• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Manny65
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello,
Sometimes the sound level suddenly changes. For example, the sound level is adjust on 2 and during a game the level goes to around 15, and when I open the door to adjust the level it starts from level 2.
I don't where to search, i assume there is something on the sound board which control the volume but i don't where.
Thanks for your help

#2 3 years ago

First check the CPU for battery damage.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

I assume the battery is ok : scores and all adjusment are keep. And the CPU board is a pinled CPU board.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from mkael:

I assume the battery is ok : scores and all adjusment are keep. And the CPU board is a pinled CPU board.

LTG was referring to acid damage on the CPU board, often it'll look like green corrosion

To me it sounds more like a sound board issue - https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Volume_Suddenly_at_Maximum
The blue Philips 47µF 35v axial electrolytic capacitors on these sound boards are prone to failure and replacing all of the 47uf caps will probably improve sound quality.

#5 3 years ago

I understood for the acid, but i think this is not possible with the type of battery used on the pinled cpu board.
The blue capacitors are on the pre-DCS sound board, my is a DCS, do you think the are this kind of capacitors on the DCS board too ? and where ?
Thanks for your help

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from mkael:

I understood for the acid, but i think this is not possible with the type of battery used on the pinled cpu board.
The blue capacitors are on the pre-DCS sound board, my is a DCS, do you think the are this kind of capacitors on the DCS board too ? and where ?
Thanks for your help

Yes you're quite right - I knew STTNG and IJ both came out in 93 but had it in my mind that STTNG came before IJ (the first with DCS).

DCS boards don't seem to have this type of issue, so not quite sure where to look next ....

Do you happen to have a spare DCS sound board or have a local friend with a DCS machine? Swapping the sound board would confirm that the issue is on the board

#7 3 years ago

Unfortunatly not.
The issue rarely occurs, so I belive I will have to live with it until the problem becomes too serious ...

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from mkael:

Thanks for your help

I'm not at all familiar with that brand of mpu board, could it be something prone to happen with that board? Do you know anyone else with that mpu in a pre-DCS WPC machine? Might be worth a different thread asking about sound issues with that board rather than specific to STTNG.

#9 3 years ago

When I bougth it (a month ago), the card was already in it. And of course the seller did not tell me about sound problem.
I can ask the manufacturer.

#10 3 years ago

I tried to clean the ribbon cable contacts between cpu fliptronix and sound board after I could not adjust the sound with button (- or +) sound.
I did it again (clean contact) and it works again, so I suspect a connection issue between CPU and sound board ...

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from mkael:

I tried to clean the ruban contact between cpu fliptronix and sound board after I could not adjust the sound with button (- or +) sound.
I did it again (clean contact) and it works again, so I suspect a connection issue between CPU and sound board ...

The ribbon cables can cause issues and often need to be replaced (not that I've seen it cause this type of sound issue, so good to know) - maybe worth getting a replacement set. Thanks for updating

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-sound-level-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.