View topic image gallery

image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Played my STTNG for the first time in a long time. I did a full PF teardown and guess I didn't put the shooter ramp on right. I cant tell whats wrong. The ball doesn't go all the way up to the hole at the very top, comes back down the center and just keeps shooting over and over again. Is there an exact certain way this thing has to be put on? Thanks in advance.

#2 8 years ago

Got a picture? My guess is something with the coil needs adjustment, as the ramp is rather straight forward to get back on.

#3 8 years ago

I didn't mess with the coil at all. I had the ramp completely off. Worked fine before.

#4 8 years ago

Curious to see the answer to this as my STTNG sometimes shoots the ball short and doesn't lock at the top. I was going to replace the coil sleeve.

#5 8 years ago

Is the problem that it comes out of the ramp but doesn't roll far enough to hit the drop target or go into the hole behind the drop target or that it rolls back down the ramp into the catapult launcher?

#6 8 years ago

Can you launch it manually with ease? It does not have to get up by hand, but at least make sure that the ball is placed in the habitrail correctly and that the catapult is not touching stuff is isn't supposed to.

#7 8 years ago

Gets pretty close sometimes.

1 month later
#8 8 years ago

This game is an absolute nightmare. Adjusted the ramp over and over and about 50% of the balls go in the hole now like they are supposed to. They all however roll down the right drain lane like always. How on the world is this game rated so high?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

How on the world is this game rated so high?

I don't think game ratings have anything to do with the problem you are having. Mine works fine every time. Good luck!

#10 8 years ago

I actually moved mine into the basement and I believe the uneven floor upstairs was causing my issue. You might just want to try to level the game.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

This game is an absolute nightmare. Adjusted the ramp over and over and about 50% of the balls go in the hole now like they are supposed to. They all however roll down the right drain lane like always. How on the world is this game rated so high?

It's so high, because it's that good ... when setup right.

Think it's time to take some pic's and let's compare
Mine swooshes the ball into that spiralramp.

About the right-drain, it's all about a firm nudge to keep out of trouble there

#12 8 years ago

The game is so heavy and I nudged it so much I had to put lock nuts on the leg bolts cause they kept coming loose. Ive moved it adjusted it leveled it everything I can. I set the left drain on auto fire. One time it went down the left drain five times in a row. Shoots it out, bounces off left ramp, right back down left drain, shoots it out, bounces off left ramp, etc. I just haven't played it for quite some time and just forgot how bad it was. I took boards out to use in other machines and now they are all fixed so TNG is now all working again.

#13 8 years ago

Dude something is very wrong with your machine, never heard of one doing that left drain thing.

#14 8 years ago

Post some pictures or video. Sounds like something's put together wrong to me.

#15 8 years ago

Sttng. Some are massively outlane drainers and others are not nearly as bad. I have the pinbit's extended outlane kit on mine. And my friends is still better on the outlanes. I suggest getting that kit.

As for your issue with the lanch ramp, you should be able to put two balls into the shooter and and the game should be able to recover from this without the glass coming off.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

How on the world is this game rated so high?

Quoted from o-din:

I don't think game ratings have anything to do with the problem you are having. Mine works fine every time. Good luck!

I propose that we take game ratings to a more granular level. I say we rate each game individually, within each title, by serial number. So, whatever serial number joekiss has would be rated fairly low. Meanwhile o-din's game would be rated higher. This would allow us to identify "lemons" within a particular title.

Wouldn't that be great?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Sttng. Some are massively outlane drainers and others are not nearly as bad.

Being a drainer is one thing. He says it launched and went down the left outline without hitting the flippers five times in a row. That can't happen unless it's put together wrong.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

o-din's game would be rated higher.

As it should be.

By the way mine has black traditional rubbers on it so it really does play like it should.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Being a drainer is one thing. He says it launched and went down the left outline without hitting the flippers five times in a row. That can't happen unless it's put together wrong.

Launch ball. It bounces around the pops and comes out the center area not by upper flipper, hits right sling, left outlane never a flip.

#20 8 years ago

Im getting confused. original post was when launched the ball isn't going into the hole at the top of the playfield. Its off just a little. I have adjusted the metal ramp over and over. Right now its about 50% hit and miss. used to always go in the hole now it misses some. the awful gameplay is something different altogether. Doesn't really matter as this is by far my least played game but would like all of them working for once.

#21 8 years ago

I was just looking at my ST:TNG and I seem to recall having a similar problem when I shopped mine out. You might want to check to make sure that the ramp that goes under the launch ramp isn't impeding the ball when it's launched. It can look like it's ok but it has to be just right under the launch ramp as they actually touch each other. I think with mine there was a small piece from the ramp that goes under the launch ramp that was sticking up and the ball would just touch that as it went by and would slow the ball down.

Take a look at the ramps where they come together and be sure the lower ramp is completely below the lauch ramp and that nothing from the lower ramp is sticking up into the path of the ball at launch.

Dave

#22 8 years ago

That sounds wrong to me. Whether or not the ball exits the ramp and goes all the way to the back machine depends on the angle at which it exits the loop ramp. When I first got my machine I had to adjust the left/right spacing slightly,but since lining that up it works 100% of the time.

I wonder if you left a spacer or washer out when you reassembled it, at one of the two adjustment points? This should be a very simple adjustment, and believe me when this game is "dialed in" it is an excellent game so don't give up on it. I've attached photos showing the two adjustment points on the loop ramp, so that you can see how mine is assembled. Let me know if you need additional photos.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

#23 8 years ago

Sorry. You will want to rotate the three photos. I didn't realize I had my iPad upside down when I took them.

#24 8 years ago

Try again.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

#25 8 years ago

Thanks. Ill give a shot.

#26 8 years ago

I would start with loosing the right adjustment post (photo 1) and slightly moving the ramp left or right, and launch the ball. If it does not make it to the back reliably you should be able to tell where the ball is hitting and loosing momentum and adjust from there. Let me know how it goes.

1 week later
#27 8 years ago

Good lord. Just played this thing and had a 58 million point game. Think I touched the ball a total of 7 times. I think Im going to part this one out.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Good lord. Just played this thing and had a 58 million point game. Think I touched the ball a total of 7 times. I think Im going to part this one out.

I will go 2k on it, no questions asked. Great game.

3 months later
#29 8 years ago

Hope you didn't part out, it's just the adjustment on the launch ramp, mine drove me nuts until I realized when the catapult launched the ball it wasn't hitting the ramp on center. The ball would wobble in the round part of the ramp, and loose it's momentum.
Has to hit the hole dead center.

2 weeks later
#30 8 years ago

Dibs on the transformer and all the circuit boards

2 years later
#31 6 years ago

My launch ramp just started rattling against the glass when the ball launches. This is strange as I wasn't working on anything around it. It seems that at the top of the loop now occasionally touches the glass on ball launch. Any idea of the best way to adjust this, because I tried to move the mid ramp adjustment point in and out and it has no effect. Could the bracket that connects it have gotten bent?
Thanks for any help.

5 years later
#32 6 months ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

My launch ramp just started rattling against the glass when the ball launches. This is strange as I wasn't working on anything around it. It seems that at the top of the loop now occasionally touches the glass on ball launch. Any idea of the best way to adjust this, because I tried to move the mid ramp adjustment point in and out and it has no effect. Could the bracket that connects it have gotten bent?
Thanks for any help.

Did you ever resolve this? I stripped a STTNG and now the same thing is happening. Glass touches the launch ramp and it makes an awful rattling noise on ball launch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-shooter-ramp-setup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.