IMG_2987 (resized).jpg
IMG_2986 (resized).jpg
IMG_2985 (resized).jpg
correction -key.png
HVPower (resized).jpg
8DriverModPinWiki2 (resized).png
D13-16.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I do not have the problem (yet) but I like to be informed to prevent any damage. I read a lot about the tie back on the drop target in STTNG but I did not find any clear, simple answer to the solution. As soon as the thin purple/green wire on the drop target coil gets loose the 8 driver board and the diverter on the subway gets damaged. There is a method of preventing this but I did never understand what to do exactly. As far as I learned it should have been done correctly in production but wasn't done in a lot of machines. Can somebody explain what to do - best would be by pictures!

#3 8 years ago

The posting is a little bit confusing. How is the tieback done? A photo of the finished mod would be great.

#4 8 years ago

Basically you remove the three purple wires from the coil, solder/crimp them together with a forth that now goes to the coil where they were previously.

The other option is to solder another wire into the tieback wire say 6 inches up from where it is attached now, and run that to the other coil for that drop mech. Then, if one breaks off, there is a back up.

#5 8 years ago

I have a question then. Isn't there a way to tie it together in the back box? Seems like it's there for fault protection

#6 8 years ago

It was an after thought design from what I have read. You could do that as well, but that would involve modifying the connectors on the driver 8 and driver board, and changing both to molex, and having to double up wires for one pin on each.

Either of these fixes should result in an end result that doesn't need to be worried about again.

#7 8 years ago

Thanx! Sounds very interesting. It would be great to have a photo of the first method (with the fourth wire). Just to visualize it...

#8 8 years ago

Left picture is the standard connection of the tieback wire + 4 coils
In the right picture the tieback wire goes directly from J4-1 (A+) to J107-1 and skips the playfield part.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Basically you remove the three purple wires from the coil, solder/crimp them together with a forth that now goes to the coil where they were previously

Quoted from ClarkKent:

Thanx! Sounds very interesting. It would be great to have a photo of the first method (with the fourth wire). Just to visualize it...

I'm not sure how exactly to draw this, maybe someone can use this picture to visualize this

8drv mod.jpg8drv mod.jpg

#9 8 years ago

THAT's the best solution! Thank you very very very much for finally clearing this up!

#10 8 years ago

Even better picture with diode visible in circuit.

8-drive+tieback+diode+bce.jpg8-drive+tieback+diode+bce.jpg

#11 8 years ago

Now I can see ALL!

Is there something additionally necessary or is it really only the tieback wire to J107/1? I did not look at the board - is the diode already there?

#12 8 years ago

Only the tieback wire is necessary, the blocking diodes (D13-D16 in red circles) are onboard.
D13-16.jpgD13-16.jpg

#13 8 years ago

Thank you very very much! I think this will help many many STTNG owners to protect their machines...

2 years later
#14 6 years ago

Hi guys does anyone have pictures of either method of this mod completed? Or any update in which of the 2 methods is best (backbox or under the play field)? I want to check if mine is done...and if not want to get it done. Thanks

#15 6 years ago

Great diagrams in post 8 show how it should look.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Great diagrams in post 8 show how it should look.

where under the pf do I look? Working on one tonight.

#17 6 years ago

The drop target near the back of the game, so when the pf is up its at the bottom.

#18 6 years ago

I hope you were able to get this done. It's not a matter of IF the diode will fail, but WHEN. Mine happened recently and filled my whole house with rubbery smoke because a coil locked on and burned up the coil sleeve before I realized what was happening. I also had to buy a whole new Rottendog 8-Driver board. A $50 mistake that could have been avoided with a free mod.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I hope you were able to get this done. It's not a matter of IF the diode will fail, but WHEN. Mine happened recently and filled my whole house with rubbery smoke because a coil locked on and burned up the coil sleeve before I realized what was happening. I also had to buy a whole new Rottendog 8-Driver board. A $50 mistake that could have been avoided with a free mod.

Gonna try this soon...Wish there was a video of the procedure done. I always youtube before doing alot of things around the house because I can usually see exactly how to do something.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Or just replace the transistors for a couple of bucks, and not buy a whole new board

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Or just replace the transistors for a couple of bucks, and not buy a whole new board

Not always. Sometimes more on that small board is destroyed.

LTG : )

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Yeah I tried that but still had issues. It's nice knowing I'm not dealing with 25 year old hardware too.

#25 6 years ago

Id love to see pics but I get an error message. Can you post pics here?

#26 6 years ago

mwong168 this is great thank you. So basically J108 (left) is 50V and so much closer to the aux8 board so why not tie it back to there? Is that the idea?

#27 6 years ago

This pic is from the PinWiki.
It's the same technique that appears on the pinballrevolution page.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

8DriverModPinWiki2 (resized).png8DriverModPinWiki2 (resized).png

#28 6 years ago

The thread I just read that I linked said to run the factory tie back wire to J108 that pic shows it tied back to J107?

