• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sttng.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi,

1. What is the best way to remove this post from the playfield? Reason for removing is that the ramp post that goes on top of the post has snapped and has left a thread inside this post. I have removed the nut from underneath the playfield attached to this post - is it now a case of force to unscrew out?

sttng.jpgsttng.jpg

2. The left gun popper sometimes pops the ball out fine. Other times the ball will pop up, hit the metal roof and then drop back down. You then have to wait for the machine to find a ball. Is there anything to adjust to make this pop the ball out 100% of the time?

Thanks in advance!
Andy

#2 10 years ago

With the post, a careful hammer from underneath. There are no threads holding it in, just friction.

On the popper, try cleaning the shaft and the coil sleeve with alcohol, make sure nothing has worked loose, and make sure it has the correct coil per the manual. Also make sure the plunger tip is not broken or worn.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

With the post, a careful hammer from underneath. There are no threads holding it in, just friction.

^ This ^...the first time I tried to remove one of these posts I mangled it pretty good with pliers trying to "unscrew" a post without threads

But the left gun popper issue...I hope someone else chimes in on this. It's my last issue with an otherwise perfectly running STTNG. For mine, it's not dirty (cleaned entire VUK and optos, replaced coil sleeve). It's not a worn plunger tip (replaced plunger). And it doesn't seem to be trajectory related as I have tried making slight adjustments to the coil stop. I swear it's somehow related to the power coming to the coil as I can actually feel that the coil doesn't fire as hard on the times where it doesn't make it up the VUK (sometimes it barely pops at all).

It really has me stumped (and extremely irritated).

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

^ This ^...the first time I tried to remove one of these posts I mangled it pretty good with pliers trying to "unscrew" a post without threads
But the left gun popper issue...I hope someone else chimes in on this. It's my last issue with an otherwise perfectly running STTNG. For mine, it's not dirty (cleaned entire VUK and optos, replaced coil sleeve). It's not a worn plunger tip (replaced plunger). And it doesn't seem to be trajectory related as I have tried making slight adjustments to the coil stop. I swear it's somehow related to the power coming to the coil as I can actually feel that the coil doesn't fire as hard on the times where it doesn't make it up the VUK (sometimes it barely pops at all).
It really has me stumped (and extremely irritated).

Although not very likely, have you tried a new coil? For only about $12 it's worth trying just to rule it out.

#5 10 years ago

Do what I did. I had the same problem with a post on my Dr. Dude. I used a small drill bit on a portable drill, made a small hole and then applied a back-out tool and spun the broken screw out of the hole. You can buy these tools at most hardware stores or Sears. Save the post! Remove the broken screw.

#6 10 years ago

If youve removed the nut slide on an old rubber then lock some vice grips on it and twist/pull it out. I used this method to pull all the posts on my STTNG for tumbling.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from andypuk:

2. The left gun popper sometimes pops the ball out fine. Other times the ball will pop up, hit the metal roof and then drop back down. You then have to wait for the machine to find a ball. Is there anything to adjust to make this pop the ball out 100% of the time?
Thanks in advance!
Andy

The coil mounting hardware is only connected to the exiting weldment on one of four sides. Over the years of the coil firing, the weight when raising and lowering the playfield, possible use as a handle to grab onto if needed, and for me the number of times I probably banged my head or elbow on it... that gap on the other three sides can open or close a little changing the trajectory. I say bend it a little, it won't take much at all to make quite a bit of difference.

2 weeks later
#8 10 years ago

Thanks for all your info guys.

One more thing - does anyone know the code number for a replacement playfield post like the one circled in the photo?

Thanks!

#9 10 years ago

Bump...

Anyone know the part number? Would be most appreciated!

#10 10 years ago

wish I could help. sorry -- looks like a pain to replace.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-playfield-post-removal-and-left-gun-popper-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.