(Topic ID: 151170)

STTNG Right gun popper solenoid #04 doesnt work.

By joekiss

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

joekiss_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

As said above cant figure it out. Doesn't fire in solenoid test but shows its running. Has the same voltage as other coils so I assume its getting power. I checked the wires and also switched the Power Driver board. What do I do now?

#2 8 years ago

If only this solenoid does not work then check the solenoid Cu wire after the soldering point.

joekiss_(resized).jpgjoekiss_(resized).jpg

#3 8 years ago

Start by replacing the wiring harnes's to the both guns.

#4 8 years ago

Connection is good.

#5 8 years ago

The guns work fine if you put a ball in them. Both optos and shooters work fine.

#6 8 years ago

do you have the coin door closed when running solenoid test?

#7 8 years ago

Yes. Other solenoids work fine. took me awhile to figure that out though...

#8 8 years ago

So if it works fine during a game, why worry about it?
mine pulses so quickly some coils don't always fire quick enough to see.

#9 8 years ago

It doesnt work at all. Doesnt work in solenoid test or during a game.

#10 8 years ago

your driver board provide ground to coil, so yes you could still see +voltage at coil but the ground wire could be internally broken. That's why I sugested replacing wiring harness to guns

#11 8 years ago

Would the wiring harness to the guns have anything to do with the popper? Ill double check the wires.

#12 8 years ago

OK, I'm officially confused. you started out with right gun popper? are you referring to the sling shot under the gun?

#13 8 years ago

"STTNG Right gun popper solenoid " + "The guns work fine if you put a ball in them. " + "It doesnt work at all." = I am confused also.

I 'think' you are talking about the right KICKER (thing under the cannon behind the rubber), nothing to do with cannon. Correct?

#14 8 years ago

so if you put a ball in the cannon, it will rotate and you can shoot out the ball? or is it it won't fire ball out of cannon

#15 8 years ago

Yes #04 solenoid right gun popper. Youre thinking of the shooter solenoid. The popper shoots it up to the shooter. They are all numbered in the manual.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

so if you put a ball in the cannon, it will rotate and you can shoot out the ball? or is it it won't fire ball out of cannon

correct

#17 8 years ago

Ok now I get it.

have you tried, using a wire from the ground strap to the smallest wire on the coil, ( bigger wire is the + voltage) to see if the coil works?
just briefly tap coil with ground wire. you might just have a bad coil. do you get voltage readings on both coil posts?

#18 8 years ago

Well, for both cases check the connections to the coil itself, but I guess you've already done that. Check/replace the (driver)transistors, they might not work.

The cannons are notorious for intermittent cable loom breaks, its always a good idea to replace the originals with better ones, even if they still work.

#19 8 years ago

Yes to voltage on both posts and the connection is good. The coil manually moves up and down just fine.

#20 8 years ago

Ok so you need to back track the ground to coil wire back to the driver board, either you have a bad wire connection at the J whatever plug,
on driver board, or a broken wire somehere, or a bad Q transistor driver. like freebee sugest. They normal lock on when they go bad, but not always

#21 8 years ago

The power driver board is good. Any other boards to check?

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

The power driver board is good. Any other boards to check?

Nope. The driver provides both the source and the return path. I didn't see above, but did the solenoid fire when you grounded the return side?

#23 8 years ago

Explain please?

#24 8 years ago

I'm fairly certain the problem is going to be the Violet-Yellow wire... Yes, both sides are violet-yellow. Since this is the only one that doesn't work, take a very close look at J130-5.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Explain please?

The 50V for this coil is generated on the power driver, it leaves the driver on J107-3 (Violet-yellow wire) to power this and half a dozen other things. the other side of the coil returns to the power driver on J130-5 (Violet-Yellow wire) where its turned on by transistor Q76 to complete the path.

#26 8 years ago

Got to be the connection. Will check tonight

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from FreeBee:

The cannons are notorious for intermittent cable loom breaks,

Part of the confusion is he is NOT talking about the cannon itself. What he is talking about is the VUK (Vertical UpKicker AKA: Popper) from the subway that LOADS the cannon. Took me this many posts to figure that out.

This also means it could be the opto sensor down in the subway that tells the CPU that the VUK is loaded (assuming the VUK does work in selftest).

#28 8 years ago

Yea he said in coil test it didn't work, sounded to me like a bad connection somewhere or bad tip102 on the driver board.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

bad connection somewhere or bad tip102 on the driver board.

I agree. My gut says connection 1st, Tip 2nd.

#30 8 years ago

I switched driver boards.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

This also means it could be the opto sensor down in the subway that tells the CPU that the VUK is loaded

There are no optos in the subway that perform this function, all the VUK's have their own optos. No opto would ever prevent a coil from firing from the solenoid test menu.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

or bad tip102 on the driver board.

If this is a tip102 I have some bad diagrams

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

No opto would ever prevent a coil from firing from the solenoid test menu.

Never said a bad opto would stop a coil from firing in self test.

What I said was we are not talking about the cannon, we are talking about the VUK. And in that context I stated that it could even be the opto (whether in the subway or on the VUK itself is minutia) and AFTER that it was determined/confirmed the VUK was not failing in selftest at which point I agreed it was a broke wire or driver.

#34 8 years ago

Finally worked on it. Switched driver boards-same problem. Checked the connection from J130-1 to J130-5 all is good. Could it possibly be a bad coil?

#35 8 years ago

Did you ohm out the coil?
Does it look bad?

Coils do not just go bad and NOT read open or shorted. Ohm it out, compare it to one of the other VUK's.

#36 8 years ago

Will do thanks.

#37 8 years ago

This coil should measure 4.1 ohms. But if you have your 50V on both sides, you already know its good.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Checked the connection from J130-1 to J130-5 all is good.

Do you have +50V on J130-5? There is also a multipin connector that all the VUK wires go through and if you aren't getting your 50V at J130-5 then this connector is going to be the next thing to look at ... I'm going to assume the coil is good since you checked it a few days ago.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 63.95
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-right-gun-popper-solenoid-04-doesnt-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.