IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redpotion.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8104 1 year ago

Hi! I just purchased a ST:TNG pinball machine and this is my FIRST pinball machine. Unfortunately it has a problem preventing me from playing. As soon as I turn on the machine (switch at the bottom):

- all the balls get kicked out one by one
- there is a loud thumping noise that repeats continuously

Video of the issue - https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5z1d432ng6rv5z/Video%202022-09-20%2C%205%2043%2040%20PM.mov?dl=0

If the coin door is open before I turn on the machine the above two don't happen until I try and start the game.

From speaking with someone more knowledgeable than me, they mentioned as a first step I should inspect the connectors in the backbox and make sure all the connectors are plugged in securely, which they are. However, there is one black wire just sticking out not plugged into anything. It's near J118 and this connector is bent downwards making me think the wire got snagged somewhere and pulled the connector its socket's prongs down before getting unattached completely. Image attached.

From looking at J118 in the manual I believe the wire is supposed to connect to J118-3 (J118-3 Black, ground, to playfield boards). Right now only a gray wire is attached to J118. Does that sound right to you all? If, so what are the chances this would solve the issue I'm seeing? I should mention my knowledge in electronics is non-existing.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#8111 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Congrats on your first pin (it won't be your last as they have a habit of multiplying) and also on a great job in identifying the issue.
When balls are continuously launched either the diverters in the subway aren't working and/or the opto switches at the VUKs or trough aren't working. Now J118 provides 12V unregulated power to the opto PCBs that the opto switches hang off, with J118-2 Grey-Yellow being 12V and J118-3 Black being Ground. Given that the black ground wire has come off the opto switches won't be functioning and the machine cannot determine the true state. Turn the machine off and try reattaching the ground wire to J118-3, note that it's best to use a proper IDC punch tool (eg https://www.pinball.co.uk/tools/molex-idc-tool-0-1/ and https://www.pinball.co.uk/tools/molex-idc-tool-0-156/ these are the 2 sizes used in the machine)
FYI https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC is also a great reference and helps walk you through various issues and how to troubleshoot.
Let us know know how you get on

Thanks for the quick and detailed response! Without knowing the name of the tool I needed I had a rough time searching for it so I very much appreciate the links. Just ordered them, so will let you know how everything turns out.

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

I know you are excited to play your machine. I certainly would suggest technically going through your machine FIRST. (why?) It's nearly 30 years old. And this Blog is fantastic to read, yes, all 162 pages which will answer every question you have and more. The TIE BACK MOD is a must, if it's not already done on your machine. Look for burned up connectors in the backbox. You've got a worthy and great machine to now care for, and immediately playing it will be frustrating and possibly damaging unless checking it over first.

Well said! Unfortunately it looks like the TIE BACK MOD wasn't done and the machine is still using the AA batteries. Looks like a bit more work before I can play. From what I gather though all the work is worth it in the end.

#8114 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

There is no reason why you can't start putting some games through your machine (once you've reconnected the 12V ground wire). On the AA batteries, immediately swap them out for some new ones (preferably lithium as they are not prone to leaking like alkaline batteries), down the track you can decide whether you want to move the batteries to a remote holder (if not already done) or replace the battery with either a coin style battery or NVRAM. As for the tieback mod, while this is good practice and recommended, if you double check the solder connection of the existing tieback wire (the thinner purple-green wire) on the drop target, there no reason why you can't power on your machine to test it and even put some games on it. The issue is that solder connections on coils fatigue over time especially due to the vibrations from the coil/plunger firing and those wires can come off, typically with most coil wires this doesn't cause an issue (unless the 50V wire touches some else) however if the tieback wire comes off on a STTNG then it'll damage the 8 driver board. So if your game doesn't have the tieback mod, just ensure for the time being that the existing factory installed tieback wire is solidly connected.

Just grabbed some lithium batteries to hold me over until I'm ready to go with one of the other solutions. Out of curiosity which of those options did you go with? Just checked and thankfully the solder connections look good! I may be able to playtest sooner than I thought

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

There are several solutions for the Tie Back, I did them all after burning up the mini 8 driver board and locking on a subway coil (burned up). Certainly looking closely through the machine (inch by inch with a bright light) will allow you to look for burned up connectors, etc. Under the playfield, look for hanging loose wires or wires no longer attached to a nearby location.

Look for things which are broken, possibly missing (loose parts in the bottom of the cabinet). You will find several people in past blogs detail their restoration process. Yes, get those batteries OFF the board. If it doesn't have leds, get the old bulbs out. They draw power and create heat. Remove and examine each fuse for correct size. Some will fall apart as they are removed. And check for grounding straps, there should be one from the backbox down to the inside of the cabinet. Make sure you've got a grounded plug on the machine. Also the machine should have LX-7 firmware, viewable upon power up.

Definitely going to have one of the experienced pinball techs local to me help with the tie-back. It looks easy enough, but given the importance of it I'd like that extra bit of insurance. Checked under the playfield and everything looks good save for a broken bulb at the bottom the cabinet. Quick question, when I pull out the playfield and lift it up can it go fully vertical and rest on the backbox? None of the bulbs are LEDs, so I'm going to have to replace them all. Actually looking forward to that. Got the grounded plug, but just realized I forgot to check for grounded straps. Will also need to check for LX-7 when I'm ready to power up again.

As always, thank you both for your responses!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redpotion.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=redpotion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.