shields after.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_20140624_195744.jpg
IMG_20140614_104145.jpg
image02.jpg
pic01.jpeg
#1 9 years ago

Been tearing down my STTNG to get all of my Comet LED's set up. noticed the shields have haze from scratches i think, any good way to get this look to go away, would new insert mylars help (does anyone sell just those?) and is it easy to replace them. Also tried using novus 1 and 2 on ball trail dirt going down to flippers with it still leaving somewhat of a trail, is there any better way to try and clean those before I get to waxing the playfield.

Pics

image02.jpgimage02.jpg pic01.jpegpic01.jpeg
#2 9 years ago

Treasure Cove polish kit works wonders.

#3 9 years ago

Im a little more concerned about how the shields look any advice
On that ?

#4 9 years ago

bumpity bump

#5 9 years ago

bump

#6 9 years ago

It is hard to tell from the pics, but that might just be how they look?

Like some inserts have that cracked appearance after sanding down the playfield?

And the ball trails on my TNG are hard to remove as well, I don't let it bother me. They are there due to a steel ball rolling on the exact same spot tens of thousands of times. Its okay it looks different than the rest of the playfield

#7 9 years ago

My inserts look just like that. I think that's how they look.
Short of removing them and replacing I see no real way to solve.

4 months later
#8 9 years ago

Even the new replacement ones have that strange haze and micro "cracks". LEDs really highlight this problem. With the incandescent bulbs is hardly visible.

#9 9 years ago

I was told they weren't easy to remove and replace so I'm not messing with mine right now.

#10 9 years ago

To anyone on the fence just replace them. It's easy and looks way better. Well mine needed to be done clearly but the new ones still look really good.

IMG_20140614_104145.jpgIMG_20140614_104145.jpg

IMG_20140624_195744.jpgIMG_20140624_195744.jpg

#11 9 years ago

brad808, how hard was the replacement procedure?

my STTNG has noticeable ball trails in the inlanes, too. Novus does nothing to them. wish I knew how to get rid of them.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

my STTNG has noticeable ball trails in the inlanes, too. Novus does nothing to them. wish I knew how to get rid of them.

I didn't find it that bad at all to be honest and it was my first time doing anything along those lines. The most painful part was paying for shipping them from the UK to Canada. There is a fair amount about changing inserts online already, its where I got all my information from. The basics though are to heat up the old insert from underneath to loosen the glue then use a piece of dowel and a hammer to knock the old ones out. Clean off all the glue from the hole in the playfield. Get a 2 part clear epoxy and put some in the hole (from underneath) and around the edge of the insert and then install them. keep alcohol and a rag handy in case you need to get some of the glue off in a hurry.

My new ones were identical depth to the originals so they lined up nicely but you should put something flat on the playfield then hold the inserts from underneath while they set to ensure they are 100% level.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

To anyone on the fence just replace them. It's easy and looks way better. Well mine needed to be done clearly but the new ones still look really good.

MG_20140614_104145.jpg 356 KB

IMG_20140624_195744.jpg 562 KB

Not to rain on that parade, but it doesn't appear your PF was re-cleared after they were replaced when you took that pic. The micro-cracks only show up when it's been cleared. How are you protecting yours from being damaged?

#14 9 years ago

The "haze" crap look is because of GI under inserts. The multiple lights have heated up and over time done a number on the plastic inserts. I have some of this as well. I would have to think the only fix would be to replace them, which I don't believe it possible given you cannot buy these inserts to my understanding.

I'm an LED guy, and in using these in there it saves them from further damage (unlikely for the small amount of home use you will contribute to), but also helps to mask the issue in the glow.

After all is done, you don't really notice as much as you think, but again, mine aren't that bad.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Mine had horrible ball trails. Treasure Cove took care of them. Had to go over them a few times but the results were worth the hard work. Now to find the energy to put this thing back together again.
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

#16 9 years ago

In regards to the shield crazing you may actually be able to clean them from the bottom. I think there is a clear layer on the inside of the shields that does this over time. If you run your finger nail over the insides you will probably be able to flake off some. I cleaned mine with alcohol and then applied a little water based clear with a brush. Mine were not as bad as the one above but definitely visible. This is after.

shields after.jpgshields after.jpg

#17 9 years ago

So if you replace these things are you then suppose to clear coat the playfield?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

I cleaned mine with alcohol and then applied a little water based clear with a brush. Mine were not as bad as the one above but definitely visible. This is after.

That's an interesting idea, as the cracks are underneath. I'll put that on the never-ending list of stuff I hope to accomplish pin wise in the next 200 years.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from FishPharm:

So if you replace these things are you then suppose to clear coat the playfield?

Technically you shouldn't have to... inserts have been holding up for 70+ years without clear, but come on... if you're going to all that trouble, the game originally has clear on it, you're leaving rough edges exposed to ball travel if you don't...meh.... it's not something *I* would do. Make your own call.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 64.99
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-shield-haze-and-near-flipper-ball-trail-dirt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.