• Latest reply 12 years ago by IceHill
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_8052_(Custom).JPG
#1 12 years ago

Anyone bought any of these? The original plastics have a pinkish purple line on them. The line is purple on the ones I just got from MAD, not even close to the color on my originals. I know that there were color variations during a game's production, so I'm wondering if I'm seeing a natural variation or if the reproductions are really that far off. It isn't a huge deal, but it is pretty obvious when you see it compared to the originals.

I've made my own plastics before. I'm tempted to send them back. This makes me think I should just make them myself.

#2 12 years ago

I'm ashamed to admit this....but I had a similar problem on an IJ plastic from them once...and was instructed to remove the protective plastic covering. Viola!

Did you?

#3 12 years ago

Yes, I checked with the plastic covering removed from the front and the paper from the back. It is still very different from the original.

#4 12 years ago

Hmmm. I do know that the colors are off sometimes. My Mata Hari repro sets for instance. They look cool, but the purple is lighter in the repro set. With that said, I have read in the past that when they repro plastics, they do try to go for the original colors, and not the faded ones of today. That "might" explain the pinkish nature of your line when compared to the purple Obviously not the case on mine, where the repro is lighter.

#5 12 years ago

A buddy bought the klingon assistance and ferengi jackpot last summer from Marco and they were horrid, very fuzzy and grainy looking, the colors were all very far apart from the originals. We were tempted to send them back as well, but his were so busted he decided to keep them. They were really awful

Maybe it is something with the manufacturer of the STTNG plastics, has anyone had a good reproduction from any vendor??

#6 12 years ago

I have taken many a plastic protector film off of sling plastics....FT - sttng -dm- potc the ones i remember.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

A buddy bought the klingon assistance and ferengi jackpot last summer from Marco and they were horrid, very fuzzy and grainy looking, the colors were all very far apart from the originals.

I also bought a TZ Magna Flip plastic and although the colors match, the text is larger and is kind of fuzzy and not as crisp. I'm kicking myself for buying this one because it would have been simple to make as it is square. And I bought a TZ rocket plastic, it is fine and matches the original. So I'm 1 out of 4 on this plastic purchase. Not too bad of an average for MLB, but kind of sucky for pinball.

I'll probably post pics tomorrow so everyone can see that I'm not crazy and that the plastic film isn't the problem.

#8 12 years ago

Here's what I'm talking about. Overall the repro is darker and the artwork isn't as crisp and detailed, so it already stands out as looking different. But what really makes it stand out is the purple stripe where the original is more pink. The protective coverings have been peeled back, so any differences you are seeing is not due to anything obscuring the color or artwork.

Or am I being too picky about two pieces of plastic that cost me $36?

DSC_8052_(Custom).JPGDSC_8052_(Custom).JPG

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Or am I being too picky about two pieces of plastic that cost me $36?

Nope. Very informative thread. I would have expected them to look much closer to original, maybe better.

#10 12 years ago

I stack broken plastics. I put the new one underneath the old one so I look at the new colors only where the old were broken. Not a perfect soloution, but it has worked for me a few times.

#11 12 years ago

I see your point no need to make an already dark looking playfield look even darker. But I guess if your looking from the glass is half full standpoint at least they still have plastics for the game unlike TS which people were paying an obscene amount of money for.

#12 12 years ago

I have the same issue with my DW slingshot plastics, except the repros look lighter and more washed out instead of darker (the graphics are slightly different too). They still look better than a busted ass ones I took off, so whatcha gonna do?

#13 12 years ago

"They still look better than a busted ass ones I took off, so whatcha gonna do?" +1

I bought the slings from Mad, and they are lighter and look different from the flipper guide ones just below it.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

They still look better than a busted ass ones I took off, so whatcha gonna do?

In my case, the originals are in good enough shape that I'd rather glue them and use them, or make new ones myself. If this was an entire set where everything matched and was darker, I'd live with it. I sent an email to Mike to see if I can return them. If not, I'll see if any Pinsiders want to buy them.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Anyone bought any of these? The original plastics have a pinkish purple line on them. The line is purple on the ones I just got from MAD, not even close to the color on my originals. I know that there were color variations during a game's production, so I'm wondering if I'm seeing a natural variation or if the reproductions are really that far off. It isn't a huge deal, but it is pretty obvious when you see it compared to the originals.
I've made my own plastics before. I'm tempted to send them back. This makes me think I should just make them myself.

I had the same issue. Bought two plastics I needed and the pink to purple difference is very bad. I figured they were better than nothing, but the quality on these was very poor...especially for the price they charge.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

A buddy bought the klingon assistance and ferengi jackpot last summer from Marco and they were horrid, very fuzzy and grainy looking, the colors were all very far apart from the originals. We were tempted to send them back as well, but his were so busted he decided to keep them. They were really awful
Maybe it is something with the manufacturer of the STTNG plastics, has anyone had a good reproduction from any vendor??

Yep, this was me. Really poor, but like Pin_Crazed said, they were better than the busted up alternatives that were in the game.

#17 12 years ago

Same experience here when I had one...plastics especially slings terrible for this game

#18 12 years ago

Keep in mind your originals may have faded from their original colors. That doesn't account for graininess or line clarity. Probably not the vendor's fault as they just stock them from whoever prints them.

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from pinbob:

Keep in mind your originals may have faded from their original colors. That doesn't account for graininess or line clarity. Probably not the vendor's fault as they just stock them from whoever prints them.

It's definitely not the vendor's fault, but they are better than broken pieces.

#20 12 years ago

Not just that game but I bought a repro kit from Marco for my HS and the slings and lane guides had a little bit of red where it should be black lines on the edge, cant tell really at first glance unless i pointed it out to you, kinda like a touch up on pf. I'll live with it, but if my machine was collectors quality I wouldn't be buying repro kits right, ha,ha.

#21 12 years ago

I'm wondering if these aren't CPR repros. I had problems with plastics (by CPR) I bought for bad wizard where the orange was missing throughout the set

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repro-plastics-quality

// Error: Image 8189 not found //

#22 12 years ago

Yes, the wizard plastics are CPR's and have been documented quite a bit on RGP about the lack of orange.

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from pinbob:

Keep in mind your originals may have faded from their original colors.

Based on how the rest of the machine looks, I don't think it is fade. Production variations, maybe. Regardless, they look too out of place with the rest of the plastics that I'm not going to use them.

Mike said I could return them but I have not received an RMA yet.

#24 12 years ago

All the repro plastics I've purchased look like they were printed on an ink jet printer from 1991... and the colors are always off.

I bought three sets of repro sling plastics from three different places and they all look like garbage.

#25 12 years ago

Wow, the font doesn't even really match that closely. It's hard to see from the flash glare, but the original has a thinner, crisper font too. Not being too picky IMO.

#26 12 years ago

Had the same problem with mine STTNG. Bought repro plastics from England and they were WAY OFF in color and details. Same thing with pink - purple color! I never installed them and I regret buying them! Now I've glued the originals and it looks good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 15.00
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-plastics-from-mad-amusements and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.