Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ChrisHibler
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I recently moved my STTNG (not sure if related) and decided to run thru the switch test to remove the Borg switch errors (error dot because I never seem to get the ship loaded).

When I open the coin door, i get the normal door open/power message. However, of the four buttons, only two seem to be working correctly. The left (back/exit) and volume up button (3rd from left) work all the time. The volume down button (2nd from left) doesn't do anything. When I first open the door, sometimes the right/enter button will act like volume down...otherwise it does nothing.

Any ideas?

#2 6 years ago

This just happened to my TAFG today. First check your wiring to the buttons. I had a wire come loose which caused two not to work.

#3 6 years ago

My bad cats the switches are shot. So I just used alligator clips and hotwired it lol. Tapping each time to advance. I bet its a loose wire like Skyemont mentioned.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

This just happened to my TAFG today. First check your wiring to the buttons. I had a wire come loose which caused two not to work.

I pulled the bracket and looked over the wiring. All the wires looked attached and moving them around didn't show any as disconnected. I'll look at them again to see if any are almost disconnected.

#4 6 years ago

Is there any battery corrosion on the CPU board?

I swapped out a CPU board on my STTNG just a few nights ago with battery leakage on the board and it was causing some very erratic behavior in the menus.

Cheers,
Greg

#5 6 years ago

It has a remote battery and no corrosion.

Was playing with it some between games. I'm not sure its the switches as I've (without cutting) shorted the (exposed) wires with the same results. One thing it did this time that it had done once before - as soon as I open the door, it went into a high score reset countdown. Fortunately it didn't take out my GC score. I'd think ground if all of them went out or were acting funny...but its just vol - and Enter.

In the meantime, is there a way to manually reduce the volume? Since the Vol + works but Vol - doesn't, I managed to increase the volume by accidentally hitting +.

4 months later
#7 5 years ago

Any resolution to this? My STTNG has started doing the same. None of the buttons work. I tested voltage at the switch and have +/- 6v, but on WH2O (same year from Williams) I have +/- 12v. Not sure what voltage should be, but (knock on wood) no problems with WH2O.

#8 5 years ago

Check for continuity through the connectors.I found a bad connector on FH at the coin door board.

#9 5 years ago

I don't have any problems with the buttons on my sttng, but if you are having trouble loading the borgship, check the top diverter. Mine was stuck, the grease turned to glue. Completely remove, clean, and grease the whole setup.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitz7734:

Any resolution to this? My STTNG has started doing the same. None of the buttons work.

Check for battery damage on CPU first.

LTG : )™

#11 5 years ago

No corrosion LTG.

Just to update the post. While it doesn't affect play except for bong sound while playing, it would reset scores if I open the coin door while its happening. I disconnected the coin door from the board. Interestingly it still happens. So now I need to track the issue upstream from there.

#12 5 years ago

The swithches go bad - I had the same problem. Order a new switch bank and installed and they work great. Nice and smooth!

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from loanguy7171973:

The swithches go bad

And be sure the lugs on the back of them aren't shorting to metal.

2 years later
#14 3 years ago

Reviving an old thread.

I'm having the same problems with my STTNG. Originally I couldn't get into the diagnostic mode to check a credit dot.

No acid damage, replaced the switch bank twice, and still have the same problem. Changing the switch banks only moved the problem to different buttons. And the problem moves around too. Sometimes I can get into diagnostic mode and scroll the menus, and then things go crazy as if I was holding the up or down buttons. Then I can no longer get back into diagnostic mode.

Game plays fine otherwise.

#15 3 years ago

You can jump the ground wire under the diagnostic switches to game ground. If they now work your problem is on the ground side going back to the CPU. If not then make sure you have 12 volts on the positive side of the switch. Actually I would do this first.
I recently found a broken wire on a coin switch which caused this problem

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

And be sure the lugs on the back of them aren't shorting to metal.

Check the diagnostic switches to make sure the metal bracket holding them isn't bent and shorting the switch(es) lugs against the bracket.

#17 3 years ago

Grounding the appropriate pin shown in the table at this link is equivalent to pushing the button.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Direct_Switch_Problems

One end of a stripped wire on the head ground braid.
Touch the other end to the appropriate MPU pin.
Don't worry...you can break anything by simply grounding these pins.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#18 3 years ago

I've run all the tests and everything checks out, except the 'enter' switch is not working.

So I replace the 'enter' switch. It works fine for two or three selections, and then starts scrolling through the menus like you're holding the switch, even though you're not. Shortly after that, the 'enter' switch no longer works. Back to square one.

It doesn't affect gameplay, and it wouldn't bother me so much except I can't go into diagnostics and I cannot eject the balls in order to lift the playfield. That and it resets the high scores.

#19 3 years ago

Played a few games last night. Everything seems to work, but ball lock is random and comes at any time. What's more, once lock is lit Mr. Data keeps prompting you, which doesn't happen during normal game play. I think STTNG is possessed.

Can I disconnect J205 without any other detriment to the game except for diagnostics (which doesn't currently work anyway) and volume control?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside