Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jig4.jpg
jig3.jpg
jig2.jpg
jig.jpg
#1 12 years ago

I have read some of the comments on Pinballpro and Flipper Fidelity, and it seems that the general consensus is PP. At $130+, or so, is there a less expensive alternative that I should opt for?

If PP is really the way to go, then what is reasonable for a used setup, as there is a guy locally that is selling?

#2 12 years ago

You can get a Sony sub on Amazon for $73 and it sounds much better. I have one on my STTNG and I love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SA-W2500-Performance-Line-Subwoofer/dp/B000OL3QTW

There are a few threads on here about adding a sub vs a speaker kit.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-who-has-done-the-sony-w2500-sub-inside#post-153770

#3 12 years ago

Flipper Fidelity rocks. Mike P is a great seller and a great guy!

#4 12 years ago

Listen to meph and read the powered subwoofer threads.

#5 12 years ago

If you want a nice replacement set of speakers I will vouch for ff!

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from maf-mi:

Listen to meph and read the powered subwoofer threads.

Do any of you Sony subwoofer fans address the backbox speakers?

#7 12 years ago

I have installed both FF and PPro in STTNG.
If your doing a full kit FF is the way to go only due to the volume control.
Both sound great and will amaze you.

If I were doing it all over again I would buy sub only.

#8 12 years ago

IMO the problem with the backbox speakers in WPC games is that awful 3" speaker. You can clearly tell the difference between the two speakers while playing, and not in a stereophonic way, more like a holy smokes that right speaker is garbage way.

#9 12 years ago

I roll my own setup.

Enlarge the right speaker hole and put matching 5-1/4 speakers on both sides
A nice 6.5 inch woofer in the lower cabinet
L-pad to balance it out in the lower cab or backbox.

Materials cost ends up being around $85/game the last time I calculated it out.

Just put a set in a Congo, sounds AWESOME. DCS shines when you replace the factory speakers.

#10 12 years ago

Speaker replacement guide:

http://dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html

Here's the woofer I use, $26.31:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-308

And the backbox panel speakers I use, $22.88/pair:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=267-090

And the l-pad I like, $10.25:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-252

With this faceplate, $2.48
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-270

Spend $100, Parts Express ships free! I buy enough to do 2 games at a time. They ship out of Ohio, so even their 'super economy' shipping gets here in 2 days.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Enlarge the right speaker hole and put matching 5-1/4 speakers on both sides ...

What do you use to enlarge the hole?

#12 12 years ago

I played with different ideas for weeks reading all these posts. I ended up going with Flipper Fidelity, the difference is amazing for this game. This along with the shaker are necessary mods for STTNG. It was super easy and sounds great.

#13 12 years ago

I have pinball pro in my STTNG (were there when I bought it), sounds good when you crank up the volume. But they did not seem to help much in my Roadshow.

I was WAY more impressed with the Flipper Sound speakers I put in Shadow, too bad they are no longer $85, but I still recommend Flipper Sound

Bob C

#14 12 years ago

I have PPro in my STTNG. It's freakin' amazing. I actually have to line the playfield glass edges with electrical tape to keep it from shaking and buzzing. This is one game that really benefits from a nice subwoofer. Sounds great.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I have installed both FF and PPro in STTNG.
If your doing a full kit FF is the way to go only due to the volume control.
Both sound great and will amaze you.
If I were doing it all over again I would buy sub only.

Pinball pros have vol controls also. I think it's silly trying to jerry-rig an external sub into your $3500 pinball machine to save $25. The built in subs really shake hard. Also added the pinbits shaker kit to mine.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

have PPro in my STTNG. It's freakin' amazing. I actually have to line the playfield glass edges with electrical tape to keep it from shaking and buzzing

I have pinball pro too and when I crank it up my glass buzzes too.I should try the tape!

#17 12 years ago

Moved to the Buying and Selling Sub Forum. Pinside Talk is for issues with the forum itself.

#18 12 years ago

I had FF speakers in my STTNG and the difference was well worth the $140 ish.. you can't go wrong with either really, but my experience with Mike at FF will have me coming back for more.

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Just put a set in a Congo, sounds AWESOME. DCS shines when you replace the factory speakers.

I have to agree with you there my Congo has upgraded speakers and it sounds right as rain. Some great information you posted thanks for the links John!

#20 12 years ago

johnwartjr said:Enlarge the right speaker hole and put matching 5-1/4 speakers on both sides ...
What do you use to enlarge the hole?

I made a jig.

OK, well, I called up my Dad, who has his own woodworking shop in his basement, and said, I need a jig made Took him an old speaker panel and a circle cutter, and he whipped one up out of scrap wood he had laying around his shop. Slide the panel in, lock it down, and voila!

My drill press can barely drive the circle cutter. My drill press is a hand-me-down that I was given by Dad about 10 years ago when he upgraded. His does a much nicer job, but mine will do it as long as you aren't in a hurry. Some day, I'll see a nice shiny new one at a home improvement store and have to have it, or mine will die and I'll replace it out of necessity, but for now, my cheapie old one will work til it dies

They make a special kind of drill bit that I used to drill the 'recessed' holes for the t-nuts, a Forstner bit.

jig.jpgjig.jpg jig2.jpgjig2.jpg jig3.jpgjig3.jpg jig4.jpgjig4.jpg

#21 12 years ago

I went with just the PP sub in mine and really added to the game. Debated adding the speakers but, I'm not sure if it'll give it that much more punch for the buck. The shaker is an absolute must for STTNG. Makes fighting the Borg pretty dang exciting.

I have the FF kit in my TZ and though it’s nice and adds richness to the sound quality, however I can’t turn it up very much due to it adding unwanted rattling from machine vibrations and the wife bitching up a complete storm over the noise.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 64.99
$ 63.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-speaker-upgrade-sub-bb-advice-wanted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.