image-435.jpg
image-984.jpg
image-735.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1729.jpg
STTNG_DropTarget1.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I bought my first pin (STTNG) a few months ago and my brother and I have been going through it and fixing all the issues. One issue we are facing is that Top Drop Down (solenoid #40) doesn't work. The only way the drop target drops is with a ball strike. We determined that the coil was bad so I've ordered a new coil. However there are a couple of observations with the mechanism that I'm wondering if they are normal or not. First is that the assembly that the coil moves to hit the drop target is resting against the PCB (see attached picture). This puts a fair bit of distance between the assembly and coil and it seems strange that the factory would design it like this. However I haven't seen any evidence of a broken stopper or other mechanism that the assembly should rest on. Is this normal behavior? I found a couple pictures of this assembly online and one had the assembly resting against the PCB while the other seemed to be resting much closer to the coil. Second, the spring that holds this assembly has alot of tension; more than seems necessary. Given these two factors it seems like the coil will have to work really hard to move this assembly and drop the target on command. Is this assembly mechanism working as expected or is there more I need to do than just replace the coil?

STTNG_DropTarget1.jpgSTTNG_DropTarget1.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Your bracket appears to be broken and missing the tine that comes up through the rectangle hole in the plate, just in front of the tension spring.
It comes up thru the hole and curves back to hold the plate in place and also set it's depth of throw.

IMG_1729.jpgIMG_1729.jpg

#3 11 years ago

You need this I believe:
(the part broken on yours is the long middle finger sticking up, that gets bent back down during assy)

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=A-14913

#4 11 years ago

Ah, thanks for the info! I'll order a new bracket. It looks like when I bend the tine down I should eyeball it so that I get the plate somewhat close to the coil?

#5 11 years ago

Just to wrap up the thread: I got the drop target fixed yesterday. First I checked to see if any voltage was coming down the wire and there was some. We installed the new coil and bracket and tested the mechanisms and everything worked properly. Once we got the old bracket off it was easy to see that the tine had broken off sometime in the past. One of the hardest parts of the fix was removing and then later reattaching the assembly to the underside of the playfield. For instance, a PCB gets in the way of one of the screws.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballYeti:

Just to wrap up the thread:

There is a mod I would suggest for your game. The green up coil - see the three purple wires green stripe going to the single lug ( the thin one is more lavender looking than purple ) ?

I would remove those three wires. Then get a single wire. Solder those three wires to one end of the single wire, and then the other end of the single wire to the coil lug.

The way your game is now, if that thin wire breaks off ( common STNG problem ) it is a diode tie back wire, and you blow a lot of neat stuff on the small driver board in the upper right corner of the head and smoke a subway coil.

With the three wires going to a single wire, if for what ever reason that single wire breaks off, the three stay together and you don't blow up a lot of stuff.

LTG : )

7 months later
#7 10 years ago

G'day all. I've just bought my first machine, and it's this one - and I have the (apparently infamous) drop target sticking up problem. I've removed the assembly, but nothing looks broken. However I see no way that the down solenoid could bump the drop target to cause it to drop... Does anyone have a good close up pic of the drop mechanism I can reference? (I've attached a pic of mine just in case anyone can immediately see the problem...)

Cheers,

Andy
image.jpgimage.jpg

Post edited by adavison17 : deleted repeat images

#8 10 years ago

andy look at the picture in post 2.
The coil should pull a long needle like poker into the hole on top of the pulldown coil... pushing the drop target over the latching ramp.

your picture looks like it's missing the poker to me.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks Zitt,

That's what I'd figured also... I was thinking of pulling it out and braising a rod poker to it for the purpose, but is there an actual part I can get to replace it. (The flash flare in post two made it hard to see, but now you point it out I think I see how it's supposed to work). I took a look in the maintenance guide but there's nothing clear there either.

The part in post 3 doesn't look like it will do the trick...

I can see lots of cash going into mods for this baby... Screen and sound as starters, but it's such a great game to start with!

Andy

#10 10 years ago

Looks like the actuator arm is broke.
Part #01-8647-L
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-8647-L

#11 10 years ago

Damn, thanks Samin, that's the one alright.

I spent the evening manufacturing a fix from a small piece of stainless strap I had lying around....

This is the broken arm...
image.jpgimage.jpg

And this is the new actuator I made....
image-735.jpgimage-735.jpgimage-984.jpgimage-984.jpg

And fitted together....
image-435.jpgimage-435.jpg

To finish it off I tapped an 3mm thread into the bronze piece, and secured the two together with a machine screw (from an old hard drive assembly).

Works a treat, but I might order myself a new one anyway.

Thanks for all the help guys!

(Oh, while I'm at it does anyone else have a problem with the ball bouncing out of the drain under the Borg ship on launch? It screws up the probe skill shot every other time now that I have the drop target working properly...)

Cheers,

Andy

#12 10 years ago

First, why are you choosing Fire Probe?
Second, maybe you need to check your slant?

#13 10 years ago

It's my sons favorite launch
option (he's only 6).

And I haven't checked the slant, but the floors pretty level... Will take a look at that tonight... Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 64.99
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
$ 9.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-top-drop-target-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.