IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spidey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

The correct color is Teal. I used PinballCenter based in Germany. They sell Teal. So does B.C. Pinball. I put Blue 906 flashers in my BORG ship. The plastic window covers are all blue on my BORG ship. I put A fast color CoinTaker changer under the WORM HOLE looks cool. Also The start mission I used a Slow Fade color changer CoinTaker. All of the mission inserts are a different color. I think it looks awesome. Due note that ST:TNG does suffer from mild LED ghosting.

Get the non ghosting ROM. PM me if you need a contact.

2 years later
#282 8 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

I'm interested in the pinsound board. Does it really make a big difference? Also like the headphone jack cause sometimes I stay up late playing and that would help.
Non-ghosting are critical. The STTNG I just picked up needs several LEDs swapped because they ghost and it drives me crazy!
Can you hear the fan from the PC power supply? Or does the speakers overpower that?

Just get the non ghosting ROM and keep your led's. Or get fancy with an LED OCD board.

2 months later
#471 7 years ago
Quoted from rdbronko73:

Pretty sure this is not a stock piece on a STTNG. Could someone please post a picture of what is supposed to be there? Thanks.

You can get a new set of the clear plastics from pinbits.
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_36&products_id=259

#479 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I'm fairly certain that piece isn't included in the clear plastics set.
EDIT:
I confirmed that I don't have one of these in my "old plastics" bag so I had to use the original during the restoration. If you look on Marco Pinball http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-1803-1 to see whats included the full kit (clear and silkscreened), you will see that plastic ... and one other of the clear plastics isn't included in the kit.

Yeah but that's Marco not Pinbits. I got the Pinbits kit and it has everything.

1 week later
#536 7 years ago

Hakko FX888D

#540 7 years ago

Lift the playfield, go into switch test, and jiggle wires and listen for switch test activations. I had wires come loose on the molex connector right at the trough opto board.

#560 7 years ago
Quoted from ibjames:

The upper flipper didn't change, I can't get it to work. The initial test doesn't throw a code.. I'm going to order a switch and put it in and see how I fare (any suggestions on where to go to get this?) I don't know what is going on with the upper flipper, in tests it just goes through the test and it doesn't do anything. I don't have any blown fuses

Re-seat the ribbon cables and molex connectors going to the Fliptronics board. Assume you checked those fuses as well, there's one for each flipper. UR is F901. Note that F902 is not used so is a spare. May have to take that board out and use a multi-meter in diode check and probe middle to outer pins on the transistors Q2 (big) and Q7 (small).

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

To verify; with your PF slide out and resting on the lockdown bar... wiggle the idc connector while in that switch test. If I'm right; you'll see the optos go wonky again.

Exactly what I suggested earlier. The wires on the molex connector going to the trough board receiver is flaky. You can see all the opto switches cycling. You'll need to use your fancy schmancy new soldering iron to splice in some new wire segments, then connect them using this tool:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1590

You have to push pretty firmly for the wire to engage in the connector.

3 months later
#770 7 years ago

It's safer to not lock a ball into the Borg ship. It's fun, but it screws you up when you start multiball. Maybe you can live catch it if you're really focused but it's easier to keep balls continuously feeding to the left flipper.

#775 7 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I can't resist arming the Borg, even though its to my own detriment. Having them shoot back at me never gets old.

For sure, I always do it too. I just hope I can recover in multiball but I usually don't.

Just to share, my best mb combo ever was having a ball trapped on both flippers with no shields. First hit the spinner to raise the shields, then hit the center scoop for a jackpot, then hit the Delta ramp for a 3x jp. I'll let you know in 15 years when I pull off that one again.

2 years later
#2438 5 years ago

I use the AA Energizer Lithiums as well, STTNG and IJ. And 9V lithiums are also perfect for smoke detectors. I used to have those things go off at 3AM. No more. They cost about 6x as much as the alkaline but last 10x as long. But the biggest benefit is not changing them in you entire house every year.

1 month later
#2497 5 years ago
Quoted from Bdkorn:

Just turned on my machine after being off for over a month and the display is not working. Only one line is showing (see picture). Any advice on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
- Brian
[quoted image]

Re-seat all the ribbon cables.

3 months later
#2782 5 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

Another question: did the original trough opto board set (both sides) have rubber grommets that inserted into the mounting holes? I have 2 sets of aftermarket product here (long story) One has much bigger mounting holes drilled than the other. The old boards I took out had small holes, no grommets.

No, original boards did not have rubber grommets. That's an upgraded aftermarket feature to resist vibration that causes traces to break on the resistors.

2 months later
#3032 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Thanks for that link, it’s very helpful. I never ran across that one in all of my searches.
I haven’t been able to find any info on this ROM. Should it be reflashed to a newer version for any reason? Any worthwhile updates since 1993?[quoted image]

Looks like it's the latest with the anti ghosting patch. So you're all good.

1 year later
#4482 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Correct. As I stated above. However you CAN sometimes hear it in modes. Like search the galaxy for examples. But it’s pretty rare.

But only if you've been to warp factor 9 before in that game.

Also, you can start Warp 9 during a mode, including the Delta ramp. So if you think you just nailed that shot to collect an artifact for Worm Hole or Save the Galaxy, you didn't. The mode is put on hold until you finish Warp 9, then you will resume and still have to hit the Delts ramp. So be careful when starting either of those 2 modes.

4 months later
#4859 3 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

True story... after owning a STTNG for years, and spending countless hours getting it "perfect", I (stupidly) traded it for a late model (Spike 2) Stern about 8 weeks ago.
Well, the Stern is nice - cool screen, deep code, sweet light show...but it just didn't have the "charm" that STTNG has. I missed it immediately and was sad to have done the trade.
However, sometimes, fate smiles upon you. Received a call from the new STTNG owner who needed cash for GnR and he offered me right of first refusal. So, I immediately drove 5 hours each way AGAIN to buy her back (still have the Stern in the lineup).
Happy to say my absence from the club was brief and that now I am here to stay!

Lesson learned. Never get rid of it. I'm working on 18 years. After all these years I just recently got GI OCD (got LED OCD several years ago). It's primarily used in Borg multiball but it's worth it for that alone.

There's some really satisfying shots on this game that newer games can't touch, like the Picard Maneuver. I've done it during Borg multiball and gotten "the Picard Maneuver, nicely done" stacked with the Borg explosion, and then the "super jackpot" callout.

4 months later
#5483 3 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeDanger:

Hey folks, I'm finding the flippers continue to be weak and inconsistent, making it very difficult to make the delta ramp shot. I've rebuilt power sections on the main power and the Fliptronics boards (previously posted here). I've rebuilt the flippers as well with the kit. Voltages seem ok, but I'm willing to measure one more time if it helps diagnosing here. I'm debating what else to look at or try.
What are your thoughts on:
-replacing Fliptronics with a repro? maybe the rest of the ics are tired and not behaving well?
-replacing the 11629 coils with 17636? - note here that the bottom left is a 17636, the two right coils are 11629s; I was tempted to swap the delta ramp flipper with the bottom left to see if there'd be a difference
-when I rebuilt the flippers the kit didn't bring the flipper bushings - they're not floating around but its not perfectly tight, wondering if this could be causing a weak feel.
-have the trough boards ever caused problems for flipper behavior? They've been switching fine in test but I did notice that one of the boards have been replaced and the other worked on by previous owners. Toying with idea of getting reproductions for this too.
Thanks!

Are the flippers always weak or do they get weak as the game goes on? Do the coils feel really hot when they’re weak? A common problem of weak flippers is the flipper opto boards. If they’re intermittent they cause they primary coil to fire when the flipper is up and the hold coil is supposed to be on. Primary coil gets hot and weak. The whole reason for having two coils is to not overheat the main coil.
Go into switch test and hold the flipper buttons in and see if you get flipper switches firing.

1 week later
#5546 2 years ago
Quoted from Redwizard000:

Just got a STTNG machine yesterday. One of my favorite machines.
I am going to need to expand that bedroom if I expect to get any more machines in there...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I see a ColorDMD in your future

#5555 2 years ago

Definitely agree on Pinsound+shaker. I took the Shark ultimate mix and replaced the main theme with the one from ST The motion(less) picture, since that was what the STTNG theme was derived from. I may post my version to the pinsound forum.
Also GI OCD is a must for great dimming effects in Borg multi ball.

2 weeks later
#5658 2 years ago
Quoted from Supermans:

I'm looking to add a shaker motor to my ST TNG, anyone have any guidance about going about buying and installing one? Thanks

Buy the Pinsound kit plus the shaker motor as they work together. They have installation instructions and it's very easy. And either get your own speaker upgrade or get theirs. If you buy your own speakers like an 8" sub, just pull out that fiberboard plate in the cab and use wood screws to attach it.

https://www.pinsound.org/

#5661 2 years ago
Quoted from Redwizard000:

I see people talk about those all the time. What do those shaker motors actually do? I assume they shake or vibrate? Is that good for the mechanical parts, the 30 year old solder joints, the loose wood screws? I have wondered about that. Is that a silly thing to worry about?

It creates a rumble effect of the game, much like a game controller would but on a larger scale. It's not really a super violent shake so I doubt it's going to work anything loose. In STTNG it fires on a Warp factor, or various other events in the game. I used to have the Pinbits shaker many years ago but it was too rough so I took it out. I like this one from Pinsound as it gives you some nice feedback without being over the top.

1 week later
#5709 2 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

Well I found this: A1 25 Allow Dim Illumination The game program dims the General Illumination for special effects and during the Attract Mode. YES Dim the General Illumination during the Attract Mode. NO Do Not dim the General Illumination.
and it was set to yes. Do all the bulbs need to be changed out to #44/47s? I still have the pop bumpers and under the kickers that I have not changed out.

GI dimming is used at the beginning of Borg multiball when you're using the left cannon. Makes it even trickier to aim correctly! I never knew this until I finally broke down and bought GI OCD, many years after I had fully upgraded the GI to LED. Had GI dimming disabled for the longest time.

The GI is cycling bright to dark, similar to Seance mode in TAF, if you've ever seen it.

1 week later
#5746 2 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Yeah I really just don't like Titan rubbers at all. They completely change the feel of a game. I'm more of a traditionalist, I suppose. I want to play the game as intended from the designer off the factory floor.
I'm not opposed to mods or whatever, but I personally only install them if they're aesthetic and do not affect gameplay.

I never have flipper hop and I have black rubber. Maybe post a pic and I'll compare. It's possible you can loosen the lane guides, adjust them slightly and tighten them back.

#5749 2 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Funny you mention that. I just emailed him. He said he would need a set of original guides to scan, but that he could make them. Does anybody have a set they can send him? I will pay for the shipping.

I tried that with no luck unfortunately. I think they're just too old and worn out. Perhaps I can drill the holes a bit bigger and make the adjustment. I may try that if nobody has an extra set to send to Cliffy.

I have originals you can have.
EDIT: I can send them to Cliff

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#5750 2 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

I have originals you can have.
EDIT: I can send them to Cliff[quoted image]

I wonder if the slight curve at the ends of mine are worn or by design.

3 weeks later
#5931 2 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

These are the original lane guides from my STTNG. I replaced them after about a month with the extended lane guides.
[quoted image]

I bought the original extended lane guides from the someone in the The Netherlands back in the rgp days.

Quoted from Trindawg:

Yeah that’s a better price then what I was seeing on pinsound’s web site

They must have just raised prices because I bought direct for $369.95 on the 16th. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a price hike at Planetary soon.

1 week later
#5994 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Thanks!
I may drop incandescent back in just those inserts.

No.
I made that mistake. Go all LEDs in your GI and get GI OCD. At the start of Borg MB, when you’re playing the left cannon, all the GI is oscillating and it’s sweet. I had GI dimming turned off for years.... so dumb.

#6004 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Is there a list of the other unused callouts in STTNG? It would be great if any new code updates for the game end up using some of them as intended.

We need to get that quote, plus a few of the "silly ROM" quotes, in to the mix with Pinsound. Every time Picard says "We will never surrender!" I will say back "unless you pay us enough!" in my bad Picard impersonator voice.

#6005 2 years ago

So does anybody know of a way to actually pull the audio clips from the STTNG "Special X7" ROMs? I supposed you could install the vpinmame emulator and play the game and get it to play all the sound bytes during a game, and record them. But, they might be mixed with other music. Still though, I'm tempted to try this unless there's an easier way that somebody knows of.

#6008 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Download the audio package from the pinsound site and play with pinsound studio.

These are the sounds I want:

Maybe I can record the audio from YouTube.

#6009 2 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

These are the sounds I want:
Maybe I can record the audio from YouTube.

I do see a mix here that might be it: STTNG_Music_Levelling_SFXMIX_Special_ROMS.zip
I'll give it a shot...

EDIT: Yep that's it! You can see all the new quotes in the "voice" folder. Now to add these in to the STTNG_Ultimate.

#6030 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So I’ve upgraded to the pinsound and I’m loving it so far. Install was easy and pretty straightforward. Now I’m wanting to do something with my LEDs. I’ve noticed everyone talking about GI OCD and LED OCD. I can’t get both at the moment but can get one of them. Which should I get first?

GI OCD. Then get a patched ROM that eliminates ghosting of the inserts.

1 week later
#6139 2 years ago

Anybody install BriteCaps EVO? Thinking about getting them for IJ and STTNG. Obviously can only install 2 in STTNG.

https://www.pinballlife.com/britecaps-evo-pop-bumper-lighting.html?Category_Code=

1 week later
#6301 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

What is the best ROM version to run in STTNG? My game currently has LX7 in it now.

That is the latest but if you have LEDs in the inserts and don't have LED OCD, then get a ROM with the non-ghosting patch. Otherwise you will see some inserts flicker when they should be off.

#6356 2 years ago

Pro tip: Only use 9V lithiums in smoke detectors. They are both good for about 10 years. No more low battery alarms at 3am.

