Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Got a line on a sttng. Pics are 7 years old from when the seller bought it. I am waiting for new pics to be sent to me.

The bad:
7 years without a battery change. I expect acid damage, but who knows they may not have leaked. Worst case scenario I need a new cpu board.
Top line out on the dmd. Seller bought it this way. could be a sign of outgassing or it could just be a broken pin.
7 years without any repairs. It went through a full tear down right before he bought it. It has been stored in a basement and doesn't get played much. It could have some major issues and that rubber is getting to be old. Probably looking at a full tear down and sttng is a pita.
Coin door was repainted in a matte black. They did a good job, but it doesn't look original.
Neutral zone was repaired and a protector was installed (not a cliffy, the one that goes on the inside of the scoop). They pained the area black. It was done cleanly, but isn't stock. It could be covered with a cliffy but I probably wouldn't bother.

The Good:
Ramps have no cracks or breaks and have ramp protectors. Original pics show this, but I still want to see updated to make sure.
Left cannon wire loom was replaced when the job was done.
The pictures he sent show that the playfield was in very nice shape when he bought it. If it has light plays it should clean up very well.

Waiting on updated pics, but wondering what a fair price to pay is? Seller is wanting 3k. If it looks like it did when he bought it and didn't have any major issues I would do it in a heartbeat. I have the money for it, but at the same time sttng can have a lot of issues.

#2 12 years ago
Quoted from dung:

but at the same time sttng can have a lot of issues.

7 years is a long time and depending on how and where it was stored Hot,cold,climate.The CPU is mostly likely to have battery acid on it,Driver board,opto board etc.can also be affected.If playfield is very good condition and no broken plastics I would offer around 2500.Boards are not cheap and the time you will be spending on it making repairs.STTNG is bound to always have problems.

#3 12 years ago

Check the borg lock switches too.. I'm having an issue with switch 31-32

#4 12 years ago

Make sure the drop target is working.

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

I would offer around 2500

I agree based on the description given. New DMD $130 new CPU board is what $300-$400? Puts you under 3k, sounds about right given the work you have ahead of you.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

dung said:
but at the same time sttng can have a lot of issues.

7 years is a long time and depending on how and where it was stored Hot,cold,climate.The CPU is mostly likely to have battery acid on it,Driver board,opto board etc.can also be affected.If playfield is very good condition and no broken plastics I would offer around 2500.Boards are not cheap and the time you will be spending on it making repairs.STTNG is bound to always have problems.

Not sure how flexible the seller will be. He has already said he doesn't have to sell it, he just wants to replace it with a super chex which cost very close to what he is asking. The neutral zone repaint means the game isn't CQ and I would prefer to now have to shop it out (just about to start on FGY), but who knows.

Keep the posts coming though guys. I always could use more people with hands one experience with this title.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Not sure how flexible the seller will be. He has already said he doesn't have to sell it, he just wants to replace it with a super chex which cost very close to what he is asking. The neutral zone repaint means the game isn't CQ and I would prefer to now have to shop it out (just about to start on FGY), but who knows.

Keep the posts coming though guys. I always could use more people with hands one experience with this title.

Honestly if this seller stored the game with the batteries left on the CPU then that means "to me"
that he doesn't really care about it.It's worth checking out but a Hawkeye inspection would have to be made.

#8 12 years ago

Bring something long, narrow and plastic to test the optos (I use a zip tie), this thing has a ton of them. Also test the cannons. The prices on these are going up recently, auction results below since Nov 11. Just to give you some perspective of what they are going for these days and what room you have to negotiate.

#10 12 years ago

A game that has sat around for 7 years would not be a good idea to boot it up without going through the testing procedures with a meter.But as a Buyer sometimes you have no choice but to power it up in front of the seller and if something is not working or pops when you boot it up it could work in your favor,You start bring the price down.

#11 12 years ago

barring any additional issues, and your assumption of its current condition is correct, it's almost certainly worth $3k(+?) - I'd come in with an offer of 2750 though. The unbroken ramps are a big plus in my book. Also I just pulled the original batteries out of an EATPM and there was no board damage - so I think there's a solid chance your board will be ok.

#12 12 years ago

A new CPU on this title is $175--but you can most likely have your original repaired for about half that amount.

Double-check that the amateur PF repair can be completely cover by a Cliffy, that's going to always limit this game's resale potential if it can't.

Optos can be a problem on this one of course; check the cannons, lock all the balls, and engage multiball to check if they're all right.

Until you have pics and know what's not working, I'm going to say between $2500 - $2800 depending upon what you discover.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

A game that has sat around for 7 years would not be a good idea to boot it up without going through the testing procedures with a meter.But as a Buyer sometimes you have no choice but to power it up in front of the seller and if something is not working or pops when you boot it up it could work in your favor,You start bring the price down.

I know how that works, but at the same time this is going to cost me a good 100+ in gas to go see it.

Seller is a homeowner. Bought the machine 7 years ago from someone (collector? Retailer?) and has kept it in their basement. He has kids so I imagine it has gotten some play, but says it is not played much.

