(Topic ID: 251000)

Solved:STTNG sound board interface error on 2 different boards??

By Loganpinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by thegarse
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

My Star Trek next generation pinball has no sound with two different sound boards. Both boot to sound board interface error. I bought and installed new sound board and cpu roms in known working board. Both boards do the same thing. The ribbon cables I swapped out with a know working game and the sound works fine in Indy with that cable. I checked power and grounds to the sound card and they are fine. I do not know what else to check or try? If I put a pinsound board into it the game has sound and plays fine. Any suggestions would be great. I am two steps away from just buying another pinsound board, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions first???

#2 4 years ago

Check the header pins the ribbon cable connects to? That's about the only thing left.

#3 4 years ago

Did you try putting the new board in your Indiana Jones with the Indiana Jones chips in them to verify that the sound boards are good? This is a double check to verify the sound boards are good. The cpu rom chips will not have effect on the sound board error. Replacing the sound rom chips usually, but not always, fixes this problem.

#4 4 years ago

I swapped sound board with my indiana jones machine, transferred the roms over and the sound board works fine in indy and I know the indy board works and that is now in sttng and it does same sound board interface error. I bought a rom set and it came with all but u8. I talked to supplier and he said to use my u8 rom. I really think its a rom issue. I am going to try and get a new u8 rom to eliminate that as cause. I swapped the cables for the 2 machines as well. Thanks for any ideas. Its driving me nuts!

#5 4 years ago

No need to swap the sound ROMs when you swap sound boards between games. It will not hurt anything, but obviously it will give you wrong sounds and speech. Moving the sound ROMs with the original sound board over to Indy will help to prove the sound ROMs and the sound board are good. You can even move over the Indy sound board with Indy sound ROMs into STTNG to see how it does.

Try reseating or swapping this ribbon cable. Different sound board in picture, but that does not matter as it is for just reference only.
2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png

#6 4 years ago

did you order the silly roms? that is the only reason you would not have been supplied with a u8 .

#7 4 years ago

I ordered original roms and it turns out he sent me silly ones. He is sending me the complete original roms today and I believe that the problem is in the roms. I swapped everything between the two boards and error message follows roms. If new roms dont fix it I am just going pinsound as its not worth any more effort.

#8 4 years ago

Don't you have an original STTNG sound ROM set that was in the game?

#9 4 years ago

The original sound board roms developed green powder in sockets and rom pins. Sound would cut in and out during game play. Looked like acid damage guessing something let go on board and it was not cleaned up by previous owner. I have had a pinsound in it for a few years, but I moved pinsound into a game I just sold. Figured I would try and fix original issue or worse case just buy another pinsound.

#10 4 years ago

I did clean the rom pins, but I think when it was cutting out one or more got damaged as it made funky sounds and then quit all together. The board was severely damaged and The lower corner was in very bad shape. I cleaned it up put new sockets in board, but it has same interface error. It might work with new roms. I will post end results as I get there.

#11 4 years ago

A new set of roms fixed the issue. It seems the first set I bought are no good as the replacements work fine.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Loganpinball:

A new set of roms fixed the issue. It seems the first set I bought are no good as the replacements work fine.

When it wasn’t working at all were you getting the startup “bong” sound at least?

I am having a similar error with my sound board. I’ve reseated and even replaced the ribbon cables and verified AC/DC voltages to the board. I don’t even get the bong sound.

I have another board en route to my house in addition to a pinsound+ (we’ll see which gets here first).

#13 4 years ago

Both boards had interface error and both did not make start up bong sound.

#14 4 years ago

I was also not getting the bong sound. Got another DCS board from eBay and swapped my roms into it. Everything is working again.

In my case it wasn’t the roms.

2 years later
#15 2 years ago

Fixed TZ: Updating thread if it helps anyone.

I got this error on my Twilight Zone, tried new ribbon cables, tried new sound ROMs, updated game code, downgraded game code, put in a different audio board (which worked) so the problem resided somewhere on my board. I checked the ESR (equivalent series resistance) on all caps and the axial ones returned a very high ohm rating. Replaced those which were out of spec and the error went away.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-sound-board-interface-error-on-2-different-boards?hl=dashv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.