#29 6 years ago

I guess either is fine because they're both 50v

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from eldawg:

The thread I just read that I linked said to run the factory tie back wire to J108 that pic shows it tied back to J107?

Yes...the referenced pins on connectors J107 and J108 are connected via a trace on the PCB.
So, you can connect to J107/1 or J108/1.
--

HVPower (resized).jpgHVPower (resized).jpg

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Yes...the referenced pins on connectors J107 and J108 are connected via a trace on the PCB.
--

Thanks a lot Chris and everyone else this is crystal clear now. Appreciate it cheers

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

--

So in a nutshell. Desolder from the lug, pull out of the wireloom and reattach to that J107/1? attach to underside of header pin?

#33 6 years ago

I think a lot of folks use J108-1 since this jack is not used on STTNG; all you need is the appropriate 3 pin connectors to punch/crimp the wire into.

#34 6 years ago

I always add diodes to the divertors, target up/down coils as well. This way if the tieback drops out the circuit is still protected.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

So in a nutshell. Desolder from the lug, pull out of the wireloom and reattach to that J107/1? attach to underside of header pin?

I'd crimp a new pin and use J108/1.
I plan to make this mod to my game, just so I can take pics for the PinWiki.
--

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I'd crimp a new pin and use J108/1.
I plan to make this mod to my game, just so I can take pics for the PinWiki.
--

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Just followed the pics on the link. Looks pretty straight forward.

#38 6 years ago

In case someone got confused by the 'key' in J106-2 (picture in post #30), here's the correct location of 'key' at pin 4:
correction -key.pngcorrection -key.png

2 years later
#39 4 years ago

This may be frowned upon, but rather than re-pinning anything I used a pair of taps (one red, one blue) to bridge J107-1 on the driver board to J4-1 on the 8 driver PCB. Mine is the black wire, which I will label for the next guy.

IMG_2985 (resized).jpgIMG_2985 (resized).jpgIMG_2986 (resized).jpgIMG_2986 (resized).jpgIMG_2987 (resized).jpgIMG_2987 (resized).jpg
#40 4 years ago

#41 4 years ago

Why? If there's a reason not to do this, let's tell folks why they shouldn't follow my example

7 months later
#42 3 years ago

I'm confused
The main TNG thread says my machine doesn't have the tieback done from these pictures. But isn't the coil supposed to have a third purple wire if it hasn't been done? And what normally goes in j107 ?what's in mine isn't the tieback? If not done which wi
re should I be cutting on the coil?thanks for any help.

IMG_20200810_204649 (resized).jpgIMG_20200810_204649 (resized).jpgIMG_20200812_204525 (resized).jpgIMG_20200812_204525 (resized).jpgIMG_20200810_204639 (resized).jpgIMG_20200810_204639 (resized).jpg

#43 3 years ago

Where does that yellow wire run off to ?

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Where does that yellow wire run off to ?

Goes back into the bundle .
If I do the method where I just add a wire from j4 to j7 is there a specific wire I should buy?

IMG_20200812_230158 (resized).jpgIMG_20200812_230158 (resized).jpgIMG_20200812_230228 (resized).jpgIMG_20200812_230228 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20200812_230153 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20200812_230153 (resized).jpg
#45 3 years ago

I don't think there's anything wrong with your wiring.

Here is the tieback wire connected to the drop target reset solenoid. Circled (actually ovaled if that's a word) in red.

tie-back-wire.jpgtie-back-wire.jpg

And here is where that wire as well as the YEL-WHT and ORG-WHT wires that are visibly attached to the drop target reset solenoid and the drop target down solenoid connect into the 8-driver board.

8-aux-driver.jpg8-aux-driver.jpg

It all looks factory to me (i.e. nobody has messed with the wiring).

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

I'm confused
The main TNG thread says my machine doesn't have the tieback done from these pictures. But isn't the coil supposed to have a third purple wire if it hasn't been done? And what normally goes in j107 ?what's in mine isn't the tieback? If not done which wi
re should I be cutting on the coil?thanks for any help.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The thin purple-green wire is normally on the green target-up coil (pictured below) however Pinwiki diagram shows it off the yellow target-down coil.

Tieback (resized).jpgTieback (resized).jpg
#47 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I don't think there's anything wrong with your wiring.
Here is the tieback wire connected to the drop target reset solenoid. Circled (actually ovaled if that's a word) in red.
[quoted image]
And here is where that wire as well as the YEL-WHT and ORG-WHT wires that are visibly attached to the drop target reset solenoid and the drop target down solenoid connect into the 8-driver board.
[quoted image]
It all looks factory to me (i.e. nobody has messed with the wiring).

Thanks! This helps. I'm gonna get another wire and do the backbox connection and leave these alone as it just seems like a better step .

What Gauge Wire should i be purchasing to work correctly? Thanks.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

What Gauge Wire should i be purchasing to work correctly? Thanks.

The original tieback wire looks to be 22 AWG. The power supply wire looks to be 18 AWG.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 15.00
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-tieback?hl=luckycreature and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.