My problem is I don't want to spend a day and a chunk of change to drive out and find major issues. If the game worked with a few problems I will be honest and say I would probably pay his asking price as long as the pf, cab, ramps, etc are as good as they were when he bought it. On the other hand if I get there and find acid damage, major issues, etc I don't want to go home empty handed if he is truly firm on his price.

It may truely have sat unplayed because they just didn't like it that much. I got a t2 that aside from a few hacks when they bought it, worked fine. The owners just got bored with it after a few months and it sat for years. Usually though the game sits when it has issues that ruin the game and sttng has so much that can go wrong. Worse still is the potential for reset issues which could be a pita to track down.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from dung:

know how that works, but at the same time this is going to cost me a good 100+ in gas to go see it.

Seller is a homeowner. Bought the machine 7 years ago from someone (collector? Retailer?) and has kept it in their basement. He has kids so I imagine it has gotten some play, but says it is not played much.

My problem is I don't want to spend a day and a chunk of change to drive out and find major issues. If the game worked with a few problems I will be honest and say I would probably pay his asking price as long as the pf, cab, ramps, etc are as good as they were when he bought it. On the other hand if I get there and find acid damage, major issues, etc I don't want to go home empty handed if he is truly firm on his price.

It may truely have sat unplayed because they just didn't like it that much. I got a t2 that aside from a few hacks when they bought it, worked fine. The owners just got bored with it after a few months and it sat for years. Usually though the game sits when it has issues that ruin the game and sttng has so much that can go wrong. Worse still is the potential for reset issues which could be a pita to track down.

I hear ya,If the seller put his foot down and won't budge off 3k then it's going to be a pretty tough decision if you get there and there's major problems with the game.It really depends on how bad you want it and Yes STTNG is a very good game but does have it's issues.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Seller is a homeowner. Bought the machine 7 years ago from someone (collector? Retailer?) and has kept it in their basement ...

In my experience, buying pins from non-pinball people can be either a blessing or a curse. You can stumble upon great deals this way, but more often than not, it's just a pain in the ass. The last few pins that I went to look at were sorely neglected, and the sellers wanted way too much for them because of what they were going for on eBay. It also didn't help that I was the first potential buyer to show up. This is a case where getting there first actually works to your disadvantage. Sometimes, it takes several people telling them that their machine is overpriced before they start to believe it.

#16 12 years ago

Well I am gonna wait for pictures. If the batteries haven't leaked I may just go look at it. Otherwise I will tell him my concerns and point him here. If he remains firm I might just pass.

#17 12 years ago

If you really want the game then get it for what they're asking. I'd also try to offer less. It I think it's also worth the $3k as it stands so I wouldn't make price be a deal breaker. Personally, I think sitting for 7 years is better than being routed for 7 years and poorly maintained. I doubt you need another full tear down. But you're right about swapping all the rubbers. You can open the back board and see if there is battery damage without turning it on. But yea even if you paid $3k and bought a new toobits CPU board, you did ok.

#18 12 years ago

Well I am all set to go up on sunday. I will even be dropping off nascar so part of my gas is paid for, may or may not go to patz because of this.

Seller discovered that the alpha ramp is broken at the base, beta has a hairline crack so he dropped it 200. After I asked him to play it to make sure it is working he found that it is unplayable. Press start and it just continual spits out balls so it has trough issues. Not really worried about that, but I did want to know if the cannons worked or if it reset.

Here are the new pics he took for me.

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb284/yenningcomity/

#19 12 years ago

So you might be getting even more cash off? Could be a deal/fixer upper.

#20 12 years ago

I got mine in January for 2.5 for one in similar condition (not maintained in about 5 years) I spent another $300 on parts and about 40 hours on scrubbing, protectors, lane guides, fixing optos, cannon wires, line out on DMD, coin door, busted widebody lockbar, new glass etc.

All the mechanical and electronic issues people mention here can be fixed and are well documented. Do have a good look at the play field and cabinet (those can't be fixed as easily or quickly).

I'd offer 2.5 for the one you're looking at.

#21 12 years ago

Based on condition from pics only - offer $ 2500.00 or less.

I have a fully restored one and they can be PITA to work on when something fails, but worth it - Great game !

Check the inserts around the ship (shields), also check the drop target (Borg lock)

Keep us posted.

#22 12 years ago

I came really close to handing over $2500 for one last weekend. Until I lifted the playfield and saw that everything metal was rusted. Nightmare. Sounds silly but be sure to inspect underneath before leaving with it.

#23 12 years ago

Looks like the right side is faded - the orange has turned pink. Also, the sides of the cab (towards the front) have bolts that I haven't seen on others.

Playfield looks good. Maybe wear to the insert closest to the alpha ramp?

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Playfield looks good. Maybe wear to the insert closest to the alpha ramp?

I am guessing it is a dirt clod, it doesn't look like any kind of wear I have ever seen.

#25 12 years ago

Well as an update that insert was in fact covered by a dirt clod.

Game has reset issues, happened on two games. trough has issues. I talked him down to 2400, but that is a take it or leave it price. Hopefully the reset will be a br or cap, but we shall see. Unless something is really wrong I see no reason not to get it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 64.99
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 63.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-things-to-check-prices and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.