View topic image gallery

IMG_1888 (resized).JPG
IMG_1886 (resized).JPG
IMG_1885 (resized).JPG
958 (resized).JPG
937 (resized).JPG
907 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I've finally bit the bullet and started the Romulan Warbird mod on my STTNG. Before I begin I want to be clear how to power it once its in the game, since the original tow has no lights.

Since the connection is polarized, I'm looking for a definitive guide on how to wire it into the game correctly and cleanly, and with as little hacking as possible.

#3 7 years ago

The ship has incandescent bulbs so there is no need to worry about polarity, just connect it to one of the GI strings (6.3VAC) and it will work fine.

I disassembled one of these ships in order to evaluate the circuitry inside, I was not happy with the way it was looking as you have to break it apart, this caused paint to chip off and light to shine through where it shouldn't, rather than fix it I tossed it and went with the other option which I recommend.

Just cutting the hole rather than disassembling the whole ship as it will save you time, and come out better in the end. The ship has a small circuit board in it, this board contains a small regulator circuit to dissipate excess voltage as heat.

907 (resized).JPG907 (resized).JPG

you wont need this circuit as the GI circuit is the right voltage to drive the lamps; just be careful to stop drilling as soon as you drill through the first half, this will minimize damage to the wires.

937 (resized).JPG937 (resized).JPG

I believe I reattached the wires so that the pair of lamps on each side of the ship in series with each other, and the two pairs in parallel; this is the same way the circuit card operated the two sides of the ship.

958 (resized).JPG958 (resized).JPG

It really sounds more complicated than it is, good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I'm looking for a definitive guide on how to wire it into the game correctly and cleanly, and with as little hacking as possible.

I can respect that, this can be done with no "hacking."

What I did was soldered a pair of wires to one of the GI lights on the right rear side of the playfield, on the top side, I attached a two-pin connector to to the wires, this will give me the ability to take things apart without any difficulty.

IMG_1885 (resized).JPGIMG_1885 (resized).JPG

The small 1/4" cable clamp hold everything in place so you cant see the connector or wires from the players perspective.

IMG_1886 (resized).JPGIMG_1886 (resized).JPG

IMG_1888 (resized).JPGIMG_1888 (resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

oops.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.00
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.99
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-romulan-warbird-mod-power-source and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.