Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Lermods
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_0753r.jpg
DSC_0752r.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hey there,

Having an issue with one of my ST:TNG flippers, the lower right sticks up during play. Sometimes. I figured it's mechanical but with power off it is nice and free, no issues that I can see. In test mode it all seems to be fine, i.e. I can't bring the problem on. The only thing I haven't tried is waiting for the machine to warm up before running the tests, which may demonstrate the problem better. The buttons themselves are quite free and don't stick.

In the meantime I have a couple of questions:

In the "hold" test, both lower flippers sort of wiggle a bit but that's it. The upper right moves out to fully open (not instantly like you've hit the flipper button, but maybe two seconds). The lower right barely moves at all. So I'm guessing the lower coils need replacing? I'm thinking of getting some rebuild kits to do the lot.

The plastic opto interruptors or whatever they're called that actuate with the flipper buttons - the left one has a copper thing over it that acts like a return spring, while the right one doesn't. Should it?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete

#2 4 years ago

When the flipper is stuck up, turn the machine off.

Sounds like you've tested the movement with the power off, but turning the game off while the flipper is stuck will tell you definitively if the problem is mechanical or electrical.

#3 4 years ago

Jalpert forgot to mention that if the flipper drops after turning the machine off it is electrical and if it doesn't it is mechanical.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from filthyPierre:

The plastic opto interruptors or whatever they're called that actuate with the flipper buttons - the left one has a copper thing over it that acts like a return spring, while the right one doesn't. Should it?

Anyway I could get a picture of what you are talking about? I am confused on where you are talking and was trying to check to see exactly how it was suppose to be for you.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

Anyway I could get a picture of what you are talking about? I am confused on where you are talking and was trying to check to see exactly how it was suppose to be for you.

Sure, here's one of the left hand flipper:

DSC_0752r.JPG

And one of the right:

DSC_0753r.JPG

Actually, after a better look at it, it looks like it's rusty steel, not copper. But there isn't one on the right. It doesn't make a lot of difference to the flipper's feel - the left button doesn't appear to return quicker than the right.

Thanks for the advice, will try turning it off next time it sticks.

Cheers,

Pete

#6 4 years ago

Swap the flipper boards and see if the problem switches to the other side, swap the interruptors too.

Use a sharpie or black tape and use it to cover the white interrupter where it crosses the opts. I had an issue like this on scared stiff and this is the advice I got from pinside and it worked.

#7 4 years ago

That is a spring that is there to push the opto interrupter back in when you release the flipper button, you don't have one on the right side. When you press and release the button does the interrupter (black plastic piece) move back into place quickly?

Here is the replacement spring from Bay Area, others probably sell them too: http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MC-01-14348

#8 4 years ago

Thanks for the tips - I will order some new springs and swap the boards over.

One other question though - which is the original part, the black or the white one?

@bobukcat - the right one doesn't seem to be any different in feel than the left one and seems to return at the same speed. The left-hand spring is pretty soft so maybe I need two new ones.

Cheers,

Pete

#9 4 years ago

What is pulling the right one back to it's starting point after the flipper button has been released on the right one?

#10 4 years ago

The white interrupter is original but the black ones are better. The flipper buttons have a spring built into them that has nothing to do with what they push on. Consider the older systems that are just leaf switches on the inside of the cab, a leaf switch doesn't have enough spring tension to push the button back out so the buttons themselves have to have a return spring in them. Order a new spring for that side (or replace both if you want) and either a black interrupter or take a sharpie to the white one.

#11 4 years ago

@pauly - nothing. The buttons are the sprung type, there is a spring in the button that returns it to the fully out position. The black interruptor just goes back on its own... so now that I've realised the interruptor should have a spring it's possible that the lack of spring could be causing the "sticking" problem, if the interruptor doesn't return as quickly as it should. It will be the first thing I order tonight.

@bobukcat - thanks, I've found some black ones at Marco Spec, will order them tonight along with some new springs.

Thanks for the help, will update when I've gotten the parts.

Cheers,

Pete

#12 4 years ago

@pauly - nothing. The buttons are the sprung type, there is a spring in the button that returns it to the fully out position. The black interruptor just goes back on its own... so now that I've realised the interruptor should have a spring it's possible that the lack of spring could be causing the "sticking" problem, if the interruptor doesn't return as quickly as it should. It will be the first thing I order tonight.
@bobukcat - thanks, I've found some black ones at Marco Spec, will order them tonight along with some new springs.
Cheers,
Pete

Cool just checking..

#13 4 years ago

Cheers,
Pete

The suggested test of turning off the game while the flipper is stuck in the up position will help verify that this is your problem but I'd suggest putting a spring on that side regardless. Also, don't forget to clean those optos while you are at it!

#14 4 years ago

Cheers,
Pete

You dont need to buy a new black imterruptor. Just spray paint the white one black. Save you a few dollars.

#15 4 years ago

A little bit of sharpie works just as well and is less messy.

Quoted from Lermods:

Just spray paint the white one black.

#16 4 years ago

Actually, sharpie is what I did on my scared stiff, spray painting takes 30secs and it looks cleaner, if you care about a part that is never seen.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside