IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tonyf1965.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6119 2 years ago

I just joined the next generation club a few weeks ago. I got this cool alternative translite off eBay.

54919DD9-ACAB-42F2-9CBA-46E9148A0BB2 (resized).jpeg54919DD9-ACAB-42F2-9CBA-46E9148A0BB2 (resized).jpegEE424833-4D3F-48F0-A648-2B9AB4296143 (resized).jpegEE424833-4D3F-48F0-A648-2B9AB4296143 (resized).jpeg
#6122 2 years ago

Yes, those pop up caps look nice. Kinda hard to see on this game.

#6141 2 years ago

I love both kinds of those bright caps. I have some on Road Show and TZ and White Water.

#6154 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Warp 9.9 bitches. Only took 2 years.
[quoted image]

I thought it was just me that ended up with project machines.

#6213 2 years ago

Just wanted to add about any sheathing on turret wires. You can use tubing slice down the side of tubing. And put a few cable ties on it to kind of close it back up/cover wires and you don’t even have to mess with the connectors. Just an option to protect the wires. So many nice people here on pinside. Tons of help. For everyone.

#6222 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Hi Guys - I am nearing the end of my restore - a double bonus because that means I can play Royal rumble again - it has spent the last week's covered with what feels like 20 tons of metal parts and ramps....
I have lost the screws holding the cannon covers on. My box full of metric screws aren't right - can anybody let me know the size or a link to the screws? I can't believe 8 screws are going to stop me...

Marcos is best place for screw and hardware. They print a sticker on each bag. The size and length of screws. Instead of just a part number. They also have the best most complete search engine for parts.

#6230 2 years ago

Is the connector on power board In back box burnt?

#6304 2 years ago
Quoted from RellikJM:

ST:TNG takes special slingshot switches. If the new ones aren’t correct they short out on the cannon mechanisms. All of the terminals need to come off of the side instead of the bottom. I’m not 100% sure but I don’t think the correct switches are available anymore.
Regarding the wiring it shouldn’t matter as long as the diode is correctly installed and the wires are correct with respect to the diode.

I just used one from Action pinball to fix my STNG. I had no problems. Works great. Cheaper looking than original. Original one rivets fell out.
True these guys were the only ones that had these in stock. Should probably order some extra ones. Maybe Steve Young (PR) has some?

#6306 2 years ago

This game doesnt seem to do error dots. I had 2 switches stuck on and my game, didn't know it. I am just getting over to many balls in shooter lane. Game acts a bit crazy. Check your wires on left side bundle right by opts control PCB. I had a broken wire. Wires get caught and broken there.

#6318 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This is an easy fix. Machine screw and nut with loctite purchased from any local hardware store on the planet.

I try to keep the hacs to a minimum. Then I only have to fix it once, hopefully.

#6323 2 years ago

I only bought just one. Yes, I too like Marcos. They are out. Here is both. This pic looks the same.

action (resized).pngaction (resized).png
#6350 2 years ago

Yes, the lithium batteries is an easy cheep fix and keep original look. After 5 or 6 years in all my machines. Only had to replace 1 or 2 batteries thas it.

#6353 2 years ago

Energizer bunny lithium. They are silver in color. They say stuff like 20 years shelf life.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
1 week later
#6475 2 years ago

I love all the nice helpful people on Pinside. Like the family I always wanted.
I just did the tie back wire mod. Thanks everybody.

1 week later
#6499 2 years ago

I know your problem sounds different. I had a few rows of lights out. In my back box. It was loose connection wire idc connector.
Try wiggling the wires I don’t remember which connector it was. It was a 11 pin IDC connector bottom of power board. I put new connector in. All good now.

#6517 2 years ago

Yes, it helps. I have one. Around $10 bucks. Pinball life.

#6530 2 years ago

Sounds like bridge rectifiers, and caps to me. I think it is your 5v dropping. It is the famous reset issue. Your power board needs work.

#6533 2 years ago

My opinion yes, for sure fix the board. No need to bypass or add something because you have problem. I think it a couple caps and 2 bridge rectifiers, fixes it.
Someone may even sella kit nowadays.

3 weeks later
#6587 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Romulin ale? Bones, isn’t that illegal? I only use it for medicinal purposes.

Ya, that’s fine. I only use vodka and Miller lite for madisenale purchases too.

3 weeks later
#6683 2 years ago

Most of my machine came with lock tight on flipper parts.(B/W). I must have been first one to work on flippers.
I hardly ever put it on myself. Side note. Gottlieb pins use so much it can be hard to take stuff apart.
Gottlieb machines are built like a tank. I did read on previous thread. If you have trouble getting the screws out. Heat them up with solder iron.

#6687 2 years ago

Well I really don’t see much posted on. Very strange. This issue with Star Trek the next generation. Anyway take one of the screws out of opto Control board. Swing it towards the center of the machine as much as you can. The wires for the optos get caught on that pin on left side when play field gets lifted. That darn harness is just to close to the left side of of playfield.

2 weeks later
#6784 2 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

I am trying to work trough this list made by Pin_Guy
The game did not have the tieback mod and fried a coil and the board. new board and coil is in the game.
Here is the checklist:
In order to properly diagnose this problem you should perform testing on all parts listed above with power off:
1) You should read a short between the +50V TP (TP6) on the power board and J4-1 CHECK
2) You should NOT have a short between J4-1 (50V) and J4-7 (GND) CHECK
3) With the J4 cable removed, the coils should measure around 10 ohms each between the Pin 1 of the J4 cable and solenoids at pins 2, 4, and 5; and 5 ohms at pin 6.
4) The transistors should have high resistance between J4-7 (GND) and the solenoids connectors on J4 pins 2-6 with the cable removed CHECK
5) The blocking diodes should pass a diode test between J4-1 (+50V) and the solenoid connectors on J4 pins 2-6 with the cable removed CHECK
If the above tests do not ALL pass, powering on the machine could result in secondary failures as mentioned above.
Any suggestions on what to test next? i do not get the readings on
3) With the J4 cable removed, the coils should measure around 10 ohms each between the Pin 1 of the J4 cable and solenoids at pins 2, 4, and 5; and 5 ohms at pin 6.
my readings is way off. am i using the multimeter wrong?
please educate me

I did my machine when I got it 3 months ago. Hope it helps. Did my first led kit vs custom. Not quite as perfect. A lot cheaper and faster. Don’t tell anyone.

4 weeks later
#6961 2 years ago

I had my power board out. I did not do a good of labeling the wires. Can someone please let me know where this connector goes? The connector with 2 black wires.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#6963 2 years ago

Thanks I got it. I am having strange
problem I have a few GI lights out upper inline, lower pop bumper, center 1,2,3, lane. Looks like connector 121 is GI. The wires on connector look fine and I wiggled the wires. Did not help. I know it sucks but any direction would help. Maybe the power board got flexed when I pulled it in and out.

#6964 2 years ago

I am having one of those bad luck weeks as I have 2 machines down with hard problems for me. The games are really fun when they work great.

#6969 2 years ago

Thanks, for some guidance. It is a fun game. The turrets or probe launchers are awesome. My plungers on probe launchers were getting stuck out once in a while. I put longer cool sleeve’s in there plenty of room. Has not done it since.

#6982 2 years ago

Had some GI lights out. 3 days of wiggling the wires and scratching my head. Board swipe from another machine. And finally. On connector 120 I think. Finality a wire fell off. Fixed it. Bam all the lights are all working again.

1 month later
#7115 2 years ago

Just trying to help. Is the solenoid tight against stop and bracket, is there any play or movement, up and down? Is the coil sleeve new? Was it hard to install? Is the solenoid new? If the coil sleeve was really hard to slide in the coil maybe swollen.

#7117 2 years ago

Ok, I would start with new coil sleeve.

2 months later
#7456 2 years ago

I am scarred for life now, thanks. Thank goodness. I changed my translite.

FF136B22-C92E-4837-B272-D9E1304565A1 (resized).jpegFF136B22-C92E-4837-B272-D9E1304565A1 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#7489 2 years ago
Quoted from Days:

- Judge Dreed
- Indy Williams
- Star Trek NG
- Twillight Zone
I have Indiana Jones and STNG and i would loved to have the Judge Dreed too, but , lack of space at home
And Twillight Zone is a good pinball machine too of course.
Some nice mentions to the art of :
- Eclipse
- Space Invaders
- Paragon
- Time Line
- Viper
That if i had infinit space i would have also this 5 old wide body

Hold it. Popeye is a wide body too.
It is a great game. Great theme. Lots of shots. Smile factor while playing, priceless. Let’s not forget Road Show.
Great game, lots of shots. Fun and zany, theme.

#7491 2 years ago

Yes, I have seen some of the comments. The people actually own one in good working order know. It is a action game. Just like any pinball machine. If it is not well maintained, when you play it. It may seem like it is not as fun as some others games.

3 months later
#7858 1 year ago

Things to try for canons sticking fix. Lower profile nuts by the plunger, it is comes to close to the nuts. Longer coil sleeves. At the end of the sleeves scrape the inside edge of sleeve with knife. Stretch the springs out a bit. Lightly sand black plastic end of the plunger. All will help. Try all 5 if you haven't yet.

2 weeks later
#7910 1 year ago

I just put in a new subway in mine. Not a great fit. But it works and ball does not get stuck. Looks nice.

#7920 1 year ago

I was just looking at PP website. I see they have a new improved software for STNG. Does anyone know what changes are in the polished code?
I recently bought the CPU that was more LED friendly. Did it help (just a little bit).

#7927 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

May I ask what you are referencing on the STTNG Code? LX-7 is the most current and you should have it (required for color dmd btw), however that code has been out there for years. I went to PP and that is all that was listed. Did you see something different?
Thanks

Thanks for chiming in. STNG is not on the list as of yet.

Planetary Pinball, the sole licensee for Williams Electronics Games, Inc is proud to announce that we will start to release software upgrades for Williams™ and Bally™ pinball machines.

Ever since WMS closed the pinball division in 1999, the games developed and manufactured by them have been in high regard with players and collectors of pinball machines. And games are continuously being restored to like-new condition. Thanks to a steady supply of new and improved parts, from small mechanical and electrical units, to circuit boards and playfields. Parts made available by Planetary Pinball and domestic and international collaborators. Recent years have also given us a number of new innovations. Bringing the games of yesteryears into a more contemporary look and feel.

Software is the heart and soul of a pinball machine. While a lot of effort went into making software for games, the framework, rules design and special effects, on some games the time has shown a few shortcomings. These might be bugs, like incorrect scoring, game progression being lost, modes being messed up etc. Or rooted in the fact that games were developed with coin drop play on locations in mind. In some cases making them less than ideal for the more contemporary use of home play and high level competition play.

The goal of software upgrades is not to make fundamental changes or redesigns. Neither to upgrade display graphics or sound. The goal is to make minor tweaks and fixes, while keeping the spirit of the game intact. And to strive for having rule changes under the users control via new and expanded feature adjustments.

Bram Stoker's Dracula
Williams, 1993
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Bally, 1992
Judge Dredd
Bally, 1993
Junk Yard
Williams, 1996
Mousin' Around!
Bally, 1989
Radical!
Bally, 1990
Road Show
Williams, 1994
Tales of the Arabian Nights

#7928 1 year ago

Also here a quote from Soren.

Let me demystify the thing about LED lamp ghosting. It is not because of 60Hz/50Hz AC mains power. It is true the GI is AC and some LEDs may flicker from this. But this is to be solved by using LED that can compensate for that. In other words, a hardware solution.

The lamp matrix lamps are pulsed as well. But from a DC source and due to the matrix design. So pulse duty cycle and duration is unrelated to the AC mains power. It may make LEDs flicker as well. And better LEDs may be immune to this.

The ghosting however is a whole different issue and cause. And may be visible to LEDs that are otherwise good at not appearing as flickering. It is because the original lamp matrix control system at Williams was having an overlap of the next row status and the current column strobe. So short that incandescent lamps do not respond to this to any significance. But enough that it, with the response time of the transistors, can cause LED lamps to appear as a soft glow.

The good people at Williams realised this and updated the procedure in 1995. And I like to believe it was during the development of Indy 500. It has LED lamps on the switch matrix. This exact procedure is the one implemented in these upgrades to Creature and Road Show. And same will be ported to future upgrades of other games using the older procedure.

See this short video for a demonstration. And please note. Flickering and ghosting may still appear. Due the condition of a game (power supply, control logic, transistors) and quality of the LEDs used.

1 month later
#8071 1 year ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

This might not be STTNG specific, but lately my color DMD looses color and goes white with some streaky lines through as well. It usually happens after a couple games, but when I turn the pin off and back on, it is all good again. Connectors seem all fine. Any idea?

I had a once in a great while intermittent no boot up on my color DMD (Popeye). While looking over their website.
To buy one for a different game.
I saw they had a software update, that fixed that same problem.

2 weeks later
#8148 1 year ago

Good job folks. Lots of help. Makes our nice games, look and play their best.

1 month later
#8312 1 year ago

Funny

tires (resized).jpgtires (resized).jpg
4 months later
#8938 1 year ago

No, worries. I have noticed the people on this thread for this game. Are super nice.

1 week later
#8997 12 months ago

LEDs, if you are in a hurry, I guess a kit can be ok. For me the funnest part of customizing your pin is making your pin. Your own creative personal work of art. Is custom LEDs. Play around with colors/styles of LEDs. Using your own imagination.

61F45D40-569D-400B-B84D-0D12BD21812D (resized).jpeg61F45D40-569D-400B-B84D-0D12BD21812D (resized).jpegFCBA7CC8-6E1C-47BE-AE8E-287D67A1051F (resized).jpegFCBA7CC8-6E1C-47BE-AE8E-287D67A1051F (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.99
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tonyf1965.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=tonyf1965 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.