Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by kevmad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 months ago

So this year I bought my first pinball machine. Since I'm a huge Trek nerd and loved playing it in the arcade, I went ahead and bought what I now understand to be one of the most complicated pins in the Alpha quadrant. It played great for a month and then the drop target was sticking down. No problem, I put a dab of oil on the plunger thingamaboob and it started sliding again. Later, smoke started coming from the Borg ship. Actually it looked pretty awesome. I shut the machine down as fast as I could, took off the Borg ship, and noticed that the Borg kicker solenoid was so hot that it was starting to melt the wires running over it. A quick inspection revealed that the red coil wires were actually touching each other creating a short. So, I took that thing out and ordered a replacement which I put in today. Turns out whoever replaced it last used the wrong part. He/She had a 25-1000 coil in the machine where a 25-800 is called for. I'm not sure that really matters. What does matter is that after replacing the coil, the kicker tests don't fire the kicker, and the kicker that pushes the balls from the return into the plunger area also doesn't seem to be functioning any longer. Have I blown a board? Could it be just a fuse? I don't know where to start looking. Can anyone offer some advice?

#2 9 months ago

That coil will work, just a little weaker.

You may have blown up some stuff. AND DON'T OIL THINGS, clean, fix, repair, etc.

You can pull fuses and check with a meter to see if they are good or not. And any damaged transistors might lock on coils and burn them up too if you don't turn game off immediately.

And there are three wires to one lug on the drop target up coil. Purple with a green stripe ( the thin one is more lavender with a green stripe ) if that thin one breaks off, it is your diode tie back wire, you blow up all kinds of neat stuff on the small board upper right area of your back box. Broken or not, I would unsolder the three wires from the coil, solder them to a single wire and cover joint with heat shrink tubing or something, and the single end of the wire you soldered them to, solder that to the coil lug. That way if the single wire breaks off, the coil doesn't work insetad of blowing stuff up and locking on a diverter coil.

LTG : )

#3 9 months ago
Quoted from Forsaken:

So this year I bought my first pinball machine. Since I'm a huge Trek nerd and loved playing it in the arcade, I went ahead and bought what I now understand to be one of the most complicated pins in the Alpha quadrant. It played great for a month and then the drop target was sticking down. No problem, I put a dab of oil on the plunger thingamaboob and it started sliding again. Later, smoke started coming from the Borg ship. Actually it looked pretty awesome. I shut the machine down as fast as I could, took off the Borg ship, and noticed that the Borg kicker solenoid was so hot that it was starting to melt the wires running over it. A quick inspection revealed that the red coil wires were actually touching each other creating a short. So, I took that thing out and ordered a replacement which I put in today. Turns out whoever replaced it last used the wrong part. He/She had a 25-1000 coil in the machine where a 25-800 is called for. I'm not sure that really matters. What does matter is that after replacing the coil, the kicker tests don't fire the kicker, and the kicker that pushes the balls from the return into the plunger area also doesn't seem to be functioning any longer. Have I blown a board? Could it be just a fuse? I don't know where to start looking. Can anyone offer some advice?

Grab your manual, and test the associated driver/predriver transistors. One of them is most likely blown.

#4 9 months ago

The transistor that drives the coil in the Borg ship is almost certainly toast.
The front of the manual has the “Q” number of the transistor. I bet it’s nice and toasty.

It’s time to own a digital multimeter and learn how to test parts.
Or, you can send the board to me for repair. I can bulletproof it for you. Send the MPU too for NVRAM installation and get rid of batteries forever.

LMK if I can help. My feedback is easy to find here on PinSide

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#5 9 months ago

BTW....yes, as LTG noted, no oil.
And, protect your Borg ship by replacing the incandescent flashers inside it with LED flashers. Borg ships melt easily.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#6 9 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

AND DON'T OIL THINGS,

Except the diverter. Those need grease.

#7 9 months ago

Where are you located? You might ask on pinside if someone local can help you with this.

First, don't use grease anywhere.

Sounds like two separate problems:

- the Borg ship coil: first make sure there is voltage on the coil lugs. Then you might try replacing the associated transistor and pre-driver transistor.
- for the ball trough solenoid, hopefully it is just that a wire broke off a lug. did you look for that?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Great American Pinball
$ 96.77
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball-Mods.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 26.50
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 28.00
Machine - For Sale
Tallahassee, FL
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lawrence, KS
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Machine - For Sale
Elmhurst, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside