New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 199616)

STTNG Top Drop Target Blew Up?

By eldawg

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by eldawg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

microswitch bracket-01-10183 (resized).JPG
STTNG 1-bank (resized).JPG
IMG_1591[1] (resized).JPG
20171005_230436 (resized).jpg
20171005_230225 (resized).jpg
20171005_230215 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Hi all this is my first tech post. I've found the forums great for resolving my other errors like eddy adjustments and Borg locks, so thanks for that.

This STTNG is my first pin and this is my first time under the hood of a pin. I've had it for about 3 months.

One error remains "Check Switch 57 Top Drop Target"

I couldn't really find anything about it so I lifted the playing field and I see a drop target just hanging there. I have no idea where it should go...all the wires are still connected. This is a surprise to me because I thought this game only had one drop target...might have been this way since I got it.

Please see pics...the yellow window drop target is just hanging there. The one where im ponting is approx where its hangine underneath. The rear drop target is there on the right its black and hard to see but that one is fine.

Thanks for any insight or pics that could help guide me as to where this should be and what it should look like.

Cheers

20171005_230215 (resized).jpg

20171005_230225 (resized).jpg

20171005_230436 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from eldawg:

Hi all this is my first tech post. I've found the forums great for resolving my other errors like eddy adjustments and Borg locks, so thanks for that.
This STTNG is my first pin and this is my first time under the hood of a pin. I've had it for about 3 months.
One error remains "Check Switch 57 Top Drop Target"
I couldn't really find anything about it so I lifted the playing field and I see a drop target just hanging there. I have no idea where it should go...all the wires are still connected. This is a surprise to me because I thought this game only had one drop target...might have been this way since I got it.
Please see pics...the yellow window drop target is just hanging there. The one where im ponting is approx where its hangine underneath. The rear drop target is there on the right its black and hard to see but that one is fine.
Thanks for any insight or pics that could help guide me as to where this should be and what it should look like.
Cheers

That's not a drop target, it's the switch that triggers when the drop target you're pointing at in the last picture drops down. You're getting the error because the switch never registers that the target has dropped down. This will make some modes not work right.

You need to put that switch bracket back on (or buy a bracket if the part that mounts to has broken) so the drop target arm triggers the leaf switch when the target is down.

#3 3 years ago

Love STTNG, hate the idea of that being your first pin. Try not to get too frustrated, it’s a complicated game that’s tough to work on. If you can survive this and still have pin fever, it’s true love.

#4 3 years ago

Looks like the bracket that mounts the switch to the drop target assembly broke. Can you see some rough edges or parts on the metal piece that is left on the back of the switch?

This is the part that broke. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-10183

#5 3 years ago

as vireland said, the piece in your hand is the switch that gets triggered when the drop target is in the down position. since that switch isn't getting pressed, some modes won't work properly. that yellow piece isn't a drop target, it's just a plate that keeps things aligned. here's a photo of mine:

IMG_1591[1] (resized).JPG

#6 3 years ago

4 dollar part. Here it is. Image courtesy of Marco

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-10183

If it were my game, I'd have one of these on hand too.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-14615

Do you have a copy of the manual? If not, get yourself one, or get one electronically from IPDB
here's page 79 in the manual where the 1-bank schematic is, showing the broken part:

-Dan

STTNG 1-bank (resized).JPG

microswitch bracket-01-10183 (resized).JPG

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from adii:

Love STTNG, hate the idea of that being your first pin. Try not to get too frustrated, it’s a complicated game that’s tough to work on. If you can survive this and still have pin fever, it’s true love.

i actually laughed out loud at this at my desk....

..........and back to work..

#8 3 years ago

Thanks a lot for the responses will be looking closer at this tonight!
adii I know eh but I love STTNG and came into it eyes wide open haha no worries I'm loving It!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.99
Boards
PinSound

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside