Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

STTNG_AFTER_1000 (resized).jpg
STTNG_BEFORE_1000 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an LED kit for my #STTNG. I got my second machine in - a Monster Bash SE Remake, and sitting next to my STTNG it made STTNG look depressing, so that is what pushed me over the edge.

I ended up choosing the PinBallBulbs.com Ultimate LED Kit. I figured that it would be a great base to start with, and then I could swap out some individual lights and colors to my tastes once I saw them in person. I tried to research photos on-line, and depending on the camera and settings, it would be hard to judge. I've seen a few people custom order every bulb, and I wasn't ready to go that detailed yet!

I was afraid of getting kit that made things look way too blue, or purple as I saw in a lot of photos, but what I am realizing is - I think most of that is the cameras taking the photos - they have a really hard time rendering the colors and dynamic range like our human eye does.

The kit was fantastic! The instructions were fairly straight forward, and I only had to do a little head scratching, but overall it was pretty easy. It incredible how much life it pumped into the machine.. to be honest I think it is more well balanced, and brighter than the #MBr! It's just bright, happy, and rich with color. The playfield inserts are very crisp, there are washes of purples, blues, and greys/whites across the board - just inviting you to float in space and play.

Full disclosure, one circuit of my STTNG GI, was not working in the "before" photo, and one or two other bulbs were burnt out. I tried to keep my camera settings and ambient lighting as close as possible - even though the pics were shot a week apart. I ended up only using 3 of the spotlights (instead of 4) from the Kit, I thought there was too much light shining down near the flippers, it kept pulling my eye down there. I also covered up all but 2 of the LED lights in the drain under the apron with electrical tape.. the 8 lights they have in there is just way to much in my opinion - wasn't balanced with the rest of the field.

I'm not sure if this slider before/after will embed in the message board here, but I will try, it's pretty nifty:

COMPARISON SLIDER
https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=436e23f6-9594-11ea-a879-0edaf8f81e27

If the slider doesn't work for you, you can just look at the images attached to this post. I found the slider works great on phones.. if you open in a browser window on your desktop instead, scale the browser window down smaller, then refresh the slider, and it won't be so gigantic.

STTNG_AFTER_1000 (resized).jpgSTTNG_AFTER_1000 (resized).jpgSTTNG_BEFORE_1000 (resized).jpgSTTNG_BEFORE_1000 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from BradVR4:

I got my second machine in - a Monster Bash SE Remake, and sitting next to my STTNG it made STTNG look depressing, so that is what pushed me over the edge.

Funny, I just got an MBr-SE, and noticed the same thing with my Whitewater - it now looks pretty sad (and I never thought it did before). I haven't switched to LEDs on it yet, but I probably will soon.

So did you have to add an OCD board and such? Any problems with flickering and such?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 64.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-pinballbulbscom-ultimate-led-kit-before-after-slider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.