1 year later
#8351 1 year ago

Nice! Mine is similar, a little lighter.

3607ADC2-7F9D-4093-99BF-A8D2D7099F98 (resized).jpeg3607ADC2-7F9D-4093-99BF-A8D2D7099F98 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#8582 1 year ago
Quoted from holminone:

Check it. 22 year old boy 29 BILLION today! 17 artifacts. [quoted image]

Nice! But video mode artifacts make baby Jesus cry. House rules: skip the video mode
The game should really reset artifacts once you hit FF, otherwise scores get insane.

#8589 1 year ago

Op

Quoted from holminone:

I disagree but oh well. To me that would be full rinse and repeat and make second passes around as truncated and disappointing as the back nine on no good gophers. The reward for going around twice or even three times are multi billions in final frontier. The game caps out max shot value at 250 million in final frontier. But it’s nice to get a 4B pop for your kick ass efforts.

I hear ya, I do love the huge bonus on round 2, but since you can time out modes, you can take advantage of that. If you could modernize the rules, the artifacts could reset but you earn 2 on the 2nd round until you match the round 1 artifact count (so if you had 4 in round 1, then the first 4 modes in round 2 that you earn artifacts on give you a bonus artifact).
I also wish after Warp 9.9 that the Delta ramp gave you something valuable like a lot of points, or maybe the Picard Maneuver was worth 100M.

1 month later
#8709 1 year ago

Really looking forward to getting my EPROM updated!

Quoted from Deleenhe:

Often when I get a fast-moving ball down the left outlane, it beats the kickback, ie. by the time the kickback fires, the ball is already past it. The wire for the microswitch is at the bottom of the slot, see photo below.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Is this normal or should the switch be the other way around so the wire is at the top of the slot to trigger earlier? The switch appears to be mounted in it's original location, no extra holes above the slot. Is this a common experience? Do I need the wire bent differently?

It looks correct. It’s possible the switch has just gone bad and needs to be replaced.

3 weeks later
#8830 1 year ago

I tried installing an EEPROM that didn't work, and when I put my LX7 back in, the game locks up after about 1 minute. I did take the CPU board completely out but I believe I put all the cables back in place. Any ideas?

#8835 1 year ago

I believe I found the problem. Years ago I did a poor repair job on one of the large capacitors on the power driver board and I must have bumped it when removing cables. I pushed it back in and then I was able to play for a while. I had pulled the through hole copper connector out removing the old cap and had put a piece of solder in there as a substitute. Still not sure how to really fix it better.

1 week later
#8891 1 year ago

If you two bears don't stop fighting, I'm gonna get out the Panoplied stick! Don't say I didn't warn you. Now shut your corn hole and finish all kind of your homework.

2 months later
#9166 10 months ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I’ve also changed these quotes(with Patrick Stewart speech from various movies) on my Pinsound so that sometimes these say:
- "Captain's Log, supplemental: Q's latest visit proved to be BULLSHIT!"
- "Captain's Log, supplemental: While we have made significant discoveries, we must admit, I don’t do this for fun!"
- "Our experience in the final frontier was f#$% brilliant!”

We will NEVER surrender, unless you pay us enough.

3 weeks later
#9268 10 months ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

After all my issues ... now my left flipper is acting like a soggy noodle.

When it gets soggy, is the coil super hot compared to the other flipper coil? If so it's a bad flipper opto. Replace the board or the optos on the board.

1 week later
#9307 9 months ago

An artifact for Warp 9.9 and a big score would be great, but it already has a great animation sequence of the Enterprise so not sure how to put the two together.
Also “the Picard Maneuver” should be worth something decent.

9 months later
#10321 18 days ago

Had a great stack last night, Q and Borg MB. Always great when lock 3 is lit at the orbit and you start Q's Mission. Crazy thing is, after I dropped out of MB, I got 2 locks, with the 2nd being in the Borg ship. Should've focused and done the unthinkable, a second Borg MB in Q. Now I have a goal. Anyway, finished with I believe 1.27B in Q. Need a dedicated high score table for it!

2 weeks later
#10379 2 days ago
Quoted from Sjudkins:

I will be joining yall's awesome club tomorrow... Can't wait! This will be my first Wide Body. Its coming from the Original Owner (dude lives in a 3 Million Dollar home in rural Georgia...the padding behind all the targets still look new, this thing is pristine.) Ready to spend some dough on all the cool mods available for this game! Suggestions are welcome. (I AM going to read through all 208 pages pf this thread... it just may take me a few days...)
(I have already ordered a PIN2DMD screen and the LX-8 ROM.)

Takes some up close pics and post them! Congrats and welcome to the club.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 15.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spidey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=spidey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.