46_(resized).jpg
40_(resized).jpg
44_(resized).jpg
42_(resized).jpg
41_(resized).jpg
38_(resized).jpg
39_(resized).jpg
37_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider homepin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago

It is normal for the resistors to get too hot to touch. That's one of the main reasons the original boards are not ideal.

I would replace them with a more modern set of aftermarket boards made by several vendors.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Thanks! I had found those guys too, but they do not do online sales, no CC and no paypal, nothing. They want people to open an account! How 1940's of them. I might call them if I'm desperate, but looks like days and days just for the account opening process. Weird!

Yeah, I'm going to do that. Sick of the old boards already.

Sure, sure. Enlarge the holes and install grommets. Great idea. I would do that if my board(s) weren't fried already. Awesome pics. Thanks for the idea. I just bought grommets like those too (from Ace Hardware), for a lighting project at home...

In stock at AU$55 the pair (that's only about US$40 for you) and greatly improved over the originals. Many buyers report delivery from Australia by ordinary air post in under two weeks:

http://www.johns-arcade.com/#!product-page/c1cs/e16af231-9f4b-6d3d-7631-be95f87ae1ed

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

If you do, I would love to have your original boards (even if they don't work) ... call me weird but I just thing the older stuff was built better.

I also advocate repair over replacement but I disagree that "older boards were better built". I repaired a WMS driver board yesterday (transistor broke off its legs) and the tracks are disgustingly small, the print quality is woeful and the plated through holes are hopeless.

Modern printed circuit boards are a massive improvement over 30 year old tech.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

While this is all true, I have the equipment to perform these repairs and have a soldering iron with a tip that's about the same size as these tracks.

We have some of the best equipment available in the factory (as you might expect) and I have a lot of experience repairing these over many decades but I still cringed at having to do it and work with kid gloves - you just don't have to do this on newer PCBs and that is my point:

Newer PCBs are far and away superior in every way to 20~30 year old ones.

With that said, I certainly still advocate repair over replacement where it is practical and where the end result will be reliable. These trough boards are a well known weak point due to the continuous mechanical thumping of the balls and the (IMO) poor original design, putting large, hot resistors on a board in this position was plain silly.

In fact this original design looks like it was done by a high school hobbyist - there is no need for these large, heavy, hot resistors in the design to start with - but that's a different story, there are tens of thousands of them out there working just fine so it's not all bad!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 64.99
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider homepin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-trough-opto-issue?tu=homepin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.