(Topic ID: 209510)

*fixed* STTNG problems with Low power solenoid circuit, fuse 104.

By deuteros

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by deuteros
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Problem, fuse 104 blowing as soon as I start a new game.

Things we checked;
Using 3A SB fuse
Checked 50v measured to 72v
Checked all solenoids 9 throug 16 with multi meter, shows ok.
Checked VCC shows 12v
5v to LS374 checked seems ok (resently changed)
Measured all TIP102, seems ok
Measured all 2N5401, seems ok
Measured all resistors, values seems ok
20v at TP7 missing (possibly unrealated)

2 weeks later
#2 6 years ago

Nobody?

#3 6 years ago

I'd unplug the connector for solenoids on that fuse. Then try it. At least sort out board problem or out in the game problem.

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago

Remove the solenoid drive connectors from the bottom of the board.
Replace fuse.
Power on.
Does the fuse still blow?
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#5 6 years ago

You made 2 exact posts, this post was replied to...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-problems-with-low-power-solenoid-circuit-fuse-104

we were waiting on your reply...

#6 6 years ago

Pin_Guy what the? I thought i deleted the duplicate post. Thanks for the heads up. Will be goung through the all replies after work.

Have been battling with this for months now.

#7 6 years ago

Looks like the first post is in some kind of limbo, only this thread works.
Will try to move my answers and your posts here.

Don't know if the link from pin-guy works for everyone. It doesn't show up in the forum for me.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Do you have a diode installed on your trough coil? And if so, is the violet-orange wire on the striped side? I'm asking this as Sol 11 is the only thing tied to F104 that gets energized at game start.

No, there is no diode on Sol 11. Would it help to add this with cathodeside on the violet-orange side? And if so, what type of diode? Would a 1N400x suffice?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

If you remove J107, turn the game on and the fuse doesn't blow I would then (with the game off) remove J127, and perform a continuity test from J107, pin 2 (connector side not board) to a game ground. This would confirm if there is a short somewhere on the high-power side. You could then work from the opposite side, and do the same test on each pin of J127 (connector side not board) to try and isolate which circuit has a possible short.

Not sure how to do this but I have a friend who does. Should we try pin-guy's diode on sol11 first before we do this? No fuse blow until I hit the start game button.
Also the flashers doesn't work. Something with the 20v. But thought we should get the game to work first.

Quoted from pintechev:

You should remove the playfield connector that is driven from F104 and see if the fuse still blows. If it does, you have a board issue. If not, it’s an issue on the playfield.

The fuse holds until i start the game. Also if j127 is disconnected the game "plays"(just without sol9-16)
We also tried connecting just j127-1. Not smart, the fuse didn't blow but borg kicker started smoking. Our thought was going through each sol to see when the fuse blew, but too much power went to the sol and it didn't release.

#11 6 years ago

Quoted from Pin_Guy:
The one thing I don't see mentioned here is the ribbon cable, have you tried reseating, or flipping over the ribbon cable between the MPU and PDB?

Before we check q58 we wanted to try flipping the ribbon j113. It had some strange effects. The high power cutoff stopped working, and the flippers worked even with the coin door open. Now we will check the ribbon with a multimeter.

(a little later)
On the ribbon cable pin33 might have faulty wiring. But we don't think this would case the fuse to blow.

#12 6 years ago

Replaced q58 and refreshed solder on a condenser.
Got error message on slam tilt swich. Opened but did nothing.

Now we lost 50v 20v and have 8v on the 12v.
C-DMD and all lamps missing.
Found another condenser had loosened.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from deuteros:

Replaced q58 and refreshed solder on a condenser.
Got error message on slam tilt swich. Opened but did nothing.

Now we lost 50v 20v and have 8v on the 12v.
C-DMD and all lamps missing.
Found another condenser had loosened.

Whenever I see 50V and 20V missing together I automatically assume the coin door is opened or the coin door switch has failed. Can you confirm if your game has two interlocks on the coin door and not just one?

If your 12V is reading 8 volts I would expect there to be many issues.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#14 6 years ago

My game has two interlocks on the coin door.
I will next time I can work on it again, go over all solder.

history:
When I got my Color DMD it did not work at first. So I replaced almost all rectifiers(BR1 to BR5) and condencers(C30-C11).
Then everything was fine for a couple of plays. But then it started to act funny, it sometimes gave me two balls. It was the steepnes of my pin doing it.
Since I had extra condencers I took out the board once more and also replaced C5. But forgot WHITE/GRD(i think it is j111).
After that it acted funny again. So after a lot of measuring we found error in U3 so we replaced it.
After U20 was replaced it still did not work, that was when f104 started to blow. And we had no 20v, but had 12v and 50v.
Thats when we posted and started doing the things abowe.

#15 6 years ago

Update. It now works. I wrote a long post on what we did, but when I hit post it all disappeared.

But yea. It works now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 9.95
$ 64.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-problems-with-low-power-solenoid-circuit-fuse-104-105 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.