Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by donjagra
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I seemed to have encountered the WPC reset issue on my STTNG. The game just started doing this in the past day or so and now it is fairly consistent. I did not have any resets prior to today, and I have not changed anything recently either.

I've tried taking off the back box and reseating some of the connectors, but it doesn't appear to have fixed the resets. I took a video of the back box while turning the game on and letting it run for a minute to see if anyone had any ideas on what I might start looking at. I don't know if it's normal or not for the led on the cpu board to the left to be blinking and for one to be off.

I was able to just step away from writing this post and play two full games now though, but I didn't do anything special, so I'm still assuming the problem exists.

Here's a link to the youtube video I recorded of the game just turning off after about a minute of gameplay.

I appreciate any advice or ideas. Thanks

#2 8 years ago

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

Read and follow this, it's the grail on wpc resets.

#3 8 years ago

http://www.kahr.us/

Above sells a "fix" board that is a work around, doesn't fix the issue, but will stop resets. Eventually whatever is causing the voltage drop may fail, but this definitely works for a cheap fast fix.

#4 8 years ago

This is caused by the failure of a bunch of components (mostly connectors and capacitors) spread all through the machine. You can sort it out in many cases by replacing three caps - the main smoothing cap, the smaller post-regulator cap, and the input cap on the MPU board. I forget the IDs of these right now, but can look them up. I find that in many cases that's enough, but it's not a full solution. I'm not 100% happy with the daughterboard solution either - it should have much the same effect as replacing those caps, but with the downside of being expensive, and loading down a another PSU rail that isn't intended to do that. I guess it'd work OK, but it just feels like a *wrong* solution...

(Note - other things can go wrong to cause this too, e.g. half of the bridge rectifier failing, but that seems relatively less common)

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

http://www.kahr.us/
Above sells a "fix" board that is a work around, doesn't fix the issue, but will stop resets. Eventually whatever is causing the voltage drop may fail, but this definitely works for a cheap fast fix.

In my opinion, use this solution now. No unscrewing to do, or extra troubleshooting. Should the problem resurface, then you can go to the effort and extra cost to fix it the other way. That's what I did when my stng started resetting one day. Back up and running the day the power module arrived and hasn't glitched since.

#6 8 years ago

Reseating J101, J102, J114 (on the driver board) and J210 (on the MPU board) normally does the trick for me.

Edit: Usually is a temporary fix though. If it runs a long time without issues, likely will need to repin some of these connectors and resolder the male pins on the driver board.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

In my opinion, use this solution now. No unscrewing to do, or extra troubleshooting. Should the problem resurface, then you can go to the effort and extra cost to fix it the other way.

You could fix a row of WPC games for the cost of one Kahr board. More convenient sure but checking voltages, reflowing solder, repinning connectors, removing z connectors, and only potentially replacing caps/BRs is real cheap.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

You could fix a row of WPC games for the cost of one Kahr board. More convenient sure but checking voltages, reflowing solder, repinning connectors, removing z connectors, and only potentially replacing caps/BRs is real cheap.

depends what your time is worth.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Heh, I fully agree! It doesn't take me long to do this these days.

Quoted from pezpunk:

depends what your time is worth.

Heh, I fully agree! If I really had no time, and just needed a machine up and running, I'd consider using one of those boards. But I'd feel guilty about it, and I'd pull it out again ASAP and do the proper fix.

So... it's a matter of perspective. For me, the 'correct' solution is making the machine work as it was intended (with a couple of minor quality and component choice improvements thrown in, perhaps). Plus, there are a number of issues with the approach that board takes - I really don't approve. But I'm not going to nit-pick, if someone wants to take that path, and it solves their problem, all good.

#10 8 years ago

The daughter board works great and it is only $30. It moves the cpu off of the overtaxed 5v to the under utilized 12v. In some ways, it should have been done this way to begin with. My time is worth a lot these days, enough to not spend 3 hours chasing down a reset issue. Someday when I have more time I can fix the issue, but the game will play perfectly until then. Every collector should have one of these on hand for the game that only resets during a pinball party too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 85.00
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
$ 9.95
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-turning-off-in-middle-of-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.