IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timerider.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#631 7 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

Any advice on the lights? I find it odd that it is both cannons and only both cannons.

Page 92 of PDF manual is the Lamp Matrix. (2-40 in paper manual)
They share the common Row 2. Are any other lamps in that row out?
If not... trace the Red/Black wire that is common to the two lamps to see where it is probably broken.

1 year later
#1934 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Cracked solder joint would "activate" the flipper though?

In theory, yes.
An opto switch works by interrupting the light beam from the sender to the receiver LEDS. (the receiving LED not getting "light", when the flipper button is press, is what activates the flipper circuit).
So if the Sender LED's solder joint is intermittent, the sender LED goes dark... basically same as the flipper button being pushed. Causing the Receiving LED to activate the circuit.
(that make sense??? LOL)

Personally... I'd also check for a magnetized coil stop. (plunger is sticking to the coil stop after a flip).

3 months later
#2166 6 years ago
Quoted from Hoser:

Thanks,
Then I'll just replace the switch and report back!

The spinner switch on STTNG runs thru the Fliptronics flipper board. You may want to read thru this thread too, might be helpful: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-spinner-not-working-eos-errors

3 months later
#2332 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm not sure there is anything wrong if does it after a full rotation.
Mine does something similar as a "time out" for not pulling the trigger manually.
I think it's part of the software to autoplung after so long.
Others can chime in if they know differently.

Ditto.. you only get the first pass to shoot. On the return, it dribbles the ball out. I always assumed this was normal. (they don't want you taken multiple swings back & forth to line up your shots.)

3 weeks later
#2366 5 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Well, this is odd: I have an error in my service mode messages to check: switch left upper flipper button, F8
We don't have such a flipper on STTNG, and the manual shows F8 is unused.
Any ideas? I'm on ROM LX-5, if it helps.
Thanks

Check this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-issues
Generally, it's the opto board dirty, at the left flipper button.

(semi-related topic... the spinner runs thru the in-used Fliptronics input, in place of that 4th upper left flipper)

4 months later
#2584 5 years ago

If you haven't already, go get the manual from IPDB: https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=star+trek+next&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

1. - completely normal.

2. - normally the game "stages" the balls in various trough/VUK areas (and Borg ship?)
Best to go into Test menu, - T.18 Clear Out Balls Test (close coin door to enable voltage for solenoids to eject balls)
Catch the balls as they come out and make sure you indeed have 6 in the machine.

3. - a) there is a single drop target located/hidden in upper-loop.
Page 89 of manual -- #18 is the target.
See page 79 of manual for assy.

b) Page 95 for switch locations. (switch may be showing closed because there's a ball there?)

c) There is no upper-left flipper. F8 is not used, per the switch matrix on page 94. (unless your spinner is not registering, you can ignore F8. But the spinner uses the circuit on the Fliptronics board... so if spinner is not registering points... it may be something deeper.)

1 week later
#2635 5 years ago
Quoted from scooter8416:

ID: #2 / .0900" / 2.28mm
OD: #n/a / .2165" / 5.50mm
Height: #27 / .1140" / 2.89mm
Been looking not easy to find one, even somewhat close in size.

I've never looked at my cannon gearboxes... are they MPC / MultiProducts Company, Inc. assemblies?
If so, maybe contact them.
https://www.multiproducts.com/

Or, contact Steve @ ThePinballResource. He does gear/motor repairs. (for MPC) Maybe he has one to sell.

1 month later
#2686 5 years ago
Quoted from VZSpyder:

STTNG has always been the black sheep in my collection. I could never hit any of the shots with any reliability, never get any flow going, forget the Delta ramp. I've been doing a round of maintenance on all my pins lately and I turned some attention towards trying to figure out why my STTNG is so clunky. Well... I think I may have found out why.
Look at my flippers... They are significantly "fatter" at the tips than any of my other pins. I looked through all the images in this thread and it seems pretty clear that my flippers are not stock nor correct. I'm assuming this was a mod by a previous owner.
It had never occured to me before that there could be different sizes of flippers! Where do I get replacements, and how do I make sure they are the right ones? And what rubber should I put on them?
I've always wanted to like this pin but could never get anywhere with it. Hopefully fixing this will finally let me enjoy it! Thanks for your help.
[quoted image]

Those appear to be classic Bally/Stern 1970's flippers.
You want Williams...
https://www.pinballlife.com/williams-logo-flipper-bat-and-shaft-assembly-white.html

(don't forget the 3rd flipper too)

As for rubber... that can be personal preference... but size-wise, you want standard 1-1/2" x 1/2" .
https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-rubber.html

1 year later
#4913 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Reflow the header pins and the leads to the bulb holder. That should get you going again.

Yep... especially since the pin that feed that flasher is visibly cracked. Reflow them all.

pins (resized).pngpins (resized).png
#4915 3 years ago
Quoted from Timerider:

Yep... especially since the pin that feed that flasher is visibly cracked. Reflow them all.

Wow... that was weird. My STTNG club pages we're refreshing, so I never saw the dozen or so newer posts, including those whom already answered & the OP's confirmation of fix.

Doh!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timerider.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=timerider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.