks and all the other side is doing is protecting their investment, yes I said investment. So which side is right? I don't know but I tend to believe anybody that owns the game before someone that claims to have played it.
But that's just me. Also people flip games all the time right after purchasing it.

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Actually I was wrong at least for this thread, as no one has really came out saying that ST is way better then STTNG like I predicted. You see how easy that is (to admit when you’re wrong)?

LOL, I'm glad you have a lighter side. I think we are both right. I think SOME people actually do hype their newly purchased game because they know they are going to sell it soon. But mostly people are being honest .

#31 10 years ago

I enjoyed playing the new ST very much. It was a lot better than I thought it would be.....fun game.

That being said I would not trade my STTNG for a new ST.

For a STLE? Sure.....I'm not stupid.

P.S. I would then sell the STLE and buy another STTNG and something else.

#32 10 years ago

Well not really. I was commenting how you say STTNG has everything, when you yourself own the game. Just jabbing at your possible bias toward STTNG. Iv'e owned the game for several years but just got tired of it.

True^^

That's a common misconception people seem to make on Pinside over and over. On one side you have the people who own the game and should know if it sucks. On the other side you have people who have played the game that think it sucks and all the other side is doing is protecting their investment, yes I said investment. So which side is right? I don't know but I tend to believe anybody that owns the game before someone that claims to have played it.
But that's just me. Also people flip games all the time right after purchasing it.

It's hard to argue against this. ^^^

LOL, I'm glad you have a lighter side. I think we are both right. I think SOME people actually do hype their newly purchased game because they know they are going to sell it soon. But mostly people are being honest .

Couldn't agree more. ^^^^

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Wrong. Just because I buy something doesn't mean I need to lie about it. This is a super annoying assumption. Have you considered that people own games because they like them rather then they lie about liking them because they own them? Geez.

I own both games. Here is my comparison:

Sttng: one if the best integrations of theme in pinball. Every original voice actor hired for game original quotes.
Stid: movie clip sounds only. Sounds are decent but not all that engaging.
Sttng big winner here.

Sttng: Doug Watson did a fantastic job on the rules. Not a lot of repetition. Lots of strategy, good wizard mode, its a ruleset master piece.
Stid: rules are stubbed in as of v1.2. Modes are implemented. Lots of repetition. Seems after a couple hours you've done everything multiple times.
Sttng big winner here.

Sttng: Layout has three ramps, three flippers, two guns. Decent flow if you're making shots. Shots are far and difficult to make. Very high level of punishment for missing. Drain monster at times.
Stid: three ramps and three flippers. Shots are extremy wide and easy to make. One of the fastest and best flowing games I've ever played.
Stid shoots better in my opinion. But not by much.

To me, sttng is the whole package. One of the best games ever released. Stid is pretty fun and very fast but its not in the same category. I would not sell sttng and get stid - probably not even after all the code updates. That doesn't make the new Star Trek bad. It's just not better than the older.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Wrong. Just because I buy something doesn't mean I need to lie about it. This is a super annoying assumption. Have you considered that people own games because they like them rather then they lie about liking them because they own them? Geez

You got me all wrong there and is waaaaaayyyy far from what I was trying to say. Sorry that's how you took it. I certainly did not mean to say that anyone would lie. Just that there is some initial excitement over getting a new pin that clouds a pinheads initial judgments/reviews. Geez lighten up some pal, a bit cocked an loaded are we?

#35 10 years ago

I own both machines. I think they're both great. There is no way I'd trade STTNG for the new machine though. The new machine is a total pleasure to play, though I've only had it a few days. I'm finding the modes a little tough to figure out so far. It's really smooth and fast, and a lot of fun, but I get the sense that the software needs a little revision, as folks here seem to be saying. To be clear, I've been playing a Pro model, though I'm awaiting an LE. My local retailer was nice enough to deliver the Pro to me while we're waiting for the LE to arrive. The depth of STTNG is simply fantastic. As far as a modern machine with that kind of depth, I think Lord of the Rings is also fantastic. Personal bias of course, as I own that machine as well. I feel very lucky to have the Star Trek LE on the way, but even if all the bugs get worked out, I'd never trade it for STTNG.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I own both machines. I think they're both great. There is no way I'd trade STTNG for the new machine though. The new machine is a total pleasure to play, though I've only had it a few days. I'm finding the modes a little tough to figure out so far. It's really smooth and fast, and a lot of fun, but I get the sense that the software needs a little revision, as folks here seem to be saying. To be clear, I've been playing a Pro model, though I'm awaiting an LE. My local retailer was nice enough to deliver the Pro to me while we're waiting for the LE to arrive. The depth of STTNG is simply fantastic. As far as a modern machine with that kind of depth, I think Lord of the Rings is also fantastic. Personal bias of course, as I own that machine as well. I feel very lucky to have the Star Trek LE on the way, but even if all the bugs get worked out, I'd never trade it for STTNG.

Well you and Markmon just blew my whole initial post to bits then, based on your statements here.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Well you and Markmon just blew my whole initial post to bits then, based on your statements here.

Haha. Not my intention at all. Just trying to say STTNG is an incredible machine. Maybe think about an LED upgrade to breathe some new life in to it. I'm doing my LOTR machine now, and planning to do my STTNG machine next. I'm so enamoured with the LED lighting in my new Star Trek pin, it makes the old machines look dull! Probably from a purist standpoint, I should leave them alone, but I never intend to sell my machines, so why not make them look awesome??!!

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I'm finding the modes a little tough to figure out so far.

Don't you just pick one, and then shoot the colored lit shots? I've only played it on location, so maybe I was missing something.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Maybe think about an LED upgrade to breathe some new life in to it

LEDs make a night and day difference in STTNG for sure. Warm white just look wrong on anything ST.

I recommend super bright whites under the inlane plastics and slings. The first time you fight the Borg and take a hit on your shields, you'll know why I say that.

#40 10 years ago

Wife and I played a fair bit of ST at chicago Expo and pbl. It has some great potential, and you can tell it's going to be a very fast game, faster than STTNG imho. I love STTNG and so does the wife (its her favorite) so it will be here a long time. I would highly recommend you take your wife with you and play the Pro or LE (when it ships) together before you decide. That way you can decide together which one is better if its a one vs the other decision.

#41 10 years ago

I would own a Stern ST before a Williams ST. Way more flow, faster and just a lot more fun.
My opinion of course. Owned a Williams ST for awhile and sold it. Played ST at expo for 2 straight hours and it kept making me press the start button.

D

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Played ST at expo for 2 straight hours and it kept making me press the start button.
D

Well I hope that's not true......unless it was 4am and no one was waiting

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Don't you just pick one, and then shoot the colored lit shots? I've only played it on location, so maybe I was missing something.

Yes, of course. I'm talking about getting the Captain's chair multiball. It seems you have to "complete" each mode, not just play it in order to get the 3 in a row CC multiball. Only there is no discernible difference in terms of lighting on the board to illustrate this. The difference seems to be, that you are able to restart this mission in mission select. Therefor it has been played, but not completed. Just getting to know it. It would be cool if the mission flashed once completed, or went solid once completed. Some way to see at a glance what you've played, vs what you've completed. Still learning.

#44 10 years ago

STTNG would be a pin that I could not get rid of if I had one, even if I wanted to.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's what it appears. Instruction cards don't say much. I didn't care as it played great today @ MPNYC.

#46 10 years ago

I think it in part depends on whether you like deep epic code with lots of different playfield interaction, or a fast in your face smooth shooting pin.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

I think it in part depends on whether you like deep epic code with lots of different playfield interaction, or a fast in your face smooth shooting pin.

I have my STTNG and next to it is a fast in your face smooth shooting JM. Id trade the JM in a second for a new ST tho!

#48 10 years ago

STTNG will always be the better game, even if ST has updated code.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Wrong. Just because I buy something doesn't mean I need to lie about it. This is a super annoying assumption. Have you considered that people own games because they like them rather then they lie about liking them because they own them? Geez.
I own both games. Here is my comparison:
Sttng: one if the best integrations of theme in pinball. Every original voice actor hired for game original quotes.
Stid: movie clip sounds only. Sounds are decent but not all that engaging.
Sttng big winner here.
Sttng: Doug Watson did a fantastic job on the rules. Not a lot of repetition. Lots of strategy, good wizard mode, its a ruleset master piece.
Stid: rules are stubbed in as of v1.2. Modes are implemented. Lots of repetition. Seems after a couple hours you've done everything multiple times.
Sttng big winner here.
Sttng: Layout has three ramps, three flippers, two guns. Decent flow if you're making shots. Shots are far and difficult to make. Very high level of punishment for missing. Drain monster at times.
Stid: three ramps and three flippers. Shots are extremy wide and easy to make. One of the fastest and best flowing games I've ever played.
Stid shoots better in my opinion. But not by much.
To me, sttng is the whole package. One of the best games ever released. Stid is pretty fun and very fast but its not in the same category. I would not sell sttng and get stid - probably not even after all the code updates. That doesn't make the new Star Trek bad. It's just not better than the older.

I appreciate the feedback, I do not want to sell it I am just the only one who gives it play and need to figure out is that is going to be ok with me or not.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Mantra:

Wife and I played a fair bit of ST at chicago Expo and pbl. It has some great potential, and you can tell it's going to be a very fast game, faster than STTNG imho. I love STTNG and so does the wife (its her favorite) so it will be here a long time. I would highly recommend you take your wife with you and play the Pro or LE (when it ships) together before you decide. That way you can decide together which one is better if its a one vs the other decision.

Yes we always play before we buy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-verses-stern-star-trek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.