(Topic ID: 258831)

SOLVED. STTNG switch matrix issue advice?

By Jenk540i

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Jenk540i
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Game started losing the pinballs. After doing as much as I know to do I have determined that I have a column of opto switches (#31-38) issue. Switch #31 registers but not the other 7 switches.

My skills are limited but I’m willing to try more diagnostics. Next step(s)?

#2 4 years ago

Check for a broken wire or diode at every switch on that column. Make sure to give each diode leg and wire a light tug to make sure they're firmly connected. The fact you're getting at least 1 switch to register tells me the driver board is likely ok.

#3 4 years ago

Ok. I’ll try that. Assume there are no diodes since they are all opto switches?

#4 4 years ago

Oh shoot i didn't realize they're optos. There's usually a board or boards for the optos--it's possible you may have a bad solder joint or broken wire at the board(s)... I'm sure someone more versed in wpc games will chime in.

But yeah, I'd still track down each switch and make sure the wiring is firmly attached etc.

#5 4 years ago

First rule out the MPU as being the problem. Here is a good guide about troubleshooting the switch matrix for WPC machines - http://homepinballrepair.com/index.php/digital-probe-part-2/

I had an issue recently on my STTNG which turned out to be a cold solder joint on one of the wires on the row I was having issues with.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Jenk540i:

Game started losing the pinballs. After doing as much as I know to do I have determined that I have a column of opto switches (#31-38) issue. Switch #31 registers but not the other 7 switches.

My skills are limited but I’m willing to try more diagnostics. Next step(s)?

This is either going to be a broken wire or a failing 16-Opto board, obviously checking for a broken wire is going to be easier than troubleshooting the board, so lets start there:

Each switch contains a pair of optos, one LED board (transmitter) and one Photo Transistor board (receiver). All of these optical switch board pairs are part of a larger assembly (Borg ship, VUK, Gun, etc...), these assemblies all contain Molex type connectors as they were designed to be dropped in connected to the main wiring harness with no soldering. This is important because any single wire that would effect large portions of the column would have to be broken at the molex connector on the wiring harness where they daisy chain to the next connector; there are two daisy chained wires that can do this, these are the Ground (BLACK) wire to the Photo transistors and the +12V (GRY-YEL) wire to the LED assemblies.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

On the 16 Opto PCB assembly, do a visual inspection of C6 to look for bulging or leakage, this can also appear as a darkening of the PCB around the capacitor; failure of this capacitor can cause many opto issues and is something that should be replaced if its still the original.

Good Luck.

#7 4 years ago

That will be hugely helpful. I’ll try to start analyzing this weekend. Thank you for taking the time to send this.

#8 4 years ago

C6 visually looks fine.

So I tested continuity between the pin for the daisy chained ground at one switches Molex to another switches Molex pin (on the same switch matrix column) and there is continuity.

But when I test continuity between the daisy chained 12v LED wire I don’t get continuity between the same 2 Molex plugs (2 different switches). Is that my issue or am I over simplifying it?

The wires going into the plugs are all intact appearing and seem to be snug in the plugs.

2 months later
#9 4 years ago

To close the case:

Pin_Guy was correct. I finally got around to trying to trouble shoot again a few weeks ago and when I looked closer C6 on the opto board did not look well. Pulled the board and it was actually bubbling on to the board.

Changed C6 and cleaned up the board, that got one more switch working but I finally sent the board to Chris Hibler for a rebuild. Turns out there was still chemical under a few resistors.

Game is back in service!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 63.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-switch-matrix-issue-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.