(Topic ID: 24414)

TECH: STTNG Problems: Only one left to fix!

By Nexyss

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Nexyss
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2012-09-16155634.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tracelifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 11 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

6 days ago, I brought home a really nice working (but getting dirty), and great playing STTNG. So far, these are the problems that have developed:
Alpha Quadrant switch not detecting the ball
Ball not making it to the lock hole (intermittent). The pop up blocker is a little low when retracted, so I think that is most of the problem
Machine searches for balls and won't start a game. Launches to the lock hole, then drops a ball out of the chute by the Left gun, and repeats. Every once in a while, I can start a game and play, but it launches two balls sometimes.
I want to try to make this machine bullet proof. If you have any suggestions on how to do that, please let me know.

The game loads two balls in the subway and if the optos are dirty it will repeat this process.
Make sure the launcher coil is clean and adjust the circular ramp so it is sitting on top of the one below it, if it is wobbly it scrubs the speed off the ball.
This has to be working to load the balls into the subway.
Go into coil test and go back one click and that will eject all the balls, you don't want to open a STTNG with balls in the subway or the two balls roll to the back and blow the back of the subway out.
Once the balls are out and you make sure all six of them are there go to switch edge test and drop them down the middle and make sure all the balls are registering and make sure the connectors are seated on the trough opto boards.
If this is working correctly go back to coil test, eject all balls and lift the pf.
Go back into switch edge test and use a thin piece of business card or a strip of a credit card and check each opto.
Move the diverters by hand and make sure they are not sticky or a bent or a broken diverter arm.
To remove the subway for cleaning unplug all the connectors and remove the VUK weldment on the right and remove all the screws holding in the subway and you can worm it out of there, clean and reinstall in reverse order.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Thanks for the tip on taking out the balls before lifting the playfield. I hope I didn't mess anything up yesterday. lol
I am going to go out and test the optos in a few minutes.
I just remembered another new problem. It quit saving the settings the other day. I replaced the batteries, and it worked fine for a couple of days, but now it is not saving again. Has anyone had that problem?

That is not good, this usually means corrosion on the CPU, look for the fuzz on the legs of the components underneath the batteries.

1 week later
#31 11 years ago

Glad to hear you got it going.
I think that hardened white grease is factory I have had diverters on a couple games frozen with it and have read about several others including yours with the same problem.

#37 11 years ago

Too much heat and you need to clean and wet the tip.
Dry tip+too much heat= lifted traces.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

I thought dry tip + too much heat = walk funny the next day?
Eh, what do I know.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
314-766-4587

LOL!

You are confusing heat with friction.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 63.95
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 64.99
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tracelifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-problems-new-ones-daily?tu=tracelifter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.