Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2016-04-14-22-54-43_(resized).png
#1 8 years ago

I have had my STTNG taken apart for the last few weeks so I could give it a full shop job and have the cabinet parts powder coated (coin door, legs, etc.).

Yesterday, I booted it up with the DMD hooked up for the first time since the process began. I'm getting a "slam tilt switch is stuck closed" error on the display and I can't do anything with the menu. All of the coin door hardware is sitting on the bottom of the cabinet still (no coin door yet). Both slam tilt switches are physically open. What should I look for?

Here's a little extra info in case any of it matters:

* I installed Herg's LED OCD and GI OCD boards. While running the wires for the GI OCD board, I disconnected J205, J206, J207, and J212 to run wires. The game was off when I did this and I'm fairly certain they are all back where they belong.
* The GI OCD board comes with a new ribbon cable that runs from the PCB board to the CPU board (then onto the GI OCD board). I'm certain all three connections along that ribbon cable are secure and properly seated.
* The assembly with the 4 coin door switches has a ground cable that is currently not connected to anything. I connected it to another ground lug once I saw the error and rebooted, but the issue remains. I'm not sure if that would factor into it at all, or if it needs to be connected to its own ground lug on the coin door?

Any help will be appreciated!

#2 8 years ago

Go into the switch test and see if there are any reported ground row shorts, you may be dealing with a switch matrix issue.

#3 8 years ago

I can't get into the menu. No matter how much I angrily mash the coin door buttons, I can't get past the slam tilt error message

#4 8 years ago

Any corrosion on the CPU?

#5 8 years ago

Could it be diode D1 in this schematic?

Screenshot_2016-04-14-22-54-43_(resized).pngScreenshot_2016-04-14-22-54-43_(resized).png

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Any corrosion on the CPU

There is some that had been mitigated and cleaned by the original owner. The game was working fine before I stripped it for cleaning.

#7 8 years ago

Post a picture of the MPU. So now it sounds like the MPU needs much more work than just cleaning. Any parts affected by acid damage will need to be replaced. Picture of the back of the board would be nice as well so we can see how bad the acid damage migrated.

#8 8 years ago

You should start considering a replacement MPU.

There are original MPU's that pop up on Ebay as well as a Rottendog, but you'll have to swap some parts over to it. Also twobits has a full replacement, with all parts including the game ROM ready to go. http://www.twobits.com/WPC/

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from mskoenen:

I disconnected J205, J206, J207, and J212 to run wires.

Also, if you connected these back, sure that you're not one pin off on one of the connectors?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Also, if you connected these back, sure that you're not one pin off on one of the connectors?

I've done this. There's one connector without a key and I missed it by one. It blew a fuse. Took me a while to figure it out.

I know it's obvious but you could also disconnect the slam tilt connector on the coin door interface board if you haven't already done that.

Another thing you can do is disconnect all the connectors on the CPU board and then directly ground the appropriate pins on J205. It looks like you want to momentarily connect J205-9 to J205-10 to simulate a press on the "Enter" button. Please double check the manual for the wire colors and pin numbers first.

#11 8 years ago

I am fairly certain they're all seated properly, I checked them again after I saw the error. But I'll definitely make sure when I get back to it later today. After I check that, I'll remove the board and show the battery damage front and back.

Any other ideas on what could be going wrong, in case it ends up not being the MPU board?

#12 8 years ago

You were 100% correct. J207 was off by one pin. Looks like when the board was repaired, the tech just snapped a connector to the right size. So it looked like it was seated properly, but wasn't. Still doesn't excuse me for missing it in the first place, but I gotta blame someone!

Thanks everyone!

#13 8 years ago

Still by the description of the MPU being cleaned, does not guarantee you will not have some other intermittent issues happening in the near future if the damaged parts are not replaced and the affected traces sanded down and neutralized.

Would you mind posting a picture of the MPU?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-slam-tilt-is-stuck-closed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.