Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tng_matrix_3 (resized).png
tng_matrix (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwf_pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

My TNG is having an issue where the right orbit rollover (sw 58) also triggers the left gun launch opto (sw 38) and the borg entry opto (sw 48). I've tried checking their shared ground on both the opto board and cpu (white-gray wires) but they seem ok.
It causes the game to credit you with picard maneuvers and delta ramp shots that it shouldn't due to the borg entry opto being tied, but the left gun seems to function normally.
Any idea where I can start? thanks

Edit: after a little more looking and taking a slo-mo video of the dmd, I can see that the gun opto circuit opens and the Borg opto flickers pretty rapidly between open and closed if I hold down the rollover.

#2 3 years ago

As an update:
I checked the j207 and 209 pins on my rottendog mpu board against each other as per the pinwiki documentation and they are fine.
It seems to ALWAYS open the left gun opto circuit which doesn't affect gameplay it seems, but intermittently open the Borg entry opto which can trick the machine into thinking you made a left ramp shot and tries to clear the Borg hole.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from grumppy:

Try unplugging the gun turret harness and see what happens. The wire harness can get messed up from rubbing when the gum moves.

Thanks for the reply.
I've just tried unplugging the molex connector with the 4 cables for the opto transmitter/reciever and with it unplugged still get the borg hole entry trigger.
I've also just changed the diode on sw 58 to no avail.

#8 3 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys,

As another update, I'm not sure if ive been testing them correctly, but all the diodes in row 8 seem to be functioning normally. The only one I'm not sure about is the shooter lane switch diode. It tests correctly, but doesn't care if the switch is actuated or not to get a good reading as all the others do. Is this the bad connection I'm looking for?

Also, I've just found that if you hold down the malfunctioning sw 58 (rt orbit) it displays its normal behavior of opening 38 and sometimes 48, but if you simultaneously close sw 18 (rt outlane) it will also now close sw 17 (rt return lane) which is the eddy sensor. I didn't even know there was a sensor there and it's very cool.
Is this the box that I see referenced when I search older threads?
tng_matrix (resized).pngtng_matrix (resized).png

#9 3 years ago

Is it weird that the rollover only falsely triggers the two optos in its row? And also weird that it will always trigger one opto, but only sometimes the other?
This is my first machine and I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.
I do have a professional coming this weekend though, so perhaps I should stop monkeying around with it.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yep, that's the classic rectangle you get, good job. Does the shooter lane switch register properly in switch tests when you close and open it?

It does operate correctly when pressed, but it is the only diode I tested in that row that worked regardless if the switch was pressed or not. I don't know if that's relevant as I've seem some places that say you must disconnect one leg of a diode to test it. Maybe my results are bogus, but again it worked on all the other ones.

#12 3 years ago

Revised rectangle. I've just learned that a similar issue happens when you hold sw 78 (t.r. lane), triggering sw 77 (t.c. lane) right next to it.
Would this be two rectangles or one big one? I don't have enough hands to check all three at once, but maybe when my roommate gets home.
tng_matrix_3 (resized).pngtng_matrix_3 (resized).png

#14 3 years ago

The drop target (57) is probably tied to this. I just tested again, and don't get the weird behavior of 18 closing 17 and 78 closing 77 if the drop target is up and the circuit is open. Resumes wonkyness when the switch is closed. It would seem I have two rectangles going on with both sharing 57 and 58 as corners.
I should wait for my guy, but man do I want to play.

#15 3 years ago

I've figured out that if both sw 57 and sw 58 are engaged at the same time, activating any switch in row 8 will also light the switch in row 7 in the same column. Even the most accessable opto I can open (sw 67, trough up) will close itself if its adjacent switch is activated (sw 68, shooter)
I disconnected the 16-opto board and tested again, same results just with no optos functioning.
Just to reiterate as I'm collecting my thoughts and findings here;
My machine has two probably related problems.
1. Closing the right orbit rollover (sw 58) will ALWAYS open the left gun opto (sw 38) and sometimes, and intermittently if held down, open the Borg entry opto (sw 48).
2. If the drop target (sw 57) and right orbit rollover (sw 58) are both closed, closing any other switch in row 8 will also close the switch in the same column in row 7. Apparently even if it is a blocked opto.

#17 3 years ago

Thanks again for your help Bob,
As a late night update, my roommate came home so I had enough hands to thoroughly check the switch matrix on j207 and j209 on my rottendog mpu. All points tested good there so I can rule the mpu board out. We also reversed both ends of the ribbon cable leading from the mpu board to the driver board in the backbox and no change was detected.
I guess it's an issue with the harness or switch/diode at this point.
I'll keep at it until my guy comes.

1 week later
#18 3 years ago

In case anyone stumbles upon this, I had a tech come out and he found sw 58 must've been replaced by the previous owner and wired backwards. All solved. Thanks for your guys help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 63.95
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 15.00
$ 9.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwf_pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-right-orbit?tu=jwf_pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.