Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

The right cannon slowed to a crawl. I took everything mechanical apart and cleaned it- zero difference. When I put it back together and fired it up, something smoked. Measuring voltage, I get zero volts on transistor base of Q40. Any advise to what to check is appreciated! Everything else seems to work fine.

Brad

#2 6 years ago

This same thing happened to me about a year ago. I had to replace the gun motor and the short white arm crank that attached to it. You can buy the parts from Marco. You can try other places and see if it's cheaper.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8619

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17562

You will need basic tools and pin punch and replacement pin. I forgot the size of the pin but you can measure it with the pin punch.

Good luck

Good luck

#3 6 years ago

Thanks! To give a little more detail - the cannon works fine with 12v applied. Measuring the volts across the motor - zero volts. Measuring the voltage at the base of Q40 - zero volts. Grounding the tab - nothing... I checked the transistor, it's fine. I also checked the drive transistor for voltage and shorts, it's also good. So, what powers the base of Q40 for 12 volts?
Thanks!

#4 6 years ago

Good question. I'm not sure. You should post this on the Star Trek forum section. I agree with you this sounds like a board issue.

#5 6 years ago

Have you checked the Motor EMI board? You said that something smoked, have you found any sign of what that was, should be visible evidence of whatever got hot enough to burn?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from NoTellin:

So, what powers the base of Q40 for 12 volts?

Ok, it took me awhile to figure out what you are talking about but I think you are referring to the metal tab (collector) of Q40. If my assumption is right, the 12V you should see there when the motor is off comes from J118-2 of the power driver board, to J1-3 of the the motor EMI board, to J2-1 of the motor EMI board, through the winding of the motor, back through the EMI board an on to J126-2 of the power driver board, finally arriving at the collector of transistor Q40.
Of course if the motor is commanded on, or Q40 is shorted, you should have 0 volts there.

#7 6 years ago

Thank you Pin_Guy. I found the diode on the right EMI board was fried. I replaced it and I'm back to my original problem. Progress

The gun works but is very slow when the gun opto's are blocked, normal when not. It's not the weight of the ball or jammed grease on the shaft. A) I started by cleaning the whole assembly and B) when the opto's are open (game fires up - no ball) I measure 9.5 volts. When I block the optos with my finger (not touching anything) I measure 3.4 volts across the motor. I'm not seeing how the LED opto's affect the 12 volts across the motor but I'm wondering if the cathode side isn't making ground or something. Any direction is appreciated!! Anybody have this issue before?
Thanks!!!

#8 6 years ago

Take a look at this post, I think it will help you.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slow-cannons

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.95
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-right-cannon-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.