IMG_1329 (resized).jpg
datasheet.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1326.jpg
IMG_1324.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1301.jpeg
IMG_1299.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 2 years ago

You have corrosion on the back side of the board as well
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

1 week later
#31 2 years ago
Quoted from AlonzoMoselyFBI:

Anyone see any concerns?

I applaud your efforts at attempting to salvage this board, but it looks like you still have active corrosion on the board; the black areas in you picture is alkaline corrosion eating away at the copper under you solder mask, this is like a cancer that will continue to damage the board and spread.

I also have some concerns about the replacement parts you chose to install on your board for L1 and C32 ... you have a component labeled 1000J in your C32 position, this is supposed to be a 1000pf capacitor but based on its physical size I'm going to guess its not, for comparison both C32 and C33 are the same part. I'm also not sure what the specs are for your your L1 replacement but this part should be a ferrite core inductor for high inductance and low DC resistance, since your +5VDC for the entire board flows through this part its very important to get this one right. This inductor is essentially nothing more than a copper wire wound around a core.

Below is a link to a fully verified parts list for suitable replacement parts for nearly all components on the WPC89 CPU board:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C4znEqZd4K4eywhi__qDwI-3AsX6Y5qdw9Pzb0p178A/edit#gid=1430569459

This is what they look like on the board...the L1 I use is slightly larger than the original as its speced to provide a 4A continuous load instead of 3A.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#33 2 years ago

I have used those 1000pfs in a couple other places, including a Space Shuttle MPU, (machine is fully operational at the moment), and have had no signs of trouble. Does the dielectric make a difference??

The main difference is that MLCC capacitors are UL listed for use in commercial devices, are flameproof, exhibits no change in capacitance with respect to voltage, and have a minimal change in capacitance with reference to ambient temperature. The capacitors you are using will likely work fine in in this application most of the time.

I also found the parts I used strange looking compared to what they replace, but unless I'm missing something, they are of the correct (or better) specification:

L1: amazon.com link »

The specs for the inductor seem woefully inadequate, I don't believe the MPU will boot at all with this part installed.

The power specification for this inductor is listed as .5W and as I mentioned previously, the original part is speced to handle 3A of continuous current; at the operating voltage of 5V this equates to the original part being able to handle a continuous load of 15 Watts (Watts = Voltage x Current). To calculate the current capacity of the inductor you installed you would have to use this formula (Amps = Watts/Voltage) this would mean the inductor you have installed is rated for a sustained current of only 0.1 Amps.

#35 2 years ago

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the specifications on this; I would be interested in knowing if the CPU will boot with that inductor installed.

#36 2 years ago

The capacitor I used has a better tolerance than the KEMET you suggest, (5% v 10%), but I do see that the max temp rating is way less, (+85C v 150C).

Yes it's a high temp device but realistically 85C is a sufficient max operating voltage for this application, I put he initial parts list together a long time ago and tried to have as few different manufactures as possible, with the prime goal being to not have any parts with China as the country of origin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 64.99
$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-servicemenu-buttons-issue?tu=Pin_Guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.