IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rkrall.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4779 3 years ago

Technical assistance needed. To start, my electrical skills are not the best so please dumb down any assistance you can help out with. My left cannon wasn't firing so i tracked down the well documented broken wire. While diagnosing, at one point with the game on, I bumped a metal piece with a piece of metal and the game reset. No biggie right lol. Booted up fine, no problem, soldered broken wires back together on the cannon and worked fine. I did notice afterwards that i had the violets crossed on the gun but it still worked. The game plays fine now, probably played 20 games (i did not swap the violets back) but now after it sits for an hour or so powered on (not while playing), J114 blows. The display says check 114 and 115 but only 114 blows.

So 2 questions :

A) Should i swap the violets back just so documentation matches or could this be causing the j114 issue (long shot)
B) What would be causing just 114 to blow after sitting for awhile turned on.

Thanks all!

#4781 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Yes. Re-solder the wires appropriately and report back. And doing the obvious is never the long shot! Quite the opposite actually. Those diodes and wires are precisely placed for a reason.

Excellent, put them back correctly and its been a few hours so far so good. (knocks on wood)

#4782 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Yes. Re-solder the wires appropriately and report back. And doing the obvious is never the long shot! Quite the opposite actually. Those diodes and wires are precisely placed for a reason.

No luck. Fuse blew again. Just J114. Any ideas ?

#4785 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

More information on this error message: F114 is your main power fuse tied to BR1 for generating your +18V DC lamps voltage AND your regulated 12V for the switch matrix; the error message that says "says check 114 and 115" is there because switch 24 named "Always Closed" isn't closed, this switch is actually a diode on the coin door interface board that tells the computer the status of the +12VR driving the switch matrix and is a critical fault if missing.
Start by measuring your lamp voltage at TP8, ideally use a min/max meter to measure this as a "fails over time" malfunctions is usually caused by a gradual heating of the fuse until it finally blows and could be the result of a the 18V decreasing over time or simply the 18V circuit drawing slightly more current then the fuse is rated for over a long period of time .
Do you have any insert lamps that are stuck on?

Amazing lead on the coin door reference. Found broken wire at door. I'm hoping that could have been it. Soldered up and testing.

#4788 3 years ago

Sadly the fuse blew again. I do have a possibly related light issue on the playfield 1 test, no bulbs light on that test and these two are out on the all illumination test. (Green white and green wires)

20201125_135452 (resized).jpg20201125_135452 (resized).jpg20201125_135458 (resized).jpg20201125_135458 (resized).jpg
#4797 3 years ago

STTNG drop target question. When shooting the drop target at the top, the "light lock" doesn't light. Is that a switch issue ? Drop target functions normally for up and down and everything looks in tact and clean underneath.

#4798 3 years ago
Quoted from Rkrall:

Sadly the fuse blew again. I do have a possibly related light issue on the playfield 1 test, no bulbs light on that test and these two are out on the all illumination test. (Green white and green wires)
[quoted image][quoted image]

Also, i think this issue was an undersized fuse, j114 or f114 calls for an 8 amp fuse and i was using a 5 amp by mistake.

#4800 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Sounds like a drop target switch problem. Go into switch test mode and trigger the drop target. You'll know if the switch is functioning normally.

Thanks, this actually looks like it might be a bad spring, not pulling the drop target down quick enough!

#4802 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The speed the drop target comes down shouldn't matter, however sometimes the drop target will become gummed up and just needs to disassembled and cleaned for it to slide easier. Make sure the switch arm is below the plastic tab on the plastic drop target
[quoted image]
Also you should have a plastic actuator guide (number 24 on the diagram and also shown with the red arrow), which keeps the switch arm correctly in place
[quoted image]

Great. I'll check that out too, I think it's a combination of dirty and the weak spring that caused it to not make it the the whole way down to trip the switch. I latched the spring tighter for now and it's working like a charm.

2 weeks later
#4872 3 years ago

Hello, still having random top drop target issues (ball lock on trigger fire doesn't always count lock but does light lock). Switch status when game starts is closed and not up. I believe that is my issue. Can someone confirm that switch should be open and the drop target in the upright position when starting a game? If so, do I have a bad switch or maybe bad connection?

TIA, I'm losing my mind !

#4874 3 years ago

To add to this, holodeck doesn't launch either at times when plunged. Both always work when shot with flipper!

#4878 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Lock will be lit by dropping the drop target (switch #57), whereas getting the actual lock or launching holodeck is triggered by the top hole opto (switch #45). Can you check that switch 45 is working - in switch test mode drop a ball in the top hole, you will get multiple switches being triggered as the ball goes through the subway however the first switch triggered should be 45. I'm wondering whether the game is compensating for a failed switch during game play, but not at ball launch.

Quoted from Manny65:

Lock will be lit by dropping the drop target (switch #57), whereas getting the actual lock or launching holodeck is triggered by the top hole opto (switch #45). Can you check that switch 45 is working - in switch test mode drop a ball in the top hole, you will get multiple switches being triggered as the ball goes through the subway however the first switch triggered should be 45. I'm wondering whether the game is compensating for a failed switch during game play, but not at ball launch.

Confirmed, 45 registers everytime as the ball enters

#4879 3 years ago
Quoted from Rkrall:

Confirmed, 45 registers everytime as the ball enters

All optos register as well

#4883 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Sounds like a bad or poorly alined switch on the drop target to me.

Thanks I'm almost ready to rip that entire thing out and clean/resolder everything!

#4885 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Thought you had already fixed your drop target - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/97#post-5983872
If it is still causing issues, then the easiest way to work on it is to remove the entire mech and give it the full once over

I thought I did too. Going to rip it out then.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 63.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
$ 64.99
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rkrall.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=rkrall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.